Zack & Wiki sinks without trace at retail

blume9370

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
Zack & Wiki Sinks Without Trace At Retail
Damien McFerran.

Shame on you all!

Zack & Wiki, otherwise known as Capcom’s ode to the classic ‘point and click’ adventures of old, is a fantastic game. It’s heartening to see a developer like Capcom putting so much effort into brand new intellectual property and it’s even more encouraging when the end product is so wonderfully polished and enjoyable.

But there’s one slight problem: no one bought it.

After scraping into the Japanese sales charts at a mediocre 29th, the thoroughly likeable game met a similar fate in the States, barely registering on the radar of many Wii owners. The Euro release takes place on 18th January but we're not expecting it to topple the likes of Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed: Prostreet, to be perfectly honest.

We simply cannot fathom why this is the case here at NintendoLife Towers; this is a triple A title worthy of anyone’s time and money, yet it vanishes almost without trace at retail. What is wrong with the general public? (And by ‘general public’, we naturally mean you.)

It’s hard to complain about a lack of innovation when titles of this quality fail to entice people to part with their cold, hard cash. We only hope that this won’t put Capcom off experimenting with new franchises in the future.

i saw no advertising for this game at all and come to think of it i have not even seen it at walmart which is where i get most of my games. how are people going to buy something they no nothing about?

I haven't checked to see where all I've seen it, but Best Buy (where I bought mine) had several of them, and I know I've seen the game elsewhere, so it's out there, you're just skipping over it.

As far as advertising, if there is any, I haven't seen it.

Either way, I agree with this article, the game is one of the best out of the 16 games I own (including popular favs like RE 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Metroid, and others). It's only $40, too. I think the game will appeal more to people in my age group (25) who grew up playing King's Quest, Torrin's Passage, and other classic point-and-clicks, but it definitely gets a recommendation from me for any age group.

Im looking forward to this game as well. If I wouldnt already be buying medal of honor and BWii I would definatly buy this game!

Im trying to rent it close to release date to do a review about it and try to inspire some dutch people in buyin it!

I will get this game someday! Maybe in march or april when I got some cash and played trough medal of honor and BWii

cyberzomby said:
Im looking forward to this game as well. If I wouldnt already be buying medal of honor and BWii I would definatly buy this game!

Im trying to rent it close to release date to do a review about it and try to inspire some dutch people in buyin it!

I will get this game someday! Maybe in march or april when I got some cash and played trough medal of honor and BWii
uhhh its already out, this just proves how even wii fans on forums are blinded by nintendo's games.

Sovieto said:
uhhh its already out, this just proves how even wii fans on forums are blinded by nintendo's games.

Not in Europe, we're a good few months behind america and japan release wise. PAL is FTL.

Are you serious?! I was totally going to buy this game when I make myself some free time..

Its a shame to hear this news.
Game can still be found at some places around me, advertising or the lack of it killed this game. I was hoping for a sequel of some sort.

blume9370 said:
Zack & Wiki Sinks Without Trace At Retail
Damien McFerran.

Shame on you all!

Zack & Wiki, otherwise known as Capcom’s ode to the classic ‘point and click’ adventures of old, is a fantastic game. It’s heartening to see a developer like Capcom putting so much effort into brand new intellectual property and it’s even more encouraging when the end product is so wonderfully polished and enjoyable.

But there’s one slight problem: no one bought it.

After scraping into the Japanese sales charts at a mediocre 29th, the thoroughly likeable game met a similar fate in the States, barely registering on the radar of many Wii owners. The Euro release takes place on 18th January but we're not expecting it to topple the likes of Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed: Prostreet, to be perfectly honest.

We simply cannot fathom why this is the case here at NintendoLife Towers; this is a triple A title worthy of anyone’s time and money, yet it vanishes almost without trace at retail. What is wrong with the general public? (And by ‘general public’, we naturally mean you.)

It’s hard to complain about a lack of innovation when titles of this quality fail to entice people to part with their cold, hard cash. We only hope that this won’t put Capcom off experimenting with new franchises in the future.

i saw no advertising for this game at all and come to think of it i have not even seen it at walmart which is where i get most of my games. how are people going to buy something they no nothing about?

I saw that last night and was gonna post it, you did instead, thanks.

What bothers me about this is that people complain about the lack of quality and origilal games on the wii, but when one is actualy made for it, it dosen't sell well! The same goes for uneque games for other systems like Okami, Ico and psychonoughts.

I notice a nasty pattem in game making: The choices in the kinds of games that are made are very limited in scope, ie FPS, there are all kinds of them, but they are basicly the same at their roots. Same goes for sports games and racing games. If we want originality than we have to make that desire known with our wallets.

Sovieto said:

I'm a Nintendo wii fan and Im not "blinded" by Nintendo games. I buy what I like and what I consider a good game. Zakk and Wiki is a good and original game and I am very disappointed that it didn't sell well.

Sovieto said:
the nintendo console curse begins again...

There wouldn't BE a so called "Nintendo console curse" if third parties actualy put in the effort to make decent games for the Nintendo consoles!

Take the N64 and the Gamecube, both did horribly and third parties either didn't support them or made shovelware for them.

And it's even WORSE for the wii!

Can you really blame Nintendo fans for pefering Ninendo games over third parties?

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
Like 3 people said already not anymore. And how can you even say that about a person. Just like im

D'uuuuuuh ( drewl ) Nintendooooooooo

Im looking forward to this game a lot since I heard about it. I just didnt knew medal of honor and BWii got pushed back so much! If I already had those I would seriously buy Zack and Wiki

cyberzomby said:
Like 3 people said already not anymore. And how can you even say that about a person. Just like im

D'uuuuuuh ( drewl ) Nintendooooooooo

Im looking forward to this game a lot since I heard about it. I just didnt knew medal of honor and BWii got pushed back so much! If I already had those I would seriously buy Zack and Wiki
its not your fault, its nintendo's fault for shrouding the wii with too great of first party titles.

See, what they should have done was named the game "Mario & Luigi: Quest for Links' Treasure" and it would have sold like hot Mario cakes. Keep the gameplay and graphics the same though.

I think the funny part about all of this is that instead of complaining about how no one has bought this quality game, we should be out telling everyone we know that has a Wii about the game. I got my sister to buy this game, and am trying to get some friends to get it as well.

In fact the other day I was standing in Best Buy picking up a Zapper and a guy asked me if I owned a Wii, I said yes and he asked if I can suggest any games. I told him about a couple of main titles, some things to stay away from and then I showed him Zack and Wiki and highly suggested it. He picked it up and walked away with it.

Capcom isn't going to advertise for this game, so let's do it for them. Besides, word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Back