Wii Tennis side spin?

Gregolution

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
First off - thank you Nintendo for revolutionizing the industry once again. :D

Just a question about spins in Tennis. the first time I played tennis I was pleasantly surprised with how responsive the controls were - it was incredibly fun and surprassed all expectations. The second time I played I realised there was alot more to it and I could even control the height of my ball by mimicking real life movements of a tennis racket. Last night I was playing and managed side spin!?

Am I imagining this or is it really possible to put side spin on your shots as well? I'm having so much fun with the wii, just want some confirmation that others are doing the same thing in the tennis and I'm not just over excited and dreaming all these controls up :)

hmm...what do you mean by side spin? as in when it bounces it goes off to the side because of a spin? or if you hit it early it goes to the side of the court? I'm assuming you mean the first one, in which case i have no idea how you did, but I'd like to know how you did it ^_^"

also, about that second case, does anyone know how to hit those balls that hit like right on the line on the mid-left/-right of the court? My mii is usually near the middle or a little closer to where the ball will land, but i can NEVER hit those!!! thats how my girlfriend beats me at Wii Tennis -__-'

-SpideyKonfusion -__________-'

I mean side spin as in spin that makes the ball go left or right after the bounce. Me and a friend managed it a few times last night.

Nice sig ;)

yes you can put spin on the ball i did it the other day then i realised that you can do lots of movements including chiping it

Gregolution said:
I mean side spin as in spin that makes the ball go left or right after the bounce. Me and a friend managed it a few times last night.

Nice sig ;)

Why thank you very much! :D

And how do you do all these fancy things? I know that when i hold down the A/B button i hit it lower/higher (or its the other way around, i can never remember). so that sometimes when I hit the ball and im holding A (or B, dont remember) it hits the net because i hit it lower....but yea...howd you do it?

-SpideyKonfusion :O

im not sure i havent got my wii yet im gettin it on xmas day but are get my cousin whos got 1 to tell you

I've posed the same question and I have done it a few times, but I have never been able to do it on a consistent basis.

Plus for the times that I have done it, I have never used any of the buttons, its all movement.

I don't think that you are able to use the buttons to perform differents shoots. It's all in the movement of the wiiMote.
I'm able to put spin on the ball by rotating the wii mote almost 90 degress to the left. Making the same on the backwards move is a bit more difficult, but it works too.

I actually think the buttons do do something. When I hit the ball with B, i notice it gets a lot more "air," if you will. If I hit it with A, I sometimes end up hitting the net because it goes lower and I am hitting it with the back person across the court. Normally, if you do the same without holding a button, there would be few times you hit the net, but the more I hold A, the more of a chance I will hit the net and it will either barely bounce of the top and make it to the other court, or hit a little lower and bounce back to my side.

The difference is very very small, but its still something. I agree that it is pretty much the Wiimote movement though, but try it out next time you play some Wii Tennis. I'll have to try that spin and backspin though

-SpideyKonfusion :p

I really don't think the buttons do anything. There is a way to put side spin but I'm not sure how it is done. You can hit a "knuckle ball" if you don't rotate the controller at all through the shot. And if you rotate the controller forward you can put topspin. I'm sure if you rotate the controller sideways, you can put sidespin on the shot.

SpideyKonfusion said:
I actually think the buttons do do something. When I hit the ball with B, i notice it gets a lot more "air," if you will. If I hit it with A, I sometimes end up hitting the net because it goes lower and I am hitting it with the back person across the court. Normally, if you do the same without holding a button, there would be few times you hit the net, but the more I hold A, the more of a chance I will hit the net and it will either barely bounce of the top and make it to the other court, or hit a little lower and bounce back to my side.

The difference is very very small, but its still something. I agree that it is pretty much the Wiimote movement though, but try it out next time you play some Wii Tennis. I'll have to try that spin and backspin though

-SpideyKonfusion :p

Maybe when you're pushing the buttons, your hand is slightly moved (or tilted), causing the change? Not accusing you of anything - the buttons may have an effect...just thinking out loud.

tonyr1988 said:
Maybe when you're pushing the buttons, your hand is slightly moved (or tilted), causing the change? Not accusing you of anything - the buttons may have an effect...just thinking out loud.

Hmm....you may be right Arkansas (hope you dont mind me calling you that :D)...I'll have to play around with it some more then. I won't be able to till after winter break, my Wii is at my apt. and i didnt bring it home because my parents dont know I bought it >_> bwahahah!

-SpideyKonfusion ^_^"

I managed to do a super serve this morning! no idea how!! it caned it over the net! he returned it but it was out :)

Back