Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
A Guide To Posting On Wiichat

A Guide On Posting

What Are The Forum Rules?

For a complete list of the forum rules I suggest you check out the link below.

Link: http://www.wiichat.com/faq.php?faq=faq_policies#faq_new_faq_item

How Do I Report A Thread/Post?

To report someones post click on the red caution/exclamation symbol beside the green mushroom under their username. Once you have done that type in the reason why you have found his/her thread/post to be offensive and which forum rule it is breaking. Another effective way of reporting a thread/post is sending a private message to the forum moderator with a link to the post/thread and why it should be closed or deleted.

Remember when reporting a thread you only have to report it once. Constantly reporting the same thread/post will not help. Neither will spamming a moderators pm box.

How Do I Create A Thread? :idea:

To create a thread click on the section you would like to post it in then click "New Thread". However before you create a thread I suggest you do a quick search or click the option to view if a thread similar to yours has already been created.

Why Can't I Send A Private Message?

On this forum it is required that you have around 15-20 posts before you can send someone a private message. However this doesn't mean you should spam your way up to the x amount of posts so you can send private messages.

How Do I Send A Private Message

To send a private message to another user click on his or her username while viewing a thread. Once you have done that it will open up a small box with a list of options. From there choose the second option to send ______ a private message. Once you have done that it will open up a different page and you will be able to send that user a pm.

Another way of going about sending a member a private message is by clicking on their username from the current online members list. Once you have done that click on the "Send user message/pm" and it will open the same screen listed above.

How Do I View My Private Messages

To view your private messages click on the bold "Private Messages" From there it will take you to your inbox.
From there you can choose to delete or reply to your private messages or pm's.

Why Can't I Create A Thread?

Once again this forum requires that you have x amount of posts before you can create a thread so for the meantime just be patient and enjoy posting. It wont be long until you can create your own thread. Just remember not to spam.

Why Can't I Edit My Thread Title

Unfortunately members don't have the power/option to edit their own thread titles. Only moderators and i0n can change ones thread title. However if you have posted a thread and made an error in the title I'm pretty sure you can have it changed by just sending a pm to the mod of the section you posted the thread in.

How Do I Post An Image?

To post an image your going to need to upload it to one of the image hosting sites listed below.

- www.photobucket.com (requires an account)
- www.imageshack.us (no account required)

Once you have hosted your image on one of the above sites copy the Img code and paste it in your post.

How Do I Add A Smiley Along With My Post?

If you wish to add a smiley along with your post click on the "Go Advanced" Or "Post Reply" Button. Once you have done that you will notice various smileys you can use on the right side. If you wish to use one of these smiley's click on the image or if you wish to view more click the "More" button. These can also be used in signatures.

For a complete list of smileys along with their code try checking out the below link.

Link: http://www.wiichat.com/misc.php?do=showsmilies

What Is The Search Button For And Why Should I Use It?

All your questions can be answered by viewing Brawny's Search tutorial thread.

Link: http://www.wiichat.com/site-feedback/22401-search-tutorial.html

How Do I Post A Signature Or Upload An Avatar?

If you wish to learn how to upload or post a signature I suggest looking through this tutorial.

Link: http://www.wiichat.com/site-feedback/23492-signature-avatar-tutorial.html

How Do I Request A Signature?

To request a signature post in either the "Official Graphics Thread" or any other graphics related thread. Try to avoid starting a new topic when looking for someone to make you a signature..

What you should include in your post/pm when requesting a signature..

Link to the render/image you want used in your signature:
Colours you would like used in the signature:
The text/name you would like in the signature:
Size of the signature (optional):

What Are Forum Codes Used For?

vB code is a set of tags based on the HTML language that you may already be familiar with. They allow you to add formatting to your messages in the same way as HTML does, but have a simpler syntax and will never break the layout of the pages you are viewing. The ability to use vB Code is set on a forum-by-forum basis by the administrator, so you should check the forum rules when you post a new message.

For a complete list of the forum codes click the below link.

Click Here

What Is The Green Dot Under My Username For?

These green dots show how far along a member is with his or her reputation points. Reputation points are a way of members rewarding other members for their contribution or help. To give another member rep for his or her post/thread just click on the green mushroom. From there you can choose to add a message or just leave it blank.

If you wish to learn more about reputation try clicking the below links.

