Will Wii Owners Buy A Ps3 This Christmas?

i only have a wii but if i were to get anything it would be the 360 microsoft has the best line up of games i think

I had to go buy a PS3 cause the Wii just don't have any new games worth playing, got bored with metroid and stopped playing, Gh3 Is cool but I can't play that all the time.
So now I'we got PS3+ Resistance, Aces, Tekken5, Uncharted, Turok and Assassins creed.

I'm not getting another console any time soon. I only bought the Wii this early because I got a large bonus at work and spent a little of it on myself. I'm actually an adult so "mature" games don't appeal that much to me and I grew tired of shooters a long time ago (except for shooters in the classic sense like Raiden or Radiant Silvergun). That leaves me with little to look forward to from the other consoles. Besides, the weather is warming up so my yearly dumping of cash into my boat is about to start again. As fun as playing video games is, I'd rather be at the lake.

I just bought one on Monday, and am glad I did.

The Wii just wasn't doing it for me and my friends. The lack of games, downloadable content to extend current games (we don't touch GH3 anymore), and lack of online helped push my decision. Not counting the Wii, I play mostly RPG, FPS, and strategy games. Since I don't see the Wii getting any games within these genres that aren't simplified, I made the decision to buy a PS3.

In general, I just got sick of all the casual/shovelware/children's games in general that I see coming out, and needed something with more meat to it. I'm also a PC gamer, so the ability to use a keyboard+mouse, and the ability to install Linux on the PS3 was a big draw.

I'm surprised that hardly anyone has brought up the fact that Blu-Ray has won the format war and due to this and the fact that the PS3 is the cheapest and arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market to date, I would think everyone would be hopping on the PS3 bandwagon, if not for the gaming, but for the Blu-Ray disc capabilities!

jeagle82 said:
I'm surprised that hardly anyone has brought up the fact that Blu-Ray has won the format war and due to this and the fact that the PS3 is the cheapest and arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market to date, I would think everyone would be hopping on the PS3 bandwagon, if not for the gaming, but for the Blu-Ray disc capabilities!

Why is that surprising? Most people don't even have HDTVs. BluRay might've won a format war against HD-DVD but it's still getting slaughtered by DVD sales. It's going to be a lot harder to unseat DVD than it was to unseat VHS. You can get a DVD player with component out for about $30 right now and the quality while not HD is pretty good. Until you can get a decent BluRay player for around $100, I doubt too many people are going to make the switch.

I was going to get it yersterday actually...
But two of my mates at college reported that their PS3s drives stuffed up...
I am stilll waiting to see if this is a common fault.
Perhaps Sony used the cheapest Blu-Ray player they could find?

Oh and a lot more ppl have HDTV's than you think. They too are getting VERY cheap. (50" plasma for $1900 Australian new cheap)

hal2814 said:
Why is that surprising? Most people don't even have HDTVs. BluRay might've won a format war against HD-DVD but it's still getting slaughtered by DVD sales. It's going to be a lot harder to unseat DVD than it was to unseat VHS. You can get a DVD player with component out for about $30 right now and the quality while not HD is pretty good. Until you can get a decent BluRay player for around $100, I doubt too many people are going to make the switch.

You ARE right about DVD sales beating Blu-Ray sales hands down. And you're also right, there are very many households that still have not purchased an HDTV yet and would have no use for a Next-Gen HD player. However, the HDTV market is the fastest growing one in consumer electronics and the number of people buying HDTVs is growing exponentially, especially with the technology getting better and cheaper now than ever before. I personally know dozens of people that have bought an HDTV recently or are planning on buying an HDTV within the next month or so, and their next big purchase is probably going to be a Blu-Ray player.

I also have a ton of family members and friends who were waiting for the format war to end before they spent a dime on either type of player. Now that Blu-Ray has pretty much won the war, expect the number of Blu-Ray player sales to skyrocket, especially as it gets closer to Christmas!

This is why it is surprising to me, because with the PS3, you're not only getting a next-gen gaming system, but you're also getting a top-of-the-line home entertainment system that has arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market.

Back