amount of delay with wiimote & swordplay?

gregjp48@e

WiiChat Member
Aug 11, 2007
I remember reading somewhere about TP that when you swing the remote there is a slight delay between when you do it and link does it. The article also said it didn't make much of a difference, even when timing was key, though.
Is this true? DOES it make a difference when timing is key? I've been looking at videos of gameplay with the wiimote and in some in seems like there is a huge delay, and in others it seems like there isn't. I've noticed that the people who swing the thing more sword like have less of a delay, while those that wiggle it have more delay. Maybe it's because of how long links slashes actually take (like they aren't going to speed up just because you swing the remote more quickly, right?)

I know the swordplay isn't 1:1, but is there a delay, and if so, does it hinder gameplay or immersion? I don't own TP (yet!) and was just curious about it.

From my experience there is absolutely no delay at all, and in no way does anything hinder the gameplay of this game except for the fact that it is overall pretty easy. If you don't own this game, you very much should. 10 out of 10 any day of the week, and should leave your jaw dropping in many places...the graphics are very good.

never had that problem, best game ever but u need patience

i have yet to get a wii, going to very very soon (as soon as I come back from vacation and they're in stock)

jc, what do you need patience for? At this point, it wouldn't affect my decision of buying the game, since it's been on my to buy list since it was shown at E3 in '04(?). the wiimote should just make it all the more better. I'm now resisting the urge not to read more about it and spoil the story. Can't wait to play older games on VC too. I have a zelda collector's edition disc for GCN, and to be honest, my first game was tWW, and I played OoT afterwards (both amaaaazing games), so I didn't grow up on the original LoZ. I played it, and I didn't like it as much. And I absolutely hated the sidescrolling in Zelda II. So i stopped playing it. Virtual console for me is going to be more about Mario 64, Starfox64, and the old Metroid games, possibly with ALttP, but I hate to play that without playing the original, for story continuity (don't remember which comes after which on the split timeline theory or whatever). Am I missing out if I just play the 3d games?
Oops I think I just hijacked my own thread; one thing in my mind leads to something else I guess, and excitement doesn't help things. back on topic...

I can't wait to finally play the wii and twilight princess! The control scheme sensitivity was the one thing that was bugging me, but now I'm reassured that it's fine. The bow was always my favorite weapon, and I can't wait to use the wiimote to aim, should be awesome.

WiiBad said:
From my experience there is absolutely no delay at all, and in no way does anything hinder the gameplay of this game except for the fact that it is overall pretty easy. If you don't own this game, you very much should. 10 out of 10 any day of the week, and should leave your jaw dropping in many places...the graphics are very good.
considering the almost zero replay value (plus i got to see my friend play his GameCube version of it) i wouldnt pick this up. i WAS a Zelda fan, but after Wind Waker, the series is just meh to me now. i'd still enjoy a re-run of LotP or MM, after a few years of not playing zelda. when i saw the replay value thread on wiichat, i was reassured it isnt worth $50 to get :sick:

cartman777 said:
considering the almost zero replay value (plus i got to see my friend play his GameCube version of it) i wouldnt pick this up. i WAS a Zelda fan, but after Wind Waker, the series is just meh to me now. i'd still enjoy a re-run of LotP or MM, after a few years of not playing zelda. when i saw the replay value thread on wiichat, i was reassured it isnt worth $50 to get :sick:

Why, you didn't like tWW? I thought it was great. Not OoT great, but still a good game, even if the difficulty was toned down a bit. And the art, although in a different direction, was still top notch.

What is there to complain about the replay value? All zelda games I've ever played I played multiple times, and tWW is no exception, and I'm sure I'll play TP again too, that is, once I play it the first time.

And, I'm curious, if the zelda series is "meh" to you now, then why are you in the TP forum?

Edit: That thread is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Zelda Has 0 Replayability Whatsoever.

