Wii Shortage Thru Christmas

I'm not quite sure about this but I think the shortage may, in fact, be bolstering the Wii's sales. When people make a large purchase of $200 or more they usually think about it before they buy it. The has kinda turned into an impulse buy. If someone sees that a store has one they grab it up before its too late. Some people might have waited to buy if it hadn't been for the shortage.

However, I'm not an expert by any means so I could be totally wrong.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with production.
They still are producing at a steady rate, demand is really high right now with new games and Christmas looming. Its not their fault many people want a Wii right? You even said it yourself with your last line there.

Edit: I read a story awhile back that talked about how nintendo had been have trouble increasing the production speed of the processors in the Wii. I'll try and find the story and link it here.

Last edited:
CantGetAWii said:
No, it doesn't have anything to do with production.
They still are producing at a steady rate, demand is really high right now with new games and Christmas looming. Its not their fault many people want a Wii right? You even said it yourself with your last line there.

Production is fine my friend, its the people's demand here that is causing this.
Supply maybe is a better term for you, the supply is not bad.
The demand is.
I think we are mis-understanding each other here, as I never said the production was BAD, however it is the production that is still to blame. Regardless the Supply is much less than the current Demand, and Nintendo despite there best efforts are unable to meet that demand. Debating which is at fault, "Supply or Demand" is kinda like the question, "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?", it's not going to go anywhere. My intentions wasn't to dis you or Nintendo but simply clear the fact that Nintendo's production is unable to meet the current demand, and yes production is to blame for this as it isn't shipping problems or any other possible problem to play. It's merely a difficulty to meet such a high demand. :)

I apologize for this mis-understanding, my original point was simply to clear a possible mis-understanding and instead I managed to create one. In regards to your original post I agree with you actually, it's just the use of the word "production" is too generic of a term and didn't mean for it to reflect Nintendo's ability to produce. (It is difficult to get a point across when you have the up-most respect for someone and even agree with them, however disagree with the choice of words used and continue to preserve that respect.)

It would cost a fortune to open up new locations just to attempt to reduce the overwhelming demand. It iss not in Nintendo's best interest to literally waste that kind of money, not to mention the hysteria is produces from people's anticipation actually adds a little to it's potential sales. Then again, you are at risk of loosing potential sales too if you are unable to keep up as well. It's really an ugly balance, but all in all Nintendo is doing there best to make everyone happy.

I think everyone deserves and needs a Wii, it's just too bad it takes time to get one to everyone. :(

well this was bound to happen since there r a lot of games that everybody r waiting ft but only one, that i kno of, is in decmeber. i think we can survive with the many games coming out already and don't forget we have now a few online that'll we'll nevre stop playing.

haha, im happy i got my wii, no need to rush, considering all i have to worry is ssbb shortages, luckily i live in a small town and not many people even know about the game, so im not preordering it

KrisKhaos said:
I think we are mis-understanding each other here, as I never said the production was BAD, however it is the production that is still to blame. Regardless the Supply is much less than the current Demand, and Nintendo despite there best efforts are unable to meet that demand. Debating which is at fault, "Supply or Demand" is kinda like the question, "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?", it's not going to go anywhere. My intentions wasn't to dis you or Nintendo but simply clear the fact that Nintendo's production is unable to meet the current demand, and yes production is to blame for this as it isn't shipping problems or any other possible problem to play. It's merely a difficulty to meet such a high demand. :)

I apologize for this mis-understanding, my original point was simply to clear a possible mis-understanding and instead I managed to create one. In regards to your original post I agree with you actually, it's just the use of the word "production" is too generic of a term and didn't mean for it to reflect Nintendo's ability to produce. (It is difficult to get a point across when you have the up-most respect for someone and even agree with them, however disagree with the choice of words used and continue to preserve that respect.)

It would cost a fortune to open up new locations just to attempt to reduce the overwhelming demand. It iss not in Nintendo's best interest to literally waste that kind of money, not to mention the hysteria is produces from people's anticipation actually adds a little to it's potential sales. Then again, you are at risk of loosing potential sales too if you are unable to keep up as well. It's really an ugly balance, but all in all Nintendo is doing there best to make everyone happy.

I think everyone deserves and needs a Wii, it's just too bad it takes time to get one to everyone. :(

Fair enough, its fine.
I always like god debates, discussing things with others is great.
You have good knowledge, I hope you stick around.
I to feel for those that will be wiiless this holiday season, but hope that many can find one somewhere.

JAKE196 said:
Reggie said there would be more Wiis for the holiday season so they probably won't be any harder to find than usual.

That may have been true a few months back, as I heard the same thing.
But recently he was interviewed and he said that many people may not get a Wii as the demand is still very high.

Hence the discussion shown here on the first page.

wii shortages are really disappointing so long after its release, but it's that amazing of a system. i recently bought mine off ebay and paid more than i would have had i walked into a store. it was frustrating to pay more, but worth it to finally have the wii. i'd say if you can get the wii for under $300 on ebay, it's a good buy. it'll only skyrocket during the holidays.

Back