Bricked Wii - what it is and how to avoid it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heradion

WiiChat Member
Jun 29, 2007
First of all, you can only get your Wii bricked if you have a modchip.

Bricked means that after your Wii is 'bricked', it can be used for one thing, as a brick.

There is also semi-bricked. It means that some features don't work well anymore. With the Wii, if someone says his Wii is semi-bricked it most often means that he can't get into the Wii Settings menu any more.

You can very easily avoid getting your Wii Bricked.
It sometimes happens (like with Super Paper Mario) that the game asks you to update. BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THIS!

First: go to your Wii settings -> third tab -> and do the software update. After you have done this, then go play that out of region game which asks you to update.

You can now safely do this update from the game because it actually wont update as you have already the latest update on your system.

So what does happen when I do that update?
What actually happens is this: You put in a NTSC disc in your PAL Wii. Normally you wouldn't be able to play that NTSC disc at all, but because your Wii is mod, you can.

Some games require a firmware update (like Super Paper Mario). The game has that particular update you need on the disc for those people who haven't got their Wii connected to the internet. A great thing of course when you play a NTSC game on a NTSC Wii. But if you do the NTSC firmware update on a PAL Wii, you brick your Wii. A NTSC firmware update is different from a PAL firmware update. So if you put NTSC firmware code on a PAL Wii, your Wii won't work anymore. So again: Be very careful when a game asks you to update.

To avoid all this: Just get the latest update through Wii WiFi connection from the internet before updating any game which asks you to update. The current latest update is 2.2E (you can see this at the upper right in the Wii Settings menu).

(if this post has helped you, please click the green mushroom under my name, thx).

I dont have a modded wii but i enjoyed reading this

I got a better version:

With help from the first post:

Bricked Wii - what it is and how to avoid it!

So What is a bricked Wii?

A bricked Wii [As it is now known on the Interwabs] is a process which will happen to your Wii if you chip it and try to play certain games. Basically it's when your Wii gets ****ed in the Ass...

How do I avoid this 'Bricking of the Wii'

Well there are several ways. But the way I think works the best is.... I don't know..... NOT GETTING YOUR WII CHIPPED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

(if this post has helped you, please click the green mushroom under my name, thx).

One of the biggest advantages of having your Wii modded is that you can play home brew discs. Some1 made a collection of 2000+ NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive / Genesis games. I bought 2 VC games even tho I had that disc. The problem is that Nintendo does only deliver like 100 VC games while there are so much titles out there I really would love to play on my Wii.

Heradion said:
One of the biggest advantages of having your Wii modded is that you can play home brew discs. Some1 made a collection of 2000+ NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive / Genesis games. I bought 2 VC games even tho I had that disc. The problem is that Nintendo does only deliver like 100 VC games while there are so much titles out there I really would love to play on my Wii.

Or you could not mod your wii and just use an emulator...

there is a pc app Wii Brick blocker that removes the update from the iso files before u burn them to disc

Ok, I REALLLLY need some help. Im taking my neighbors Wi-Fi, and they dont know it, but somehow I can send messages, but cant access anything else online... anyone know why?

ssbb_lover said:
I stopped there and laughed my ass off.
Haha, well they have a locked system and I was like, well ****. So I looked up their phone number and sure enough it was their password.AHA. I WIN AGAIN!:yikes:

WiiMyHomie said:
Haha, well they have a locked system and I was like, well ****. So I looked up their phone number and sure enough it was their password.AHA. I WIN AGAIN!:yikes:

And? Hardly anyone encrypts there wireless LAN anyways. But if it isn't a strong enough signal you arent going to be able to do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back