Any one else feel a little ripped off by VC?

eddy said:
if you had gone through Nintendo, they would have fixed your Wii for free and kept your VC games intact.

Are you saying the Wii broke, you took it up with best buy, they gave you a random new one? Yeah, go to Nintendo first, not Best Buy.

Many people have said their Wii broke, they got a new one, they didnt get reimbursed for their games......If you ask me, the console died pretty damned quick, seeing how I still have (lets see), 1,2,3,4,5,6, old consoles from other systems in perfect working order.

One of my biggest worries about the VC......

i think that if nintendo put out every single game that they could out at once, they would not be making as much money off of the other games that would have been out along with the greats. it's just good marketing by nintendo to get you to buy the system by leaving out key words like eventually downloading the NES library and such. it also gets a chance for games that many may have never even known have a chance to play for that week.

I don't even have a Wii, but if I do get one, it'll be for retro-gaming purposes. I haven't cared about 3d games since like, PSx. And I always went to my cousin's house for that. When Wii gets the games we actually WANT such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 (what woulda been Secret of Mana 2 if Square had released it in the USA) I'll go buy one, till then I'll just go to one of my friend's houses and play theirs, or just play my roms... =P

Last edited:
My last console having been the original NES, I didn't think I'd be into 3D gaming either. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess changed my mind.

I have this cynical suspiscion that the Wii's Virtual Console was just a clever way for Nintendo to re-open their patents on old games so that they would have a new excuse for going after people who emulate. (Like what they were doing for a while with the GBA, re-releasing shoddier versions of old NES games like Metroid and such). But unless they're going to include EVERY game, ESPECIALLY the hard to find one's which didn't even get a U.S. release, they have little right to nag.

kitsune_B said:
I have this cynical suspiscion that the Wii's Virtual Console was just a clever way for Nintendo to re-open their patents on old games so that they would have a new excuse for going after people who emulate. (Like what they were doing for a while with the GBA, re-releasing shoddier versions of old NES games like Metroid and such). But unless they're going to include EVERY game, ESPECIALLY the hard to find one's which didn't even get a U.S. release, they have little right to nag.

Video games (the actual games themselves) aren't patented material. They're copyrighted. Although both are intellectual property claims, they're totally different in what they encompass and the lenght of claims. For copyrighted material like video games, the ownership of the material extends for 70 years from the original date of issue so in the case of old NES games, they're going to be owned by Nintendo for the next 50 years. If they want to go after people for downloading ROMs, they don't need to re-release them on the VC in order to do so.

Well I have no problem paying the money for the games...I mean we are in America nothing is for free and I think they do deserve a few bucks for you being able to play these games without emulators or a bunch of old consoles whatever...my only riff is I am realizing having this Wii for VC is like having HBO On Demand, it looks like a great deal until you have it for a few months and realize the content rarely changes and certainly not in your favor...

I think with any service such as this, On Demand also, the customer should have a strong say as to what is available to them...they should have a site setup for requests...

I don't feel ripped off one bit!!! VC is awesome, and I find myself playing classic titles more so than my normal games. They update it each Monday!!! They aren't miracle workers, they are doing the best they can, STOP COMPLAININ!!!

jj007 said:
it looks like a great deal until you have it for a few months and realize the content rarely changes and certainly not in your favor...

what are you talking about? New content is added on a weekly basis. That's hardly 'rarely changing'.

I like the VC because it is easily accessible...I can just click on the game and play it right away :)

VC is the best thing since sliced toast!

Some games, such as Mario 64 are improved over the original - graphic are more clear. I would have paid $40 just for that! I have about 20 VC games and only 1 Wii game (Super paper mario).

Even if I spend five or ten bucks on a game and don't like it - hey no big deal. I spend about the same (or more) for lunch every day. A morning coffee from Starbucks can set me back $5 and last 15 min while Kirby's Adventure is much more enjoyable and lasts many hours!

And this (and other forums) are great also! I've read so much about the anticipation of older SNES games such as Chrono trigger & Earthbound that I decided to buy an SNES and those two games from Amazon.

The VC is sweet sweet sweet!!!

Last edited:
Back