Wii + Opera Browser + Youtube = SWEET STUFF!

synapz25

WiiChat Member
Feb 19, 2008
Okay, Im such a total newb to online forums, but i found out something with my wii that had me giddy like a little school girl. I have read all these forum topics about people wanting to watch videos and what not on thier console. Well heres a little trick that anyone who has a wii with an internet connection and the Opera browser can do... Goto you tube and find a video you would like to watch on your wii. At the bottom of the video window there are some buttons along with the video counter. All the way to the right is the full screen button. Click on that to make the video full screen. Viola!!! Streaming video on your Television. You can use the zoom features to adjust the size and remove or add the controls. Then you can add it to the favorites, and it will always load that way. Kinda like having "channels" inside the Opera browser. I have my toolbar set to "autohide", i think it looks cooler that way. Im pretty sure you can do this with any site, not just Youtube. I havent tried it yet tho. Anywho, I didnt know if it was already posted how to do this, just figured i'd share the wealth. Hope somebody finds this useful.

OH, here's another little cool easter egg i found. When you are loading the news channel and waiting for It to download new stuff. A bunch of cats will dance across the screen to show you its loading. Put your cursor on them and hold down the "a" button. You can even move the cursor around a bit. check it out. Nothing big, jsut thought it was interesting.

Thanks Everybody.

theshit.jpg

i know your kinda of a newb to this, but anyone who has had there Wii over a week probably knows that, including me, since i've had mine since a few months after launch. I thought it was pretty cool, and i got the Internet channel for free. This was good for anyone who didn't know by now.

IdiotStorm said:
...This was good for anyone who didn't know by now.
thanks for posting, synapz25! it's not uncommon to see similar articles posted in wiichat... even the vets posts topics that have been covered.

i like that graphic... you look like you use it for your signature pic

if you wish to use it as a signature i will be glad to help you have it automatically be included with each of your posts... :yesnod:

I tried youtube out as soon as I dl opera : )
Though I think flash aps run smoother when they're zoomed out a little more than taking up the full screen.
There's still more potential for Opera that I hope they could make. Well I don't know how much they can push the Wii's limit but things like not changing the page when you click option (maybe tab browsing) and more user friendly keyboard support.

its a pity google videos dont work.

I wish Wii would let you add quicktime and wmv support into their opera browser as well as flash apps. I know youtube is flash but it seems thats the only flash app to work.

Wii+YouTube = Unlimited stuff for your tv!!U don't even need a pc to be happy!!!

I agree, it is very cool. I also agree that even though this is probably common knowledge to many regulars here, I bet there are *many* new wiichat.com visitors every day. The Wii's popularity and scarcity is such that new owners are gonna be looking for somewhere to talk about them for some time to come.

Take it from me....a Wiichat member of about 3 weeks! :)

nice_wii said:
Except you need it to hook a router into :lol: but you dont need 2 pcs.:wink:

U can use a laptop to configure the router and then it is useless. U don't need a pc to be connected to the internet with your wii.

The only problem I see in this, is that when you zoom in then the video will be some-what of a pixelized mess and doesn't look very good. Hopefully one day Nintendo will have a Video streaming channel with high-res videos.

Here is a site for use mainly on your Wii. It will search many different sites (mainly youtube) for your Query. the link is http://viewii.com/

Back