Hardcore Gaming and RPGs

Driftwood said:
First of all, I'm wondering when the Wii will start taking gaming seriously. I know it's more intended to be family friendly and crap but.. (and there are games like this, a small amount), I need to see more "M"s on boxes, if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure we're set if we wanna play cutesy little kid games. It's like they say "Everyone can play the Wii!" and stuff but this obviously excludes the hardcore gamer.

Nintendo has more fun first party games than any other developer and they have hardware specifically targeted at making gaming fun. What they don't take seriously is teenage boys and that really riles them up. All this "adult" and "mature" content almost exclusively appeals to teenage boys. In very few cases does it actually appeal to mature adults. Sony and Microsoft practically worship at the altar of their pimply-faced "hardcore" players. Nintendo does not. Nintendo takes gaming very seriously. What Nintendo doesn't take seriously is people begging for superfluous boobs and blood in their games. And I don't really blame them for that.

Nintendo is the only hardcore videogame company out there, everything else is just a veteran joke.

{Axtlár} said:
Nintendo is the only hardcore videogame company out there, everything else is just a veteran joke.
stole words right out of my mouths

too many people these days associate "hardcore" gaming with an M rating.

if it's blood and gore you're looking for, look elsewhere. "wii" aren't focused on seeing globs of goo spurting from every npc we kill.

just because the wii is more family-oriented doesn't make it any less of a console!

sure, blood is always fun to have, but i'm saying the wii isn't focused on delivering mind-boggling amounts of it in EVERY daggone title. the wii is as hardcore as you want it to be.

I bought a PS3 for RPGs and hopefully some RTS games. I think you may have to buy either a 360 or a PS3 if you want some of the game I think you're going to want. My BIG hope is that Blizzard will port Starcraft II over to the PS3/360 when it's released, or at some point soon thereafter. *crosses fingers*

I was looking at Eye of Judgment (PS3), and it seems to have a lot more depth/strategy than I initially gave it credit for, so I might have to pick it up. You get the eye camera thing, the game, and a bunch of cards. So if you decide to pick up a PS3, or are looking for a reason, I'd check out some videos on that if it sounds interesting.

As far as Wii games go, I would pretty much recommend any game I have in my sig as either a rental or buy, but they're all definitely worth playing at least once. Actually, one of the better games and most "hardcore" of my Wii games would be Alien Syndrome. It's a Diablo-esque dungeon crawler set in space. It got some pretty bad ratings, but I guarantee you if the graphics were good (they're pretty much PSP like, and that doesn't translate too well to a large screen TV), it would have gotten better scores. The biggest problem with the game, is that you control the camera by tilting the nunchuk either left or right depending on the way you want to look. Now, it can be a pain in the ass when you first start playing, especially when you have 2-4 people play co-op, because everyone can control the camera. Some people may get a bit *cough*lazy*cough* and start holding the chuk sideways, which sends the camera into a crazy spin. But once you get used to that, the game's very fun. There are five armour types I think, but within each type, the stats can vary. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I'd give it a rent if you played Diablo and liked it, or if you like collecting/upgrading games.

The reason why Nintendo have failed with the Gamecube and N64 gen is because of stupid mistakes i.e using cartridges for storage medium losing square to Sony. Poor online capabilities.

But the curse that has followed them since has always been there Third Party support letting them down. Let's face in all honest the Gamecube could of had a longer innings if it had the games to back it up!

But With the Wii already we have had some fantastic titles a few of the games which I adored where

Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime3, Zelda TP, Resi Evil 4, Zack and Wiki

I am anticipating No More Heroes although I have read mixed reviews and of course I shall be picking up Smash Bros when it arrives ( I'm from Uk)

We all know that Nintendo as a First party developer are the innovators and when they put there minds to it they always produce something magical and special.

We're into the Second year of the Nintendo Wii's life and still we are having the scenario where third party developers are dipping there big toe into the hot water before they jump into the bath. :wink:

Yes they are releasing Ports of older games with bolted on Wii remote controls and the amount of shovel ware filling up the local game stores shelves is incredible! surely this is damaging Nintendo's reputation?

After all what happened to the Nintendo Seal of quality?

Out of the three consoles The Nintendo Wii is a fantastic piece of hardware to work on after all it opens up new ways to play games so why are developers so hesitant to jump ship and to invest some decent money into the Wii and bring us some new unique game play experiences?

The development costs to produce a game are so much cheaper and the games are alot more quicker to develop for.

Somewhere along the line something is going wrong is it Nintendo's treatment of third party developers in the past which is effecting Wii interest this gen?

The opportunities for companies to develop for this console is outrageous and we the fans know that these developers if they put a bit of effort into the Wii could walk away with a tidy sum.

Games like

Portals - come on Valve how long would it take to port this to the wii?

Res Evil 5 - Sheer amount of fans requesting can only mean good things.

Soul Caliber 4 - Downgrade the visuals if you have we're still buy it

As for Nintendo cut back on the Kids stuff and bring us the following

Kid Icarus
Punch Out Wii
New dark I.P

they just need to cut back on all the kiddy games like stated, i just want some good rpg's, but it looks like in the near future were getting some, baroque, FF CC, and tales etc.

hal2814 said:
...All this "adult" and "mature" content almost exclusively appeals to teenage boys. In very few cases does it actually appeal to mature adults. Sony and Microsoft practically worship at the altar of their pimply-faced "hardcore" players. Nintendo does not. Nintendo takes gaming very seriously. What Nintendo doesn't take seriously is people begging for superfluous boobs and blood in their games. And I don't really blame them for that.

Excellent post.
Unfortunately, it will be ignored by most of the people on this forum.

Back