Here's a question

So suddenly, on the exact day of your eighteenth birthday, you experience an epiphany which sheds light on every decision you'll ever make? That's pathetic, emotional maturity and age often run very different courses. If you leave the change too late, you'll never really be able to identify with either gender... you'll be this in-the-middle "freak" of society.

No you don't magically know everything when you turn eighteen. However you must admit that some guidelines must be put in place to ensure a little bit of life experience before making big decisions.

If you leave the change too late, you'll never really be able to identify with either gender... you'll be this in-the-middle "freak" of society.
I see what you're saying. I just don't think in actuality waiting for a couple more years will cripple your future identity to a gender.

Last edited:
I don't think "life experience" = age at all. Honestly, if it were my kid who were having these problems, I'd take them to counsellors, psychiatrists, therapists, whatever, but unlike a lot of people in this thread, I wouldn't get the therapists saying "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU FREAK", rather working to try and determined how prepared this kid is for hormone therapy. Sex change can come later.

...But legally, you can only have the final surgery once you're 18.

There's still a chance that it might just be a temporary crisis. I know that everyone thought they were the fountain of knowledge when they were twelve years old.

Then again, when they're 18, it's no longer your decision (directly) anyway so the operation thing is out of your hands, legally.
Psychiatrists and therapists don't make kids feel like there's anything wrong with themselves at all. Especially over something like this.[/Joke]

Maybe it's a phase a child goes through, and if so, you as a responsible parent should be able to help your child without all that crap, and if you feel that your child isnt just crying for attention, trying to "fit in by being differant" or however the saying goes, etc, then you can make a decision.
I think, you of all people (the parent) should be able to tell when your kid just wants attention.

Which is kinda my point...
I'm not saying "Yeah, do whatever you want", I'm saying if you couldnt notice things like this in your own kids' development, then yeah, maybe you should dump him/her in a psychiatrist's office like a good parent.

I was being sarcastic - are transgender people really popular and cool over there in the States? Because here, if you're transgender, then you're ostracised from society. That argument is ridiculous.

(I know you were being sarcastic)
When did I say that? People are even more insensitive and stupid over here then in Oz. There's no way someone can have a sex change operation and hope to live a completely normal life. You think I don't know that? What I have been trying to say is it isnt always just teenage anxiety that makes someone have a sex change.
You ever have sex with a man? I have, and I love it, but that doesnt mean all the sudden I want to lose my penis for the sake of society's praise.
Every TV show and newspaper article I've ever read about "this and that had a sex change" has always had a narrative or quote from the individual saying they did it for themselves and they don't care about the nosey religeous bastards that constantly tell you you're going to hell, and even the fact that their family has turned their back on them now seems to effect their decision on how they want to live their life.
For the record, no, I am not keen on the idea of any young person spontaneously having hormone treatments or anything of that sort, but nore do I think that it's something that should be written off as something of a "problem" if it persists just because you didnt want it for your child.

Anyway, that's my [strike]angry rant[/strike] view on it. Feel free to argue it.

Last edited:
Transsexualism is not something that happens out of nowhere, it gradually builds up similarly to Homosexuality and Bisexuality.

Why don't we let twelve year olds vote, drive or get married? I mean if they're capable of seriously thinking about a sex change, they should be a piece of cake right?

... Are you kidding me? Wanting a sex change is not the same damn thing as knowing how to vote, getting married, or knowing how to drive a car. You'd be better off comparing the decision of a sex change operation to those who make the decision of getting (mainly facial) plastic surgery or body implants. Besides, very rarely is a child even allowed to have sex reassignment surgery at such a young age even if the child and parents were ready for it with the correct amount of money.

So even if they wanted to at the age of 12, they couldn't until they're 18 (with the exception of Kim Petras) which would give them plenty of time to think the whole thing through until they reach the necessary age.

Too often do people generalize all children as stupid, not every child is incredibly naive & gullible.. here's an example of a guy who generalizes children after witnessing the wisdom of one of his own students.

Some Teacher said:
Driving to the meet yesterday, I had two swimmers in my car. One of them (14 years old) noticed the Obama bumper sticker in the back window, and asked if I was supporting him. (duh)

When I said I was, she said, “But I heard on the radio that it’s not cool now to support Obama.”

Silence in the car. I couldn’t think of a thing to say.

Thank goodness kids that age can’t vote, yes? Scary enough that she’ll start driving next year…

Fox said:
I'm not saying "Yeah, do whatever you want", I'm saying if you couldnt notice things like this in your own kids' development, then yeah, maybe you should dump him/her in a psychiatrist's office like a good parent.

You might as well say the same for those who have become Gay/Bisexual. Transsexualism isn't some mentally insane condition.. it's similar to those who eventually become gay, like a gradually building thing... first it starts with the cross dressing (serious cross-dressing, not the comedic form of it), and the acting like the opposite sex, and so on and so on, questioning their own sex (not in the idiotic sense of "I don't know what gender I am".), with having a desire to become the opposite sex.

Like.. "I feel like a girl on the inside, but I'm a boy on the outside.. I want to be on the outside the way I feel on the inside."

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic, refering to his first or 2nd post.

I was being sarcastic, refering to his first or 2nd post.

pyong_raposa_fox-21.gif
... oh.

Back