Wii storage solution coming in March?

kryten's got it.

why would a company bundle an accessory that an estimated 75% of users would not utilize? and why would they throw in something for free if it would cost them money? do you not understand business? its ALL about final profit, they will do everything they can to cut down on costs. nintendo obviously has a different business model than the others. they realize that a console still is not a very good loss-leader. Well you say they make their money on selling games. Well many of the biggest games arent even produced by microsoft or sony. sure the tech is licensed, but that is never big money.
if the others had figured out that the wii was to be a hit, they all would have done it. it sure seems that people are happy with old tech, versus paying 400+ for cutting edge tech.

kryten's got it.

why would a company bundle an accessory that an estimated 75% of users would not utilize? and why would they throw in something for free if it would cost them money? do you not understand business? its ALL about final profit, they will do everything they can to cut down on costs. nintendo obviously has a different business model than the others. they realize that a console still is not a very good loss-leader. Well you say they make their money on selling games. Well many of the biggest games arent even produced by microsoft or sony. sure the tech is licensed, but that is never big money.
if the others had figured out that the wii was to be a hit, they all would have done it. it sure seems that people are happy with old tech, versus paying 400+ for cutting edge tech.[B/]

dont even get me started on the Wii. its a pathetic excuse for a console and it sells well because kids and grandparents alike enjoy playing the free pack in, wii sports.

im not here to bash the wii though, it makes me look like a prick since im on a wii forum so ill keep my opinions to myself.

and yes i understand business, when i said they shoudlve just thrown in the hard drive i wasnt being 100 percent serious. decisions arent just made like that and when i said that i was under the impression nintendo was making a larger profit off each console at launch. no doubt they make a larger profit now, since the tech is even older. if i had to guess microsoft is breaking even on their consoles now and sony is still losing money trying to play catch up.

its all besides the point. i was just trying to point out that not including a hard drive at launch was another fail for nintendo. they really dicked their hardcore fanbase over and i'll leave it at that.

one last thing though..
if the others had figured out that the wii was to be a hit, they all would have done it
this statement is not true at all. if it were, then sony and microsoft would make the xbox 3 and ps4 like the wii, and we all know thats not going to happen. nice theory though.

Last edited:
and yes i understand business, ...
Not for any reasonable definition of "understand." Your claim that Nintendo could add a hard drive for no extra cost is deeply rooted in fantasy.

i was just trying to point out that not including a hard drive at launch was another fail for nintendo.

I'm afraid I do not understand you, though if your goal is to troll, then I guess I went for the bait.

Nintendo is selling every console they can make. How is that a fail?

IMO their only mistake is to underestimate demand to the extent they have. Considering how much many are willing to pay for a Wii on the secondary market, Nintendo has to be leaving money on the table, no?

dont even get me started on the Wii. its a pathetic excuse for a console and it sells well because kids and grandparents alike enjoy playing the free pack in, wii sports.

im not here to bash the wii though, it makes me look like a prick since im on a wii forum so ill keep my opinions to myself.

Oh the irony... :crazy:

So what you are saying is that Nintendo is not the cutting edge of technology? Did you ever expect them to be?

Let's face it, Nintendo has never been and prolly never will be on the cutting edge, which is pretty smart on their part. Most of their consoles have been hugely sucessful. Why not let Sony and Microsoft slug it out?

Tell me that MS and sony don't wish they had the sales from grandparents and kids... Nintendo kicked their butts with this console and opened a whole new community of customers that MS and Sony continued to ignore.

I personally want to hear your opinons, though they may not be popular on this forum.

i was just trying to point out that not including a hard drive at launch was another fail for nintendo. they really dicked their hardcore fanbase over and i'll leave it at that.

Not trying to be harsh but you stated that the Wii is so popular because of Grandparents and kids, as a earlier poster stated 75% of the people who bought a Wii would not need this to be included. By your own logic it would be stupid for nintendo to waste the time and resource, which would directly cut into their profits, on only 25% of the console sales.

