How to avoid Lag

sagema

3D Artist
Dec 5, 2006
NY
Wii Online Code
4496-9128-1304-3457
A lot of people are unaware how people even with cable modems can create lag in (player hosted) games. If you are running bit torrent, kazaa, or some other file sharing program where you are constantly uploading and downloading, you will heavily tax your bandwidth. This means even if you have a cable modem you will lag heavily. It's a more common problem with people who use routers. So the next time you're in a Brawl game, and lag is present, consider this being the most common occurance.

Please turn OFF any file sharing programs while in a Brawl match, and if you must leave them on, set your upload rate to a very low value until the lag disappears.

Nice advice, but its kinda common knowledge. Its very true that p2p programs will really make you lag.

all i know is i get almost no lag with my friends matches and mad lag with anyone. i guess cause my friends live in the general area.

When I used to play Star Craft, we encountered the problem a lot. We soon found out some people were running Kazaa in the background. It lagged the matches worse than a 56k modem. I wish we had a chat mode, because it's as easy as telling the player to turn off any file sharing programs. If the player refuses, you just leave the match. Eventually they get the hint.

make sure you TOTALLY close it. Just clicking the X on the window does not close a lot of those programs. You have to go to the bottom right and right click on the icon and close it.

Back