Hardcore Gaming and RPGs

AoWFraggit said:
too many people these days associate "hardcore" gaming with an M rating.
Exactly, M rating does not mean hardcore at all. Hardcore means gamers games. Games that people who appreciate and have been playing games for awhile really get into. In many cases hardcore games don't sell well. Ninja Gaiden on Xbox is a hardcore game. Ikaruga on Gamecube was a hardcore game. Okami on Wii is a hardcore game.

Monster Hunter 3 will be the definition of hardcore on Wii.

hal2814 said:
Nintendo has more fun first party games than any other developer and they have hardware specifically targeted at making gaming fun. What they don't take seriously is teenage boys and that really riles them up. All this "adult" and "mature" content almost exclusively appeals to teenage boys. In very few cases does it actually appeal to mature adults. Sony and Microsoft practically worship at the altar of their pimply-faced "hardcore" players. Nintendo does not. Nintendo takes gaming very seriously. What Nintendo doesn't take seriously is people begging for superfluous boobs and blood in their games. And I don't really blame them for that.

Uhh actually thats wrong... Infact the average 360 owner is over 21 and under 40.

So you and everyone who agree with you are now all officially stupid

T3kNi9e said:
Uhh actually thats wrong... Infact the average 360 owner is over 21 and under 40.

• The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
  • The average game buyer is 40 years old.
This is based on all gamers, not just specifically console games.
For console games, Forty percent (40%) of most frequent game players are under eighteen years old. Only twenty-five percent (25%) of most frequent game players are over 35 years old.

You will probably be surprised to know that Eighty-five percent (85%) of all games sold in 2007 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+.

Based on those actual facts, it could be easily surmised that those wanting to buy Mature rated games are probably still immature.

T3kNi9e said:

How so? I fail to see how the average* 360 owner's age being between 21 and 40 has anything to do who is buying "mature" games and more importantly who the target audience of the marketing is for those mature games. As a counterpoint, you are wrong because the earth is round. Ha Ha! Now you are officially stupid! Or am I for trying to refute your claim with completely unrelated data?

* What exactly do you mean by that? Does that mean > 50% of the 360 owners fall between the ages of 21 and 40 or something else entirely? I think average is the wrong word here. The colloquial definition of average tends to be mean and as far as I'm aware that's a single number, not a range of numbers.

where is that line about most statistics being made up? any links to these numbers? yes/no?

The games that I consider "hardcore" or at least somewhat (I labeled the RPG's for you) :

Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Battalion Wars 2
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers (RPG)
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (RPG)
No More Heroes
Mario Kart Wii
Zach and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’s Treasure
Baroque (Action RPG)
Fatal Frame 4
Manhunt
Manhunt 2
Alone in the Dark
Sadness (Action RPG)
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Adventure RPG)
Red Steel
Red Steel 2
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Okami
Mario Strikers Charged
Far Cry: Vengeance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Strategy RPG)
Dragon Quest Swords: Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (RPG on rails)
Rygar: Battle for Argus
Mortal Combat: Armmageddon

I keep track of all the decent games on Microsoft Word ;)

Last edited:
hal2814 said:
How so? I fail to see how the average* 360 owner's age being between 21 and 40 has anything to do who is buying "mature" games and more importantly who the target audience of the marketing is for those mature games. As a counterpoint, you are wrong because the earth is round. Ha Ha! Now you are officially stupid! Or am I for trying to refute your claim with completely unrelated data?

* What exactly do you mean by that? Does that mean > 50% of the 360 owners fall between the ages of 21 and 40 or something else entirely? I think average is the wrong word here. The colloquial definition of average tends to be mean and as far as I'm aware that's a single number, not a range of numbers.

Because you claim that Mature games exclusively appeal to teenagers and very rarely appeal to actual mature players. Yet if you look at the top Live games for 360 and Xbox most of the games there are all M rated. Seeing as the average 360 owner is well over 21, that would make your little theory wrong. Now if the average owner was around 16-17 then that would obviously mean most of those gamers playing CoD4, Halo 3, Gears of War, Frontlines, Halo 2 were teens like you claim.

Ok, total change of subject.

How sick would it be if they made an Elder Scrolls game for the Wii?

Wiigasm.

It could be really great. And you never know, the Gamebryo engine (which is also powering the upcoming Fallout 3) has reportedly already been ported to the Wii a while ago, and the guys at Bethesda have stated they'd like to do something for the Wii.

Driftwood said:
First of all, I'm wondering when the Wii will start taking gaming seriously. I know it's more intended to be family friendly and crap but.. (and there are games like this, a small amount), I need to see more "M"s on boxes, if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure we're set if we wanna play cutesy little kid games. It's like they say "Everyone can play the Wii!" and stuff but this obviously excludes the hardcore gamer.

And I don't wanna hear "Go get a 360 or PS3". I've always been and will always be a Nintendo loyalist. But now that the next generation has come, when will Nintendo start releasing more mature games? (And I don't just mean the rating).

Second thing. Are there any REAL RPGs planned for the Wii? I'm talkin like.. Oblivion, Final Fantasy, etc.

Thanks
Drift.

Wait a second, here? You're a Nintendo loyalist, but are still somehow surprised that there isn't a bounty of M rated games? Did you actually OWN any of the previous Nintendo consoles? I could seriously count all of the M rated games (or M rated types of games before ERSB) on ALL previous Nintendo consoles on both my hands and maybe a foot. Nintendo has never been known to have M rated games on their consoles and probably never will.

As far as RPG's, it'd be nice. But, please, no Japanese style RPG's. They blow. I could do without cheesy fantasy style games with random battles (ARGH!). Give me something unique with a time period, setting, atmosphere that hasn't been done to death (no medieval swords and scorcery stuff, no fantasy space crap, nothing with swords actually, etc.).

LordArchantos said:
It could be really great. And you never know, the Gamebryo engine (which is also powering the upcoming Fallout 3) has reportedly already been ported to the Wii a while ago, and the guys at Bethesda have stated they'd like to do something for the Wii.

I would absolutely kill for Fallout 3 to come out on the Wii. I might have to pick up a 360 otherwise. The first two Fallouts were some of the best games ever made, and no doubt among the best RPG's ever made (top 5, easily).

Driftwood said:
Ok, total change of subject.

How sick would it be if they made an Elder Scrolls game for the Wii?

Wiigasm.

Don't you think it would hinder the experience? Im not sure thats even remotely possible though. But im thinking of Oblivion, maybe Morrowind could be done.

Driftwood said:
I'm sorry. But you phail.

No he doesn't, he passes by 2 points. Your the only one that managed to phail in this thread. According to you, games with lots of blood and gore are always awesome and will always be better than games with an E on the box. Does that mean games like Manhunt 2 and Conflict: Denied Ops are the best games ever? I bet if you said that M rated games are always the best to any serioius gamer, they would chop your balls off and shove them up your nose and scream "HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK AT THE GUY WITH THE BALLS ON HIS FACE!!"

Go DIAF you smelly troll.

T3kNi9e said:
Don't you think it would hinder the experience? Im not sure thats even remotely possible though. But im thinking of Oblivion, maybe Morrowind could be done.

I would buy it if it came with some new stuff, but only cuz i just fryed my Xbox and dont wanna buy a used system

Last edited:
Back