Wii with DVD player

airforce91

Jesus freak
Dec 27, 2006
Nintendo announced a while ago that a wii with a DVD player built in would be out mid '07. That'll be convenient, but i wonder if they could, like, ramp up the graphics a bit, say maybe a CPU that gets 1 Ghz(that about as powerful as a laptop which we have in our garage which was made in 2000). The only thing that i dont like about the wii is its (compared with PS3 and 360) mediocre graphics. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra for slighty better graphics. So would it be possible for them to release a special edition wii with better specs?

The answer is simply no. Won't happen. It would cause compatibility issues if developers decided only to produce games for the higher sepc machine. Also, I'm pretty sure the WiiDVD version is for Japan only.

And you (the OP) would be wrong if you think on PC/laptop terms while considering consoles.

Consoles heavily depend on optimization for gameplay performance and can therefore surpass a PC of similar or even better tech specs.

While people think of Wii as being weak because it's not a supercomputer-in-a-box, I'd like to remind you that PS2 has 300MHz CPU and 32MB RAM. Think of what they could do with it (like God of War) and multiply it with a solid factor of 2.5, because that's how powerful the Wii is.

If you're still not satisfied, it's time to buy a PC for your high-performance needs :)

What would happen to everyone with the old Wiis? They'd have to produce two versions of every game. Not going to happen

Well I won't believe it until Nintendo actually says something and I think if they did do that it would be very wrong of them.

Nintendo has never said that the wii with dvd playback will be released anywhere outside of Japan.

Nintendo would never support this on america

EK987 said:
Suppose they do come out with a Wii that supports DVD playback in America. For all of us who own Wiis already, do you think there would be some sort of add on to play DVDs? Kind of like the HD DVD player for the X-Box 360. If you're not familiar with the add on HD DVD player, here's a link:

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/hd-dvd/03.jpg

Nope. Mainly because a stand alone DVD player will set you back around £20 these days, not worth Nintendo even investing in. The reason that Japan are having the DVD version is because they're special :shocked:

Or we could always get a firmware update that would support reading a standard DVD since the wii game discs are DVD discs....just burned backwards.

alright, thanks guys, i wasn't bagging out the Wii in saying that, i just wanted to know if it was possible. I love the wii

Thanks

Back