Nintendo ,IMO, needs to give us (people who need it) the option to get a storage solution as an add on.

one last thing though..
if the others had figured out that the wii was to be a hit, they all would have done it
this statement is not true at all. if it were, then sony and microsoft would make the xbox 3 and ps4 like the wii, and we all know thats not going to happen. nice theory though.

I do not agree with you on this because the Wii's main target audience is NOT the hardcore gamer. This is shown by the console itself with the lack of HD and grapics engines. Once again Nintendo is not trying to be a Xbox or PS3, they are being Nintendo and recreated themselves, and did it very successfully, just look at the numbers sold worldwide.

Hub

f it were, then sony and microsoft would make the xbox 3 and ps4 like the wii, and we all know thats not going to happen. nice theory though.
then whats with micros new dashboard, sure seems that they now have 'miis'

Not for any reasonable definition of "understand." Your claim that Nintendo could add a hard drive for no extra cost is deeply rooted in fantasy.

I think he was just using a generalization and he has a point with some of his other statements. When you look across the whole console sales, nintendo could have included a storage solution for very low additional cost when you span that across millions of consoles. Free or no cost? Nope not gonna happen, there is always a cost associated it. But raising the cost of a console by 10-20 bucks would have seen very close to same sales numbers IMO.

IMO their only mistake is to underestimate demand to the extent they have.

Agreed but they, as a company cannot bet the farm on a single "what if".

Hub

wow you guys are soooo business minded(no one cares). Anyway, 20 more days till nintendo announces a delay in the update relase!! YAY!!

I just hope that Nintendo will offer an update for SDHC Flash and external USB harddrive.

I hope, by March the Infinity Ward developers implement DLC for COD:MW2 on Wii, becose we want this feature ready when the game launch.
Can you imagine the amazing maps that this version will be have?
It will be so great!!

I am still highly skeptical as to wether that game will see a Wii release or not. Infinity Ward has never developed a game on a Nintendo console. Hopefully the marginal sucess that COD:WaW has had will entice them to release it on Wii.

Back on topic: I think if Nintendo's next console used High Capacity SD cards (which I believe go up to almost 30 gigs), that would be fine. Just pack in a 10-15 GB SD card with every Wii2 and I believe most gamers will be satisfied.

Back on topic: I think if Nintendo's next console used High Capacity SD cards (which I believe go up to almost 30 gigs), that would be fine. Just pack in a 10-15 GB SD card with every Wii2 and I believe most gamers will be satisfied.
SDHC is specified to go to 32 GB and can be implemented by modifying the drivers.

If Nintendo modifies the drivers to allow game play directly from the SD card, it would surprise me if they didn't also roll in the changes to support SDHC.

The other opportunity for extra storage is USB, But since they're already using SD for storage, it might be easier to upgrade that to SDHC than to add support for external USB devices which come in a wide variety of configurations (flash and hard drives of various sizes.)

SDHC is specified to go to 32 GB and can be implemented by modifying the drivers.

If Nintendo modifies the drivers to allow game play directly from the SD card, it would surprise me if they didn't also roll in the changes to support SDHC.

The other opportunity for extra storage is USB, But since they're already using SD for storage, it might be easier to upgrade that to SDHC than to add support for external USB devices which come in a wide variety of configurations (flash and hard drives of various sizes.)

I just don't see why Wii needs 32GB. I guess eventually it will huh?

I just don't see why Wii needs 32GB. I guess eventually it will huh?
It probably doesn't. That just means that SDHC would provide sufficient storage for the foreseeable future and could meet the need until the next generation arrives.

I don't know what would drive the need for more storage. My experience with IT is that the data expands to fill the space available. :D

In my particular case, I think that DLC and add-ons for GH:WT and RB2 could meet that need. I could see a track pack that would load to SD and then be available when you load the game.

Back