LOST Season 6

Bowserizer

Wha-Pao
Jan 29, 2008
New York
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Premiere was tonight. It was great. Go nuts.

Discussions of Season 6, the final season, and the show in general can be made here. What do we all think?

Way ahead of you, sir:

Details of Episode 01: LA X (Parts 1 & 2)

The Hydrogen Bomb:

Key Events:
  • 1974 - The bomb works. It saves the survivors, but only for them to be "moved" to 2007. The happenings as 1974 continues are unknown.
  • 2004 - It appears to have reset this timeline (due only to the show visiting the timeline).
  • 2007 - The survivors from the 1974 explosion are inserted into 2007, but other than this, the timeline remains unchanged.

Explanations:
  • Faraday's scientific research is correct.
  • The 1974 survivors are chronologically reunited with the other survivors after being originally separated through time by the flash during Ajira Flight 316's crash.
  • The Island is now underwater in the "new" 2004. This reinforces a new timeline reset, but it may also suggest something else: that this timeline is also a return to the timeline that was reset during the very first instance the Island supposedly "moved" through time during the Season Finale of Season 4 (one of the last scenes showed the Island "disappear", leaving nothing but water ripples). If this is true, it might mean that the Bomb also helped reset the events that occurred after the Island disappeared, allowing the now-revisited 2004 to continue seamlessly (for at least the next 3 years).
  • Because the Swan blows up in 1974, this allows Desmond to be on Flight 815 in the reset 2004 instead of on The Island in The Swan (as he did in the original timeline), causing him to either succeed his trip around the world or never take it in the first place. For some unknown reason, whatever he did instead lead him to Flight 815.

Questions:
  • How does 1974 continue?
  • What happens to the continuing 1974 timeline once it coincides with the now-reset 2004?
  • What happens to the reset 2004 once it coincides with 2007?
  • Why does The Island end up underwater?

The Temple:

Key Events:
  • It has a spring with the potential of reviving people.
  • The spring is normally another appearance (clear is my guess), but changed when the survivors arrived.
  • Other survivors from Flight 815 survived and appear to have stayed there since the crash.
  • The central area of The Temple is finally revealed in a present timeline.
  • Something is about to threaten The Temple.
  • The inhabitants seem to answer to Jacob, as expected.
  • The inhabitants appear to be led by a Japanese man (new character).
  • There was a message to them in the guitar case Jacob gave to Hurley.

Explanations:
  • The spring and the inhabitants' seeming praise of Jacob seems to make him appear all the more enigmatic and "spiritual".
  • The spring also reinforces The Island's healing properties. I guess drowning allows the water to enter the person's system "completely" or something like that.
  • Somehow, the spring can change based on special situations.
  • I think it's funny that the water works when it looks dirty instead of what I assume would be an original clear appearance.
  • The Temple camp being convinced by the survivors suggests that the note explicitly mentions them by name.
  • The Japanese man's leadership and what seems to be an allegiance to Jacob suggests he was granted that role by Alpert.
  • The special ash suggests that The Monster/Jacob's enemy is approaching.

Questions:
  • Why does the spring have more "potent" healing abilities?
  • Is the Temple the most "potent" source of Island properties?
  • Does the Japanese man have a special role like Alpert?
  • Was the Japanese man given his leader status by Alpert?
  • Why does Jacob communicate from a distance if he is on The Island anyway?

Jacob:

Key Events:
  • He is still able to exist to some degree, if not alive.
  • He knew Jin ran into the French camp when Jin flashed into 1954.
  • He knew Sayid could be cared for at The Temple.

Explanations:
  • His "death" at the statue foot did not completely get rid of Jacob's existence.
  • He is able to know what other survivors have done / are doing without being present.
  • He can exist beyond a physical state similar to how his enemy can.

Questions:
  • To be honest, everything about this guy is a mystery so I won't bother with any.

Sayid:
Key Events:
  • He dies.
  • He come back to life.

Explanations:
  • Apparently the spring works.

Questions:
  • Is Sayid still Sayid or could he be Jacob channeling through him similar to how his enemy is doing by manifesting as Locke?

