Major League Baseball

oh yeah i know, I'm just making fun of the fact that everyone always says that Laroche is a "slow starter" But he doesn't play well until after the all-star break.

Here's an interesting article from foxsports.com

Braves legend Henry Aaron may again be baseball's all-time home-run king. For the first time Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has said he would consider a move to strip Barry Bonds of his record for all-time home runs, according to a report. Christine Brennan of USA Today called on Selig to alter baseball's record book and reinstate Aaron as the official record-holder for the most career home runs. Aaron hit 755 in 23 seasons. Bonds broke Aaron's record in 2007, and with his career seemingly over, he has 762 in 22 seasons. In a telephone interview with Brennan on Wednesday, Selig said of altering the record book: "Once you start tinkering, you can create more problems. But I'm not dismissing it. I'm concerned. I'd like to get more evidence." Attempts to reach Selig and Aaron on Thursday evening were unsuccessful. -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mets sign Livan Hernandez.
Source: NY Daily News

Mets GM Omar Minaya said on Feb. 3 that there would be no more "big moves" prior to the Mets breaking camp in Port St. Lucie this week, but he didn't say anything about making another call to arms.

Despite a glut of pitchers competing for the No. 5 spot in manager Jerry Manuel's starting rotation - including Freddy Garcia, Tim Redding and rookie Jon Niese - the Mets acquired veteran right-hander Livan Hernandez.

Hernandez, who won a World Series ring with the 1997 Marlins and who is the half brother of Orlando (El Duque) Hernandez, pitched last season for the Rockies and Twins and compiled a cumulative 13-11 record with a 6.05 ERA.

Hernandez signed a $1 million minor-league deal with $1 in performance bonuses, according to a source familiar with the deal. Hernandez is expected at camp this weekend.

Hernandez's best season came in 2000 with the Giants, when he pitched 240 innings and finished with a 17-11 record and a 3.75 ERA. Hernandez also pitched in the 2002 World Series, which his Giants lost to the Angels in seven games. Hernandez's new teammate, Francisco (K-Rod) Rodriguez, won a championship ring pitching for Anaheim that season.

The addition of Hernandez, who turns 34 on Feb. 20, is another indicator that free agent Pedro Martinez will likely wear another uniform this season if the Dominican ace comes to terms on a new contract with a team.

Minaya went to work this winter solidifying the team's bullpen - a major weakness last season - by acquiring K-Rod and J.J. Putz, but Minaya also addressed the starting rotation. In addition to Redding and Garcia, lefty Oliver Perez also signed a three-year, $36 million deal.

This is gonna be quite a competition for the #5 spot between Niese, Redding, Garcia & now Hernandez. They're not playing around. They want whoever wins that last spot to really work for it...

Last edited:
That's pretty debatable since home runs are only 1 category out of at least 10 in most standard leagues, so I don't see your reasoning there.

But Pujols would probably be as close to #1 as you can get right now. Hits for power, hits for avg, awesome with RISP, gold glove defense. Of course, I'm talking outside the fantasy world...

In most fatasy leagues, a solo homerun counts for 5 points. That would be 5 singles by another player. My team last year struggled because my big name picks were like hanley rameriez and alex rios. I know hanley is great, but rios was a let down. The big boys are the better targets in Fatasy baseball

That may differ from league to league in terms of rules & scoring, not to mention what site you are using like Yahoo or ESPN, though I have no idea what the norm is in ESPN leagues as I've never used it. In most standard Yahoo leagues, a home run counts for one point. I happen to be in 3 leagues this year...

That Livan signing, although its good, it puzzles me. We have: Santana, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey, Garcia, Redding, Neise (who is def gonna be back in AAA, now) and now Livan.
I mean im all for competing for that last spot, but people are gonna be unhappy when they find out they are not in the 5th spot. Garcia has already come out and said if he isnt the 5th starter he will demand to pitch somewhere else. And to me he is the 5th guy, i believe as of right now its his to lose. Redding, I think will serve as a nice long man, if he is ok with that role.

That may differ from league to league in terms of rules & scoring, not to mention what site you are using like Yahoo or ESPN, though I have no idea what the norm is in ESPN leagues as I've never used it. In most standard Yahoo leagues, a home run counts for one point. I happen to be in 3 leagues this year...

I use MLB.com Open fantasy leagues.

Ok so I have a question or two about the fantasy league Nick. Mostly about the draft. First off, it says it's a live draft, so are we going to have a certain amount of time to get our picks in or what? How is the draft order going to be determined? Then is there a position order we have to draft in or is it anyone we want at anytime?

Ok so I have a question or two about the fantasy league Nick. Mostly about the draft. First off, it says it's a live draft, so are we going to have a certain amount of time to get our picks in or what? How is the draft order going to be determined? Then is there a position order we have to draft in or is it anyone we want at anytime?

Even though im not Nick, I can answer your question. Fantasy leagues generally consist of 12 teams. Randomly, the league chooses what position you draft at. (1-12) when it goes to 12, the 12th pick also gets 13 pick and it goes back down until everyone has their roster filled with 15 players/pitching teams. You have 1:30 to select who you want. If someone in your league is not there, they automatically get the next best rated player. If have any questions feel free to ask

Ok the draft order is random. Yahoo, before the draft will select our seeds. Also since the draft is live we all have to be there at that specific time. I believe we are timed, something like 2min a pick.
as for positions, you team will look like this:

C
--empty--
1B
--empty--
2B
--empty--
3B
--empty--
SS
--empty--
OF
--empty--
OF
--empty--
OF
--empty--
Util
--empty--
SP
--empty--
SP
--empty--
RP
--empty--
RP
--empty--
P
--empty--
P
--empty--
P
--empty--

Plus some bench players.

The trade deadline is Aug. 16th
You can claim a player off waivers within 2 days
Also ofcourse you have to change ur roster daily on who to bench and start.
Also as of now the draft is Saturday March 14th at 8pm Eastern. If anyone feels they cant make it let me know and i will try to make it possible to we can all be there.

Back