Disturbing Wii Third Party Sales

Third party sales will be low if they are not decent games or not advertised hardly at all.

Mario & Sonic Olympics must be getting close to the 1 million mark now too.

Could be worse on the software sales front for Wii though, at least some games are selling well, unlike the PS3 which didnt get a single game in the top 10 for December. :yikes:

Why do people blame this problem on the "casual"? As if these players cannot apprecaiate quality, when every one of us was once a "casual" or inexperenced player?

I see it as the fault of the industry in underestimating the intelligence of inexperienced players, as if they need their hands held though a game. People wonder why third party sales tanked. Like do they really expect people to buy garbage?

I also find fault with the attitude of gamers as a whole, with their attitudes of eletism and contempt for "casual" or new players; with all the arguing and fighting over what machine is the most powerfull, which one is next gen, last gen, so on and so forth.

Edit: What bothers me is that Nintendo is expected to carry it alone, even though it isn't connected to a larger body, like Sony's and Microsoft's Gaming devisions are.

Last edited:
Nintendo does just fine staying in only gaming, and they have yet to make a fatal mistake and probably wont, they are the only one of the 3 majors that could exsist without support from other divisions... They make a nice profit and have the gaming world figure out just fine... they have been around for almost 40 years in gaming making home consoles no one else can say that?

Gaming for MS and Sony is more for the fan base than anything, using it as a big advertsisment twards there many other products besides gaming.
How many Play Station fans have nothing but sony products for there entertainment centers? how many xbox fans are using anything other than Microsoft for there computer needs? Lots of companies do "promotional" stuff like this not really caring about the profit in the end, if they get it great if not no big loss, because its just part of a larger marketing skeme... aslong as the bottom line is met they are happy...

Truthfully Microsoft doesnt seem to use it as a big advertisement besides what Xbox offers. Ive never seen Microsoft use its Xbox games to advertise something for a PC unless it was another game.

Sony, kind of did this by forcing the Blu-ray.

Sometimes Microsoft promotes movies but mainly because the movies they advertise are movies you can download from Xbox Marketplace.

Sony is failing on everthing, not even their gaming dept. They are losing money everywhere.

Btw ive never bought anything that has to do with MS because of Xbox nor have I ever bought anything Sony because of Playstation. Ive known about Sony before PS and I also never bought a PS because it was "Sony" Maybe some casual gamers who dont really play games much do, but not I.

The only thing MS ive ever bought besides my 360 is a PC with Windows OS. I dont even like Vista which is on my Laptop but problem is, a Macbook costs ALOT more than a Laptop with windows. Not to mention if I personally want one I have to get it online since there are no Apple stores around where I live. Atleast not one that I know of.

Its true though, Sony and Microsoft make money from other branches also, but im pretty sure Microsoft's Xbox is able to pay itself. Mainly because of the 10 million subscribers to XBL.

Sony, even though its starting to pick up. Im really not sure how its even still sustaining itself. Maybe with a huge stroke of luck with Blu-ray's success because ive been hearing that Sony is losing soo much money on more than just the gaming dept.

ya it sucks how some actually good ones don't get advertised i mean, harry potter got advertised but not battalion wars or medal of honor, now thats bull man, just bull.

Here are the official charts, according to VGCHARTZ.com. They claim their numbers are more accurate because they are based on retail sales rather than manufacturer shipments.

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

It would be interesting to know where the breakpoint is on Wii for a profitable game. That is what will drive more 3rd party development. My guess is around 200,000 sold. If so, there are plenty of 3rd party successes here. Just not the blowouts that Nintendo can boast. In fact 35 out of the top 50 games are 3rd party.

Results of No More Heroes will be very interesting in six months. Along with Red Steel, it really is the first unique game that a 3rd party created exclusively for Wii with extensive development resources.

Personally, I had the Wii since March and own seven games - only three of which are Nintendo (Sports, Play, SM Galaxy). The others are from different developers (RE4, Tiger Woods 08, SSX Blur, Sonic Rings).

1. Wii Sports Nintendo 17.75m
2. Wii Play Nintendo 8.88m
3. Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo 4.69m
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Nintendo 4.39m
5. Mario Party 8 Nintendo 4.17m
6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Sega 2.50m
7. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves Nintendo 2.16m
8. Super Paper Mario Nintendo 2.07m
9. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree Nintendo 1.72m
10. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Capcom 1.34m
11. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 1.29m
12. Rayman Raving Rabbids Ubisoft 1.22m
13. Mario Strikers Charged Nintendo 1.12m
14. Wii Fit Nintendo 1.09m
15. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Nintendo 1.08m
16. Red Steel Ubisoft 1.03m
17. Sonic and the Secret Rings Sega 0.82m
18. Pokemon Battle Revolution Nintendo 0.82m
19. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 EA 0.76m
20. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles Capcom 0.74m
21. Link's Crossbow Training Nintendo 0.72m
22. MySims EA 0.69m
23. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga LucasArts 0.62m
24. Excite Truck Nintendo 0.60m
25. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 Ubisoft 0.60m
26. Cooking Mama: Cook Off Majesco 0.58m
27 Trauma Center: Second Opinion Atlus 0.52m
28. High School Musical: Sing It! Disney 0.51m
29. WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 THQ 0.50m
30. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Square Enix 0.50m
31. The Simpsons Game EA 0.46m
32. Madden NFL 07 EA 0.42m
33. Spiderman: The Movie 3 Activision 0.42m
34. Madden NFL 08 EA 0.42m
35. FIFA 08 EA Sports 0.42m
36. Carnival Games Global Star Software 0.41m
37. Smarty Pants EA 0.40m
38. Fire Emblem X: Radiant Dawn Nintendo 0.38m
39. Dragonball Z Sparking NEO Atari 0.36m
40. Need for Speed: ProStreet EA 0.36m
41. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz Sega 0.36m
42. Call of Duty 3 Activision 0.35m
43. Happy Feet Midway 0.34m
44. The Golden Compass Sega 0.29m
45. Need for Speed: Carbon EA 0.27m
46. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Activision 0.26m
47. Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution Tomy 0.24m
48. Elebits Konami 0.24m
49. Boogie EA 0.23m
50. Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party Konami 0.22m

^ thats your opinion.

same as people say the wii is crap.

i think they should advertise nmh but i think the graphics style would put them off.

but im getting all mates to buy it because i want it to do well

T3kNi9e said:
VG Chartz suck

Everything sucks when its something you dont want to hear...
But thats the way life works...
Anyone can get there "facts" from who they feel favors there opinion most... thats why you find a good handful of different sales numbers based on different accounts... overall sales,retail sales,shipments made...

VG just gives the point of view of"in the home" not total sales...

Last edited:
Back