Is WiiChat.... dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I googled a few things based on your hints sremick, but I failed to find something that I thought was the right place. I'd rather see a link to it, there's already penises and farts in the thread. Might as well add some spam that's useful.

I have to tread lightly. I've had posts deleted in the past, my sig cleared, and my PMing rights are still revoked to this day. Last thing I need is to get banned entirely, although I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

vgchartz just seems like a lot of fanboys and children, although there are some intelligent people it doesn't gimme that community feel I'm looking for.

Well, I'm a 30+ professional, in the IT field, with plenty of internet, web, and programming experience under my belt. I'm the "douchebag" who coded several thousand lines for a custom php/mysql-based centralized friend-code database that i0n actually wanted to fold into WiiChat (before he vanished... him and I exchanged a number of emails on the topic).

I take my projects seriously and put a lot of effort into them. Currently the forum is subsidized through my other forms of income... so there's no advertising (for now... if it gets big I might have to try some so that I can upgrade it to a bigger server, but those who are bothered by it will just use adblock anyhow. That is well into the future though).

I don't see the forum as a source of income. In fact, I spent almost $200 advertising it over the course of this year (not money well-spent, I might add). I do it because I love computers, I love the internet, and I love the Wii (and Nintendo). I do it because I'm not satisfied with the other options out there. And I do it because I like managing online systems... which goes back to a BBS I ran back in the early 1990s (Fidonet and all!).

Nice to meet you. :)

Is that 'gaf' as in Neogaf? They're way too elitist for my tastes.

Yeah, it can be a scary place, but the elitism does lead to some positives. They're pretty thorough about things. I don't post very often, and I don't really read entire threads, but it can be a great source of information at times. I originally joined because people had made some pretty sweet mp3 compilations for Endless Ocean.

I have to tread lightly. I've had posts deleted in the past, my sig cleared, and my PMing rights are still revoked to this day. Last thing I need is to get banned entirely, although I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Nice to meet you. :)

Yeah I understand, don't mean to put you in a bad position, I'm usually a pretty straight shooter when it comes to rules, but this much neglect tends to make people not care. You get back from your patrons whatever you put in, and you're very right that i0n hasn't really put much in lately.

Its certainly more dead than before....thats a given.

Whether its "dead" is a different story.

Its nowhere near as busy as it was about a month or so before the crash.

The "Thinking Thread" used to go through multiple pages per day, now it goes through one page a week...

[DS]Leader;1041432 said:
it just seems like some important people or well known people aren't active
Fix'd.

This is the most true thing. Even if any one of you may not have liked them, AndThen?, Bliss, Brawny, Frogger, Celeste, Gikoku, and many others along with some that are still here really made the site bearable among all the more moronic members, quite frankly. That's just how it is. There just aren't enough people that I find interesting anymore. It's either jerks like navarre/heyguys arguing pointlessly with DRMARIO (most likely; sorry Jack P: ), or spam. Those are the only two categories left.

It's good to see members like Wiired, ROB64, Napalm and others still make an effort time and again, but the disparity of the forum has never been at such low depths. This time, it really is over, whether i0n comes back or not (for me, that is).

AndThen?, Bliss, Brawny, Frogger, Celeste, Gikoku, and many others along with some that are still here really made the site bearable among all the more moronic members, quite frankly.

It's good to see members like Wiired, ROB64, Napalm and others still make an effort time and again

I'd just like to point out that every single one of those with the exception of Wiired have created accounts at "the other forum" and have posted, although some are more-active than others.

There is still a certain amount of "chicken/egg" syndrome going on. A lot of people are waiting to see "what everyone else does". Back when WiiChat was down, that decision was easy. Now that WiiChat is running (although in zombie/sinking-ship mode) the old habits are hard to break. But with enough momentum, people could be hanging out together on a good forum instead of bitching about the forum they're visiting sucking so much, being dead, lacking mods, and just being too lame to bother visiting.

Right, well, I've made sure that doesn't happen for a while. Be on the lookout for another dupe account, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back