Will US gamecube discs work in a UK Wii?

Steve r

WiiChat Member
Sep 18, 2006
Hi,

I'm really looking fwd the release of the Wii and am trying to decide which version to get.

It might be a bit early for anyone to answer this i know but....

Does anyone know yet if the consoles will be region specific?

I'm from the UK and have a US gamecube at the moment with a fair few games so need to know if the UK Wii will play the US games. If not then i guess i'll have to get the US version.

cheers

steve

Nintendo has stated that all 1st party Wii games, a.k.a. games that they develop, will be region-free, but 3rd party Wii games may or may not, depending on the game publisher.

Now, will GC games from other regions work on the UK Wii? Um, I'm sort of guessing no because as far as I know, Gamecube was region-locked and Wii just emulates the Gamecube, so it's probably not going to happen. I was wondering the same thing about the PS3 a while ago.

Sam_Harris said:
no it is all region free including the console not just the games
Wow, that made no since. The whole idea behind region coding is that the game and the system have to match. Although, this could explain why the news is so spit. Maybe the consoles are region-locked for the gamecube discs and Wii games will be open. However, I am guessing that the whole thing will be locked, it makes things a lot easier on the technical side.

NateTheGreat said:
Nintendo has stated that all 1st party Wii games, a.k.a. games that they develop, will be region-free, but 3rd party Wii games may or may not, depending on the game publisher.

Now, will GC games from other regions work on the UK Wii? Um, I'm sort of guessing no because as far as I know, Gamecube was region-locked and Wii just emulates the Gamecube, so it's probably not going to happen. I was wondering the same thing about the PS3 a while ago.

the wii has the gamecube chips inside i believe, so theres no need for emulation

and you can only play us gamecube games on a uk one if they are region free

Back