Juliet:

Key Events:
  • She dies.
  • Through Miles, it is revealed that she knew the Hydrogen Bomb worked.

Explanations:
  • Somehow, Juliet was aware of the Bomb's success in spite of no one else knowing (yet).

Questions:
  • How did Juliet know the Hydrogen Bomb worked?
  • Why did only Juliet know?

"Anti"-Jacob (Jacob's opposite/foil and unnamed enemy)

Key Events:
  • He reveals himself as the Smoke Monster.
  • We once again (or is this the first time?) see that, as the Monster, he is somehow repelled by a special ash when laid on the ground.
  • He knows that Richard Alpert was once in chains at one point in the past.
  • He knows Ben hanged and killed Locke.

Explanations:
  • "Nemesis" is a silly title...,which is why I'm not using it. Not to say my alternative is great...but I prefer it, at least.
  • It seems that he has the ability to know the characters' actions off-island. Interestingly, he has yet to be seen as able to leave The Island, yet Jacob can.
  • The ash instance explains why Jacob's Cabin from Season 3 had ash around the house and suggests that he is headed toward the Temple.
  • He previously knew Richard Alpert.
  • The fact that he is The Monster likely explains why there were dead people appearing alive again to always discourage the survivors or lead them into deadly situations before or after The Monster appeared.

Questions:
  • How does he know something Ben did off-island without anyone telling him?
  • Did Locke see him as The Monster? And if so, why would Locke think it is "beautiful"?
  • Does he know Jacob is still running around The Island?
  • Did he put Alpert in chains? And if so, did Jacob free him to cause Alpert to work for Jacob?
  • Why is he repelled by the ash (at least when he is The Monster)?
  • Why did he have to be "summoned" when he acted as The Monster?

Bram:

Key Event:
  • He dies (impaled by a broken plank of wood).

Explanation:
  • Knowledge about the ash reinforces that Bram worked for Widmore.

Questions:
  • None.

Hurley:

Key Event:
  • He was the only one who could see Jacob, just like when he could only see the "supposed" Jacob in Season 3.

Explanations:
  • This reinforces Hurley's unexplained ability to see or experience things others can't.

Questions:
  • Does this suggest that his imaginary friend from Season 2 was actually real in some manner?
  • Does this suggest that the figure of the old man claimed to be Jacob in Season 3 was actually him? And if so, why does he look different?
  • Why can only Hurley see things?

Last edited:
My responses under spoiler tag just in case

[*]It has a spring with the potential of reviving people.
[*]The spring is normally another appearance (clear is my guess), but changed when the survivors arrived.

My guess is that the water appearance changed when Jacob died.

[*]I think it's funny that the water works when it looks dirty instead of what I assume would be an original clear appearance.

It didn't seem to work as expected though. The one guy cut his hand and put it in the water, but it wasn't healed. I think they figured they had nothing to lose by trying to Sayid anyway. I don't think Sayid is quite himself anymore either.
I'm also assuming this is how they saved young Ben's life after he was shot by Sayid.

[*]How did Juliet know the Hydrogen Bomb worked?
[*]Why did only Juliet know?

It could be a situation similar to when Desmind blew up the hatch. He gained some special knowledge (future flashes) because of being right on top of the explosion. Juliet was right next to the bomb and the energy pocket at the explosion, she may have glimpsed into the non-crash timeline at the time of the explosion.

"Anti"-Jacob (Jacob's opposite/foil and unnamed enemy)
[*]"Nemesis" is a silly title...,which is why I'm not using it. Not to say my alternative is great...but I prefer it, at least.

In the rerun of the season finale, they had the little pop-up information at the bottom. They referred to him only as The Man in Black.

[*]It seems that he has the ability to know the characters' actions off-island. Interestingly, he has yet to be seen as able to leave The Island, yet Jacob can.

Jack saw his dad back in LA after the Oceanic 6 rescue. Since the man in black guy appeared often as Jack's dad on the island, we might assume that was him as well off-island?

[*]Did Locke see him as The Monster? And if so, why would Locke think it is "beautiful"?

Locke described it as bright white. Maybe Jacob has a smoke form too, but as a white cloud?

