50hz or 60hz in PAL? which is better?

pluto2

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Hey!

I don't have a LCD TV so 480p is out of the question for me. What I wonder about though is whatever I should be using 50hz or 60hz? Which is better? Do they all work on all tv's? (mine is pretty old). Also, I have the RGB cable, does this change this in any way? I'm puzzled, what should I be using? I use 50hz now and it looks great, would 60hz look even better or what? I thought 60hz was for NTSC and 50hz for PAL.

Kristian

strange, why would they put the option in then? I'm puzzled! Any other voices here about this?

Would just any TV allow that or does it take a high-end TV or something?

normal tvs do allow for 60htz but not older tvs. older tvs give a black and white picture if they cant support 60htz.

So basically if I don't get a blackwhite picture when switching to 60hz I'd get a better picture that way, be it a noticably better one or not?

yea if you dont get a black and white picture when switching to 60htz then you are fine. it should run at a smoother rate than at 50htz.

I have a tv that doesn't support 60hz. Pity cos some games are 60hz only (Metroid Prime 2 and Geist for certain). Most gamecube games let you test out if you can use 60hz. I would say if its over 15 years old, you may have trouble.

well mine isn't THAT bad, it may be 10 but sure not 15, I'm gonna give it a shot!

yeah, try and see, that the best way..

60hz is just a higher refresh rate, meaning the picture itself will be refreshed more often per second, so a more defined image.

i have tried some of the games in both modes, it would be hard to tell a difference

I wonder why Nintendo would have a PAL and NTSC option....PAL is really mean't for a different region such as japan. I'm starting to think that the Wii is free of the region lock meaning I can port Wii games from japan.

I tried the 60hz stuff and while I didn't get a black and white image I got an image which "jumped" abit, especieally on corners of things so I had to stick with 50hz, guess the tv is older than I thought it was, piece of crap, I want a LCD tv but I can't afford it, I'll have to settle for 50hz for now.

the Hz stuff ain't worth discussing it in EDTV (480P) , nor SDTV (480I) , almost no differences

you'll notice a difference if you play it HDTV (1080I , 720P) , or FullHD (1080P) , cauz the image is a lot better.

Back