Wii wireless not working with your router? Few tips

Xanthan

Hardcore Gamer
Nov 30, 2006
Augusta, GA
Wii Online Code
6188-0435-3585-1038
When I first got my Wii I had problems finding my wireless network, was pissing me off. Well the problem was that the Wii wireless apparently only uses 802.11b, well since all of the other wireless devices in my house use 802.11g I had my router set to G only and not mixed B+G. I hear this can actually slow down your G devices on the network but since I want to use my Wii's wireless I didn't have much choice but to switch my router to B+G. Worked like a charm, just a tip to those of you having wireless problems.

My Wii connects to my router just fine and it's set to G-only. So it's untrue that it only supports 802.11b.

if it does support G, then maybe certain routers have a different way of handling backward compatibility for A,B,G etc. I have a very popular Linksys Wireless G router (WRT54G) with current firmware. And the Wii would not find my network in G only mode. Only when I switched to to mixed mode (B+G) did it find the network. I'm sure there will be other people in my same boat, so to save some folks the headache and hairpulling I'm posting this.

Well I use a WRT54GC so I'm not sure how different our routers may be, but to say it doesn't support wireless-G at all is incorrect.

Doing a mixed mode can affect wireless' output as it's running at a more compatible signal range speeds will most likely be lowered to fit the needs of wireless-B. Just trying to point out that you most likely don't have to do this to prepare your router for your Wii, instead if you do run into problems then try doing this mixed mode.

Kyusaku said:
My Wii connects to my router just fine and it's set to G-only. So it's untrue that it only supports 802.11b.

Dude, unless you've got the most unique Wii in the world, the wireless chipset Nintendo used is 802.11b only. Go check any of the tech sites that dissected it. More likely, you don't realize your AP supports b and g.

My router does support B and G but the config is set to G-only. In this mode my Wii has no problems checking for updates and checking the Wii Shop channel. So I'm not so sure why it might be working if this is true. I even reset the connection in the Wii config. And it detects and connects to the router just fine. So if what you say is true then there might be something wrong with my router not updating its config.

Thanks

Thanks for posting that tip. I spent several frustrating hours trying to configure my wireless router in different ways in a fruitless effort to get my Wii online. I was on the verge of buying a signal booster (which Nintendo recommends on their site) before I ran across your post. Switching to g/b mixed mode got me online in no time. I sure wish Nintendo would post this info on their support page. Thanks again---you saved me $50.

JKarp said:
Dude, unless you've got the most unique Wii in the world, the wireless chipset Nintendo used is 802.11b only. Go check any of the tech sites that dissected it. More likely, you don't realize your AP supports b and g.

Wrong mate, the Wii is a mixed-mode device which supports 802.11b and 802.11g

From Nintendo's own website..

For online connectivity, choose a router which supports the following standards:

802.11G/ 802.11B (or mixed)
Most routers currently sold offer these settings. Check the box to make sure the router supports these broadcast standards. Routers that mention 802.11N or pre-N (also MIMO) may not be compatible with the Wii.

and HERE is a direct link to the article.

Goots said:
Wrong mate, the Wii is a mixed-mode device which supports 802.11b and 802.11g

From Nintendo's own website..

For online connectivity, choose a router which supports the following standards:

802.11G/ 802.11B (or mixed)
Most routers currently sold offer these settings. Check the box to make sure the router supports these broadcast standards. Routers that mention 802.11N or pre-N (also MIMO) may not be compatible with the Wii.

and HERE is a direct link to the article.

Don't be a twat and dig up old threads. This has been beaten to death here. The wireless chipset in the Wii is g capable, but the current driver doesn't work right. I'm sure N will get the kinks worked out eventually, but for now, mixed-mode is required. Go read up on N's support site and see for yourself.

JKarp said:
Don't be a twat and dig up old threads. This has been beaten to death here. The wireless chipset in the Wii is g capable, but the current driver doesn't work right. I'm sure N will get the kinks worked out eventually, but for now, mixed-mode is required. Go read up on N's support site and see for yourself.

Edit : I did reply to this comment, but then retracted it. If you can't speak with a civil tongue, don't bother.

Last edited:
Back