Any one else feel a little ripped off by VC?

ScuzzBuster said:
To digress even further...I'm super duper mad that SM2 (THE LOST LEVELS) was the original version and not the enhanced SNES ALL STARS version...

dont worry, as soon as they release SM3, they will release Lost LEvels SNES version a month later for maximum rip offage. I will be one of the ashholes who bought each game one at a time on VC.

They may not release the All Stars version ever. If they do it will probably be one of the last VC releases.

Conan the Librarian said:
dont worry, as soon as they release SM3, they will release Lost LEvels SNES version a month later for maximum rip offage. I will be one of the ashholes who bought each game one at a time on VC.

Well, maybe I'm biased because I have a job, but how can you really ***** about a $5.00 game? A game that cost $40.00 to $50.00 when it was released.

I'm sorry, I just don't see any argument that Nintendo is ripping off customers. What the hell guys...I know you think servers, bandwidth and labor are free, but what gives? I have not seen one post in this thread which even remotely supports the "rip off" argument beyond THE GAME IS OLD AND I THINK $5.00 IS TOO MUCH FOR A 20 YEAR OLD GAME.

Nintendo Wii...

• Cheapest Next Gen Console (by $150.00)
  • Most Innovative concept in a next gen console
  • When brawl is released, the only next gen console that will offer FREE online competition with other console owners
  • Titles Open at Retail $10.00 lower than all other Next Gen consoles
  • Nintendo STILL home to some of the most beloved game series of all time (Mario, Zelda) and they continue to put out quality games in those series.
  • First gaming console in history to begin to transcend the age barrier (both younger and older) that has held gamers between teens and 30s since the first consoles
  • Best selling of current gen consoles.
  • Only current next gen console to be 100% back compatible with the previous console in their series
  • Only online console to offer out of the box wireless networking support
  • Only free online service of all the consoles

Wow, what a rip off...

If you're that short of cash, go get a PS3. I hear the graphics are great! Of course, you could get 35 - 70 classic VC games from NES through N64 just for the DIFFERENCE in price between the 2 consoles...

Last edited:
You are right Scuzz. It's the ONLY next gen console on the market that was & still is fully compatible with the last gen, the GC. The PS3, and 360 are NOT fully compatible with their prior gens. Most MMOs are $15 a month, so even the best MMOs are still $3-$10 more expensive than a single VC game that will be with you until Nintendo is no more, or you are no more. Which ever comes first.

Hey Budo obviously you have a point, but try and see it our way too. What we are saying is 9/10 people have already bought these games many times before and in most cases still own them on the original sytem but for some reason or another we can't play them. So for instance you referred to buying a copy of The Shinning, well if you already had one why would you buy it again is our point. And the least they could do if they want us to pay for an old game is add something new to them and make them online.

I would expect that if they coded the games to be online, then you'd be paying more. Not sure how you can blame Nintendo for having "bought these games many times" before. When you buy a console game you know that you are limited to the product life of the console itself unless you buy another one.

If you really want to play it, hook up the old console and stick in the cartridge. If the old console doesn't work anymore, well, how's that any different than having to get a new cd dvd player to play your existing library when the current one goes south. I could have the entire Beatles and Stones collection on Cassette Tapes. Guess what, that doesn't entitle me to download all those songs for free again just so I can have them in the current media format.

I know what the arguments are here, but I'm sorry, as much as people are saying the they AREN'T saying this...you indeed ARE saying the for whatever reason, Nintendo owes you **** for free either because you bought it before or think that paying your $250 for the Wii entitles you to something for nothing or close to nothing. If you classify this as a rip off, then I'm sorry, give me an example of similar situations on consoles or any other tech media where you ARE getting your fix for free or cheaper...whether it be downloadable console games, music, movies or whatever.

To make the "rip off" argument, you have to hold up examples that currently wouldn't be considered so...and the examples can't just be what you "wish" they would do. I wish I could walk into the movies and game store and get all my stuff at no cost, but that's not a demonstration of how having to pay for it is a rip off.

I know I mentioned this before. But you can get a serious benefit out of this. If you own the original cartridges, then after you refill your game library with VC you can sell those originals on Ebay or Amazon for crazy cash. Games like FF7 go for hundreds of dollars on Amazon. Avoid Gamestop, they rip you off! If you own 30 good NES games, you could be sitting on $500.

I have all my NES-N64 games backed up on my computer. Once I buy them all for VC I'll consider selling the originals for enough cash to buy a car... maybe.

sagema said:
I know I mentioned this before. But you can get a serious benefit out of this. If you own the original cartridges, then after you refill your game library with VC you can sell those originals on Ebay or Amazon for crazy cash. Games like FF7 go for hundreds of dollars on Amazon. Avoid Gamestop, they rip you off! If you own 30 good NES games, you could be sitting on $500.

