Wii Overheating Test

PtonJalken

Ptowwnaagee!
Dec 25, 2006
Canada
Wii Online Code
7740-5070-1158-5119
I know posts like this have already happened.

I recently finally turned my Wii online because i got my wireless working. I have heard that the Wii can get quite hot. So im running some tests.

Im wondering if anyone has tested their Wii over a long period of non-stop connection to see if it survives?

Ive been moving my Wii around every day from 2 spots to keep it off a hot surface. Im not disconnecting my Wii even if it melts (doubt it lol) since i want to see if Nintendo put any thought into the fact they get hot.. i got the 90+ day waranty and such so lots of test time lol. Probably just going to try a week of non-stop, if its gonna overheat it will do it before that time.

Because afterall, whats the point of Wiimail and Wiiconnect24 if its not on 24/7 and you cant get your messages?

well my wii has been connected 24/7 since december 8th when i brought it and still works fine

And this is nonstop? ( or not long breaks anyways ).

I had it on Horizontal for a bit and noticed after 12-24 hours the bottom gets HOT from being close to ground. Verticle is the way to go for Wiiconnect24 i believe.

oh come on people, this is ninty hardware!

agreed, nothing in indestructable, but i've been buying ninty since NES,,. bombproof. dropped my gameboy colour in a hot bath and it didn't flinch. i dont even dare move my 360!

pauljmuk said:
oh come on people, this is ninty hardware!

agreed, nothing in indestructable, but i've been buying ninty since NES,,. bombproof. dropped my gameboy colour in a hot bath and it didn't flinch. i dont even dare move my 360!

Very true.. i nearly forgot. Im still gonna keep it on 24/7 tho.. its Wiiconnect24 afterall, if it dies. Hello Warranty :thumbsup:

Side note: I dropped my GCN down 15 wooden stairs in my house, didnt even hurt it.

I've had mine connected since November 19th as well :D
I first had it horizontal on the ground, it seemed to get really warm when it was on wiiconnect24...
I put it on the stand vertically on the table ( since it was on the rug before ), now it IS warm, but its nothing to be worried about. The Wii doesn't have any fans or such, its meant to not overheat.

Funny thing is, its warmer when its on standby connect rather than while playing a game :hand: :prrr: :thumbsup:

Miragepie said:
I first had it horizontal on the ground, it seemed to get really warm when it was on wiiconnect24...
I put it on the stand vertically on the table ( since it was on the rug before ), now it IS warm, but its nothing to be worried about. The Wii doesn't have any fans or such, its meant to not overheat.

Funny thing is, its warmer when its on standby connect rather than while playing a game :hand: :prrr: :thumbsup:

Yeah mine is warmer on standby then when playing a game too. I have had mine horizontally pretty much since I've had it though. My entertainment center shelf is a basic glass shelf designed for my TV. The gamecube wavebird modules won't let it fit on its stand vertically. Although I like how it looks better vertically no big deal to me.

I've dropped my Gamecube so many times its not funny. Thing still works like a dream too. Kinda weird. I too was also afraid to move my xbox360 and even my ps2 lol.

Miragepie said:

thats because when u play games the fan is on.

well, mines verticle now to avoid the surface heat. do you think 48hours (give or take) would of hurt anything while horizontal? (i switched where it layed every 12 hours anyways)

PtonJalken said:
thats because when u play games the fan is on.

well, mines verticle now to avoid the surface heat. do you think 48hours (give or take) would of hurt anything while horizontal? (i switched where it layed every 12 hours anyways)

My opinion: the Wii is warmer when sitting down because less air flow actually gets to its underside. When it is standing vertical more air can pass around it. I have had mine horizontally for 2 months at least though and have experienced no problems.

acphydro said:
My opinion: the Wii is warmer when sitting down because less air flow actually gets to its underside. When it is standing vertical more air can pass around it. I have had mine horizontally for 2 months at least though and have experienced no problems.

the bottom and surface it lays on must get warm?

anyways i may invest in wii cooler system in future for xtra safety lol

I was skateboarding to my friend's house in like, 2003 with my Gamecube in my backpack and I left it unzipped on accident. I ollied up a curb and the cube shot up out of the backpack and slammed to the ground. Still works to this day. :p

Cooler your system is, the longer it will last. I myself am thinking about getting a cooling stand for my system soley because the rents are worried about it getting too hot.

Back