Link: http://www.wiichat.com/site-feedback/23207-reputation-little-green-dots-faq.html

- Reputation Tutoriall

How Do I Edit My Profile?

To edit your profile click on the Profile option at the top of wiichat then click on "Edit Profile" You can find this along the left hand site under the control panel.

What Not To Do :nono:

1. Spam: Posting messages just to increase your post count or to advertise your website is considered spam and is not allowed on this forum. For more example of what spam is check below.

Examples Of Spam Include:

- Posting messages under five words.
- Posting messages which have nothing to do with the thread topic.
- Bumping old threads for no reason whatsoever.
- Advertising other websites.
- Double Posting.
- Posting the same threads twice.

To learn more about when its ok to bump threads I suggest on clicking the below link.

Bumping A Thread Tutorial

2. Flaming: When a member goes out of his or her way to insult another member for his or her views its considered flaming. If you notice a member flaming someone for no reason I suggest on contacting a mod via pm or clicking on the caution symbol and reporting their post. Remember you only have to report it once. Reporting a post repeatedly will not help.

Examples Of Flaming:

- Making racial remarks.
- Calling one another names.

Another point to take into consideration is that sometimes newer members will post threads similar to others without doing a search and older members will flame them for doing so. By doing this all you are doing is asking for a flame war. So instead of flaming the newer member just tell him where he can find a thread similar to his/hers and notify a moderator to either close or delete the thread. By doing this you are avoiding a possible flame war between you and another member.

3. Trolling: By posting threads or messages saying "Xbox 360 Sux" etc is considered trolling. By doing this all you are asking is for a flame war to start between those who like the console and those who dislike the console. If you notice a member has posted a thread saying "_____ console sucks" just notify one of the online moderators or report his/her post by clicking on the caution sign.

4. Other rules we must take into consideration before posting/creating a thread:

Two other rules we must take into consideration is that Warez and Copyrighted material aren't allowed to be posted here.

Other Important/Useful Information

Who Is The Forum Administrator?

The forum administrator of wiichat is i0n.

What Are Moderators?

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

Who Are The Forum Moderators And What Sections Do They Moderate?

Nintendo Wii Chat:

-BrAiNsTeW
-Flip
-Mitch2025
-Prez
-Trulen

Nintendo Wii Gaming:

-NateTheGreat
-Prez
-Vert

Nintendo Wii Hardware:

-Mitch2025
-Prez

Nintendo Wii Online:

-Prez
-Registerednerd

Nintendo Wii Virtual Console:

--Prez

The Lounge:

-Prez
-Mitch2025

Super Moderators

-Mr_Stoukaph
-NateTheGreat
-phimuajedi69
-Prez

Note: By clicking on any of the above moderators names it will open up a link allowing you to send a private message to these mods. I suggest on using it if you see another member breaking forum rules.

Other Forum Tutorials

Reputation Tutorial
Bumping A Thread Tutorial
Search Tutorial

Hope this helps. Oh and if you want me to add/remove anything let me know.

Last edited:
Nice, useful allround tutorial, this should be stickied.:yesnod:
lee.j

I'm not talking about llamas or tacos in this thread....or the last one.

I don't think its that bad. As long as they stay on topic with their posts it doesn't bother me.

He's not online right now.

Dumbass_Luigi, BIG MONEY, spicka, Robertking1123, GOD, liqidvenom, MatReeves, markmanuel18, Shadowpunk, Wii-licious, paintba||er, sundquist18, Syntax, PhillyFan693, The_Loose_Cannon, Brennan77, wiiisawesome, North99, gpoleweski, lee.jarratt, darren_89, CrowTRobot, Earthworm Jim, wiikey, wiiboy 27, Sovieto, FlashStar, JCpackers05+, ness173, jbach42, d_k, Stranger, MasterJedi2U, ilikecookies, ghghgh14702, tonyeng4ine, ILoveWii, Shiftfallout, letobowie, the1337hippy, i eat nintendo wiis, nik_newy, klovasos, KCBlack, PayShuns, zeon9881

Very good Syn (hmmm...where'd you get the idea for a tut? wanting some Rep I understand? LOL)

Mind a linky to my tuts in there? i0n wont sticky the search tutorial for some reason.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Oh and I've added links at the bottom of the post to some of your tutorials Brawny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back