Jack saw his dad back in LA after the Oceanic 6 rescue. Since the man in black guy appeared often as Jack's dad on the island, we might assume that was him as well off-island?
This is possible. Although it is likely, I'm still at odds with the idea that Christian Shephard as we see him post-death is The Man in Black, though. All the other manifestations had only one or two instances, while Shephard has had tons of them. It would make me wonder why it would always be him.

Something that everyone seems to be asking is why Locke saw "The Monster" as something beautiful, like a white light. My theory is that the Monster (a.k.a the Man in Black) has been after Locke from the very beginning of the show. This would explain why he tried to pull Locke, specifically, into the underground caverns in the Season 1 finale. That way, he could take his shape and sneak into the survivors camp, then manipulate one of them into killing Jacob. I think he chose Locke because Locke was the one who felt most attached to the Island: If he could trick Locke into thinking it was "the will of the Island", he could make him do almost anything. That's why he turned into something beautiful for him, rather than frightening-- he was trying to lure him in. I could probably give some more examples if necessary.
Just a theory.

This is possible. Although it is likely, I'm still at odds with the idea that Christian Shephard as we see him post-death is The Man in Black, though. All the other manifestations had only one or two instances, while Shephard has had tons of them. It would make me wonder why it would always be him.
I think Christian's post-death appearances are quite likely to be MIB/the Monster. It was he who planted the idea of sacrifice into Locke's head, which seems to be part of his grand plan (I get the impression the Monster can only impersonate dead people, and thus needed Locke dead so he could take his place). As to why he would impersonate Christian so much, presumably it's just a convenient identity who most people on the Island don't know, but allows him to manipulate Jack and Claire if need be.

I have a theory that Eko was originally supposed to play some part in the Monster's grand plan, but when he failed his 'test' by refusing to ask for forgiveness, the Monster decided to kill him instead.

What I really want to know is: How does the Island end up underwater in the alternate timeline? Are we just meant to assume the nuke did that? (In reality that would be completely ridiculous, but hey, it's a TV show)

Something that everyone seems to be asking is why Locke saw "The Monster" as something beautiful, like a white light. My theory is that the Monster (a.k.a the Man in Black) has been after Locke from the very beginning of the show. This would explain why he tried to pull Locke, specifically, into the underground caverns in the Season 1 finale. That way, he could take his shape and sneak into the survivors camp, then manipulate one of them into killing Jacob. I think he chose Locke because Locke was the one who felt most attached to the Island: If he could trick Locke into thinking it was "the will of the Island", he could make him do almost anything. That's why he turned into something beautiful for him, rather than frightening-- he was trying to lure him in. I could probably give some more examples if necessary.
Just a theory.

I was thinking something very very similar to that, Bryan.

@Napalm, thats a nice theory about Eko that doesn't make me hate the show. Killing him off just felt so forced (due to the fact that he wanted to leave the show). That theory makes it not feel as business-like.

@Napalm, thats a nice theory about Eko that doesn't make me hate the show. Killing him off just felt so forced (due to the fact that he wanted to leave the show). That theory makes it not feel as business-like.
I would love to have seen how the series would have turned out with Eko still in it. Apparently the writers had planned a 4 year arc for him. :(

GigaRidley, I support your theory all the way.

We know that at least since the 60's, MIB decided he needed to bend the rules...so that was his agenda as The Monster from the very start. The Monster can somehow absorb memories, as seen by the projection of them from inside it, and the ability for MIB to know everything about Locke. Locke was one of the very first encounters MIB made as The Monster. Locke somehow started becoming "special". MIB can impersonate dead figures (which I believe is also correct, as theorized by Napalm and others I have talked with about the show), and Christian Shephard seems to be the most influential of impersonations to lead Locke into certain Island situations. So, yeah, from the get-go, MIB most likely wanted Locke...and I think your reasoning as to why Locke supports such a decision.

Your explanation of why The Monster appeared beautiful is also very likely to be true. That one we'll have to see explained in future episodes.

Last edited:
I would love to have seen how the series would have turned out with Eko still in it. Apparently the writers had planned a 4 year arc for him. :(

I couldn't agree with you more. He was one of the most compelling characters in the show.

Back