Nintendo’s President Iwata Says Wii U Will Focus On Core Gamers First

Maura

Super Moderator
Jul 7, 2011
UK
maura-albums-pictures-picture8673-wii-u-1.jpg

Eurogamer reports today that Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has been talking about the Wii U at an investor Q&A meeting following on from Nintendo posting its first ever annual loss last week. In the meeting, Iwata said that Nintendo has learned from mistakes that it made with the Wii, meaning that although the Wii was of course an incredible success with casual gamers, with games such as Wii Sports, Nintendo went on to have problems with getting core gamers to take the Wii seriously as a console, which in turn had a detrimental effect on the Wii’s long-term success.

“Regrettably, what we prioritized in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritized for those who play games as their hobby,” said Iwata. “Consequently, we presume some people felt that Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released.”

Iwata went on to say that Nintendo’s approach with the Wii U would be similar to how it approached the launch of the 3DS, i.e., concentrating on core titles first and foremost ahead of casual games. So basically that means we can expect some sweet Mario and Zelda Wii U games!

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cater-to-core-gamers-first-mass-market-second

I couldn't care less about this news, admittedly.

... Namely because whether the games they design are "casual" or "core", they're brilliant pieces of entertainment that keep me faithful to Ninty for supplying an enjoyable gaming experience.

This is pretty nice, hopefully it will decrease the number of people that ***** about Nintendo "sucking." And considering I mainly play core games, I'll probably be more interested in this than I was with the Wii.

Sorry, that won't happen. With titles like Madworld and House of the Dead on Wii, no one bought the dam games, in spite of everyone bitchin that there are no hardcore games on it. It's just a forced mentality by idiodic teens. As we all know, the CoD market is their only source of reasoning.

Back