I have all my NES-N64 games backed up on my computer. Once I buy them all for VC I'll consider selling the originals for enough cash to buy a car... maybe.

you do realize though that after a game comes out for the VC its resale value will go down significantly...

when my wii console died, for some ****ing reason out of nothing, i had like 40$ invested on VC...and i lost it all, they give me back another on best buy, but nothing about the VC money, thats ****ing mest up. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!! NINTENDO u better make a account **** and keep track the **** i buy and give me back my MONEY..****!!!!

ZeuStm said:
when my wii console died, for some ****ing reason out of nothing, i had like 40$ invested on VC...and i lost it all, they give me back another on best buy, but nothing about the VC money, thats ****ing mest up. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!! NINTENDO u better make a account **** and keep track the **** i buy and give me back my MONEY..****!!!!

if you had gone through Nintendo, they would have fixed your Wii for free and kept your VC games intact.

laz305 said:
Hey Budo obviously you have a point, but try and see it our way too. What we are saying is 9/10 people have already bought these games many times before and in most cases still own them on the original sytem but for some reason or another we can't play them. So for instance you referred to buying a copy of The Shinning, well if you already had one why would you buy it again is our point. And the least they could do if they want us to pay for an old game is add something new to them and make them online.

I still don't see your point. I've got hundreds of records and cassette tapes which are almost unplayable in current media formats (yes, I know how to convert vinyl to mp3 but that's a lot of hours to put in converting hundreds of albums and just not worth my time). Does that mean I'm entitled to log into itunes/sony music store or whichever online retailer I happen to be using and tell them 'hey, I already own this on vinyl (or cassette), give me the corresponding mp3 for free, thanks!'. Of course not. It would never happen because although the song is the same, the media delivery, updating the music to digital format and storing music on a server costs money - money that has to come from somewhere.

Or to use the "i have the old game but i can't use it on a system so I should get a free one analogy", imagine if you had a 67 Ford Mustang but because Ford no long produces 67 Mustangs and yours broke down, you can't get parts from Ford. That doesn't entitle you to tow your car to a dealership and demand a new 2007 Mustang. Hcek, even if they started producing an exact replica of the 67 Mustang, you still wouldn't be entitled to getting a new car just because you bought one before.

For profit companies aren't in the habit of giving stuff away for free, if they did, they wouldn't last very long.

Last edited:
I don't feel ripped off at all by the VC. Twelve bucks for Sin and Punishment is a steal if you ask me. Have any of you seen what it goes for on Ebay? They had to get the rights to bring it over state side, plus had to do some translation of the menus. They actually spent money to bring that game to US and PAL VC. I could walk into any used video game store and be lucky to spend below 8 bucks on a SNES game, especially for some of the good ones like Actraiser, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mystical Ninja, Super Castlevania IV and others. If you are still bitching and really want to pay nothing for your emulated games just do what I do. I have PC that has S-Video out. I have a S-video to Composite cable going from my pc video card to my TV. I have a usb SNES controller adapter so I can use my real snes controller to play games. I also use it to play MAME stuff. I also have a usb PS2/N64 adapter as well to use those controllers for those game system emulators. It's no harder than hooking up a console to your tv really.

Yeah imo the VC games are way too expensive. I can buy the real games for less and not have to mess with the funky controller of the wii. Now granted wii games perform just fine with the wiimote, but alot of the older games don't. The classic controller is clumsy, i just want to enjoy the games the way they were meant to be enjoyed, and for now thats on the old consoles themselves.

geise69 said:
I don't feel ripped off at all by the VC. Twelve bucks for Sin and Punishment is a steal if you ask me. Have any of you seen what it goes for on Ebay? They had to get the rights to bring it over state side, plus had to do some translation of the menus. They actually spent money to bring that game to US and PAL VC. I could walk into any used video game store and be lucky to spend below 8 bucks on a SNES game, especially for some of the good ones like Actraiser, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mystical Ninja, Super Castlevania IV and others. If you are still bitching and really want to pay nothing for your emulated games just do what I do. I have PC that has S-Video out. I have a S-video to Composite cable going from my pc video card to my TV. I have a usb SNES controller adapter so I can use my real snes controller to play games. I also use it to play MAME stuff. I also have a usb PS2/N64 adapter as well to use those controllers for those game system emulators. It's no harder than hooking up a console to your tv really.

I'm guessing your television is somewhat close to your pc. In the same room, that is.

Well I do 3D animation for a living and I'm a computer nerd so I have 3 computers in the house. Sometimes I'll move one to the main room of my house and just set it up next to my entertainment center, and hook it up to the tv. Surprisingly my wife doesn't care that I do that either. She actually will play some old MAME stuff with me like TMNT, Simpsons, X-MEN and others. She really likes the beat em up games.

Back