You Have To Get Everything, THEN Beat The Boss. You're Done. No Save. Just Have To Start From Your Last Save Point.

erm... you start a new save file...what do you expect? to play it thorugh again with some ultra cool new weapon or something?

Leave that to the 10 hour games that you HAVE to play twice, or they aren't worth the money.

The same story over and over does get boring after a while, but you leave time in between b4 u play it again, and every story-tethered game gets boring after a while. It's not like Super Smash Bros, which personally I don't care for due to it's lack of depth. It's about the experience, not a contest to see how much time you can get out of the game before you're bored again. Plus, a 40-50 hour game will occupy you for quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
what? i did say i liked the old zelda games. besides i'm trying to figure out why people like Twilight Princess.
i guess i'm more of the player who likes to develop skill in a game rather than one who seeks depth in a video game.
its all good =P :lol:

cartman777 said:
what? i did say i liked the old zelda games. besides i'm trying to figure out why people like Twilight Princess.
i guess i'm more of the player who likes to develop skill in a game rather than one who seeks depth in a video game.
its all good =P :lol:

lol why, is TP supposed to be even easier than tWW or something? I heard it was easy, but not so easy to get bored with. and I thought that you said you thought the series was going downhill, and that you didn't like tWW.

My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an easy game, but far from boring. If you like long games, this one is again definitely for you...it's quite long, and if you wanna get everything it can probably be the longest game you have ever played. Much to be liked, and so much better than Wind Waker; more along the lines of Ocarina.

WiiBad said:
It's an easy game, but far from boring. If you like long games, this one is again definitely for you...it's quite long, and if you wanna get everything it can probably be the longest game you have ever played. Much to be liked, and so much better than Wind Waker; more along the lines of Ocarina.

Well that's good, as I much prefer ocarina to wind waker, even though the latter was fantastic too.

I'm not a 100% kind of guy, and if th egame is easy I will not be tempted to look for heart pieces. I'll take the heart containers from the bosses, and then probably go for the 3 heart challenge on my secnod play-through.

I love long games, and after playing zelda, every other game seems much too short, even if their stories are good (à la Halo). Just as long as it's not long to the point of tedious. The only part I hated of Wind Waker was digging up the pieces of the Triforce of Courage from the ocean floor. That was horrible. Even though it was a great game, Windwaker only had 3 dungeons, plus the two temples. OoT had 3 dungeons, and 5 more intricate temples, and more sidequest opportunity. Since TP length is mostly because of all the dungeons in it, I should be a very happy guy.

This game alone is enough to get a Wii. As far as the delay I've never experienced it before. You won't be dissapointed if you like OoT.

This was the first game I bought for the Wii (other than Wii Sports and Wii Play which came with it, I mean) and now I'm afraid I'm ruined for all other game titles. What do I buy after this? I'm not really into killing things, though there was a lot of that in TP, so I'm dubious about the Scarface, Godfather and RE titles.

TP was very rich in content and the graphics were excellent. The game itself required a combination of skill-based performance and puzzle-solving ability. It required tremendous concentration and patience in certain sections, and was basically intuitive and easy in others, but even then, the graphics were so good it made it fun to do.

It was like a giant maze, basically. I personally would never have made it through without the use of several different walk-thoughs, but hey, I'm new to this whole thing.

What I'm wondering is, how long do they normally take between new Zelda titles? Has anyone heard anything about the next one, and when it will be coming out?

i personally loved tp, way better than wind waker, i never got into the cartoon look of the characters. i have never had a delay with the wiimote and the sword action on the game, it played well for me.

i think tp is right next to ocarina of time in the best games ever list

TP was great. A soon to be classic in the Zelda story. Nice new twist with the great story. Wind Waker was an awful game. Doesn't deserve to be in the LoZ timeline. While play TP I had no delay problems that I noticed, it didn't cause me any problems. The only thing I hated was the small range the wii remote has when using the hand and things like (not sure what they call it).

Back