Wii Overheating Test

You'd think they'd cycle on the fan every couple of hours in standby mode to blow off the network card heat. But you don't actually need to unplug the Wii if you're worried, you can just press (and hold) the power button until the light turns red (rather than yellow).

my wii has been using wiiconnect24 since around 3 weeks ago....and it never gets hot.

It depends on the orientation

If your console in placed in vertical position, you will be fine. If you must place it in horizontal position, make sure it's at a good ventilated spot, otherwise, you might risk premature failure.

well i just bought that wii fan cooler that plugs into the usb ports and sits on the back of the wii, it really does work and my wii runs a lot better and never gets warm anymore ever :) only down fall- fan runs all the time and it makes a fan noise lol

yea i went and bought the fan from Gamestop very pleased that the usb ports have power during standby so no longer overheating in standby mode yay and only cost me $10. i am however very surprised at how well the tiny little fan works and how noisy it is but $10 and noise to protect $250 is well worth it to me!

why a cooling fan? i'm reading from other posters that they've been running their wii 24/7 (w/o a fan i'm assuming) and they've had no issues. please tell me you bought it because of the cool led light or the fan noise helps you go to sleep at night!

Yeah, I bought the cooling fan a little over a week ago and although it works very well, the noise is getting on my nerves. That little thing is much louder than I thought it would be.

$15 at EB Games. Well spent??? The jury is still out on this one.

I've had mine on since day one. Its been horizontal that entire time. Yes, it gets hot, but its nothing to worry about. I also leave my discs in the wii. The longest a disc has been in my wii has been 1 month (off and on playing zelda). No signs of melting or wear and tear. They made a good product here.

viperjason said:
I've had mine on since day one. Its been horizontal that entire time. Yes, it gets hot, but its nothing to worry about. I also leave my discs in the wii. The longest a disc has been in my wii has been 1 month (off and on playing zelda). No signs of melting or wear and tear. They made a good product here.
Yes, it is rather warm. I'm guessing it about 120-130F on the outside case. This will make the internal some 150+. It will more likely to shorten the life of your Wii, premature components failure ......

It's definitly a design fault. My guess is that Nintendo will have to enable the fan in standby mode (if wii connect24 is also ON) in the next firmware upgrade.

Before then, my advice is, if your wii connect24 is ON in standby mode, place your console in the vertical position for the peace of mind.

Last edited:
WiiConnect 24 isn't always connected you know. With the Nintendo WiFi USB connector, it keeps popping up every three minutes saying a user is connected. I watched the status, and it shows me that the Wii connects and deconnects each time. It's so damned annoying that it keeps popping up!

Back