Brawl - More or Less Balanced than Melee?

Douten said:
I see, I thought it was a pretty fast move from what I see but I guess I didn't see it right then :x Ganon is an interesting character cause of his speed and until I can actually utilize short jumps and meteor smash well I don't think I can go far with him x3
its not the speed of the move itself its the fact that after the move's animation is done he sits there for quite a while before you can do anything else.
to your next post:
my favorite ganon moves for killing are his air moves. all of them have killing power. try u tilting into a crowd of people in 1v1v1v1s haha the results can be funny

gbj153 said:
:crazy: But u need real skills to master jigglypuff xD and aim

I agree. Jigglypuff is actually pretty decent. (But any character with a crazy "roll/spin/charge" eg.: Jiggly, Yoshi, Sonic, Wario, Meta usually lead me to a self-destruct.)

My fav. 5 are as follows:

R.O.B. (Main)
Fox
Toon Link
Mario
Peach

R.O.B and Peach take some strategy, but are great characters.

(My list MAY change after this post...)

My point is that everyone has a CHANCE, but some have more in the hands of other people.

(Also, I'd choose to play as Peach over Ike. Really.)

I'm going to try to have an educated debate here. Back up your statements with evidence.

This is NOT a tier list discussion, nor is it a discussion of whether tier lists exist or not. If you've yet to realize that they exist, please do not post in this thread.

Prior to release, many of the pro's were stating that Brawl was going to revolutionize the Super Smash Bros. series simply due to its equality. Even after release, people continued to praise Brawl for its seemingly perfect balance. However, now that I've scraped away at the golden cover of Brawl, it seems as though it were made of metal.

I'm really afraid that when we finally recieve that first official tier list the results are going to be devestating. It just seems as though the gap
between best and worse is SO much more exaggerated this time around. Space animals and Prince Marth will still rule supreme, will still win half of all tournaments, and will still be overused by noobs. And Sakurai did not boost old bottom-tier characters nearly enough, such as Yoshi, destined to be the future scum of Brawl.

I also doubt that Sakurai realized how much taking out advanced techniques such as L-Cancelling and Wavedashing hurt SPECIFIC characters. Perhaps he thought that it would hurt all characters equally? That happens to be significantly false. Slow characters are punished HORRIBLY if they miss an aerial due to the lack of L-Cancelling, and other characters' playstyles were molded AROUND advanced techniques.

Don't kid yourselves, tier lists are alive and kicking, and people choose their characters based on them. I mained Falcon in Melee [nearly guaranteed bottom tier in Brawl] and I still love the guy, but fact is that ITS NOT FUN playing as him anymore. You can tell me that I can still win against top tiers, but its NOT FUN losing 2/3 of the time when I could main a top tier and win 9/10 of the time. Hell, I can't even consistently beat my casual friends, let alone computers, with Falcon. I'm not making excuses, I'm stating fact. I'm on the verge of switching back to Melee simply because Falcon was fun to play as back then, and *coincidentally* he was high-mid tier. I don't like Brawl because of this, because it hardly allows me to use the character I want to use. I don't want to switch characters, but I don't want to lose matches that I know I should win, either.

And now I'll leave you with a question. We were all hoping for 50, even 60 characters, but what is the use of having so many characters if they are so unequal that half of them ARE NOT USED BY ANYONE. I would have rather Sakurai kept Melee's roster and made them completely equal. That would have been the perfect game. You'll see in the coming months that every person online will be using Space Animals, Marth, Pit and Diddy. Sakurai might as well have given us a roster of 5 characters...

I know I'm quoting the first post, and I haven't checked to see if this thread died, but I am in complete agreement with you here. Everything you said coincides with an unbalanced game and peoples' reactions to dealing with them, such as "pick a different character", and that "you can still beat top tier characters, they aren't unbeatable!". But it's NOT FUN when the match is rigged from the very start, in the opponents favor. So I am with your old post all the way, it also goes hand-in-hand with what I see as a very unbalanced game, and the problems that come with it.

EDIT: Oh man, I just looked to see how old this post was, and to my worst fear, well over a year old. Alright mods, it was a good discussion thread that apparently died. Lock it up and do what you want with it, but I see it as a new opportunity for the new Wiichat audience to voice their opinions and have something more to do... (I'm really encouraging to at least wait for a little while to see if the thread kicks back into an education discussion rather than immediately locking it up

Last edited:
Yes, Brawl is only slightly more balanced. There are more characters that stand a chance in tournaments.

However, it's more accurate to say that Brawl is just a different game from Melee entirely. When making Brawl, Sakurai purposely removed many of the Advanced Techniques from Melee that made it so competitive and slightly tweaked character abilities (Captain Falcon and Fox are worse in Brawl, for instance) and the physics (one example is reduced hitstun), resulting in two games that are very different from each other. So in spite of Brawl's more well-rounded roster, you will find many who still prefer Melee.

Last edited:
Yes, Brawl is only slightly more balanced. There are more characters that stand a chance in tournaments.

However, it's more accurate to say that Brawl is just a different game from Melee entirely. When making Brawl, Sakurai purposely removed many of the Advanced Techniques from Melee that made it so competitive and slightly tweaked character abilities (Captain Falcon and Fox are worse in Brawl, for instance) and the physics (one example is reduced hitstun), resulting in two games that are very different from each other. So in spite of Brawl's more well-rounded roster, you will find many who still prefer Melee.

This is true, certain characters cannot be deemed "better" than others when comparing games, simply because the mechanics are different. There is a level of how good a character is, but pitting a brawl-mechanized character against a melee-mechanized character is a suicide mission--while the person playing as the melee character will almost always win, this doesn't mean that that character was made better, the atmosphere surrounding each character is what makes that character more likely to win.

On that note, Meta Knight is too fast for Brawl and thus unrealistic for its gameplay and is more suited for Melee. A melee character in Brawl is an unrealistic one is pretty much my point.

Back