Wii'll come in colous, upgrades and be cheaper in the new year.

wiifreek said:
Colors are horrid , the dvd playback is NOT needed and the price reduction is no where near 2007 time frame. FALSE !

You obviously don't know how to read, because DVD playback is confirmed. Price reduction will obviously come soon to keep competition up. Just like the 360 dropped sometime after launch, the Wii and PS3 will too.

And finally, if you're expecting any colors, it'd be these ones:
07.jpg

Yeah...the red and black ones are cool.

Edit: Oh yeah...DVD playback isn't really needed...I'm sure everyone probably has a DVD player...if not, they probably won't have a Wii. Just what I think.

Homesrfan said:
Wow... this is getting old.

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING!!
I couldn't agree more:thumbsup: Also despite what that source says, DVD playback has been confirmed only for JAPAN, late 07 with a price increase.

Uh huh.

Confirmed, like back in August when everybody thought the Wiimote would have 3d motion sensing and 1:1 mapping of everything you did.

Where the hell is the source for this anyways? "They’ve already confirmed a DVD-playing version of the Wii is in the works", when you CONFIRM something, you're supposed to provide SOURCES, otherwise you're just BULLSHITTING ;)

Edit: Ah, I see, GotFrag is their source (some company I've never heard of), and GotFrag's source is some freaking Toys 'R Us manager. I don't believe it for a second, but hey, if you believe it, I have some snake oil you might be interested in.

Edit again:

I sent an email to Nintendo asking them in detail about this, I'll post the reply as soon as I get one.

Last edited:
actually the new wii + cheaper will mean this: Everyone who bought a wii early will return theres because they want a newer better one Or: Everyone without a wii and looking will get a cheaper price on one and new selection of color along with dvd :p (Yes CHEAPER AND DVD)

soo erm if u dnt have the dvd version u wont be able to play dvds?

Honestly, I don't think this will really happen.

I mean, it COULD happen, but do you really think Nintendo would WANT almost 4 million Wii's that would suddenly become outdated, because of a newer Wii, that costs less and can play DVD's?

snake%20oil.jpg

Seriously.

match002001 said:
Wasn't it already confirmed that it will be in a software update?

I have heard of this, but never once have I actually seen a verifiable claim of it.

Nobody has actually linked to a real source, like Official Nintendo Magazine or something.

Well lets put it this way, The Wii does infact use a DVD-ROM. The only thing that is missing would be the actual codec in order to play movies.

Does Nintendo really want over 2 million or so people to be pissed off?

I hardly think so.

MaXiMiUS said:
Uh huh.

Confirmed, like back in August when everybody thought the Wiimote would have 3d motion sensing and 1:1 mapping of everything you did.

Where the hell is the source for this anyways? "They’ve already confirmed a DVD-playing version of the Wii is in the works", when you CONFIRM something, you're supposed to provide SOURCES, otherwise you're just BULLSHITTING ;)

Edit: Ah, I see, GotFrag is their source (some company I've never heard of), and GotFrag's source is some freaking Toys 'R Us manager. I don't believe it for a second, but hey, if you believe it, I have some snake oil you might be interested in.

Edit again:

I sent an email to Nintendo asking them in detail about this, I'll post the reply as soon as I get one.
DVD playback in Japan Only
Proof
More Proof

Nice finding! Sucky news though! I'm sure that sooner or later someone will crack it and find a way to play DVDs on the Wii before it gets released into the US.

I can't see them doing a price decrease as of yet, there is no competition in the price range. H/W upgrade, maybe but I doub't it would be something like a faster processor or better graphics so soon. My guess is if anything they might have found cheaper suppliers and can eliminate a few components to lower the cost. As people point out it would be crazy and a marketing nightmare to create a new H/W version of the Wii that wasn't exactly compatible with the current one (with a software upgrade). I can think of a few items I've bought in the past that this has happened with. If they can make it work the same but cheaper why not.

Back