Public Transportation

Celeste said:
Any other unfortunate souls here forced to utilize public transportation in busy, overpopulated cities?

The following things have happened to me on Subways or in Subway stations:
1) Being followed by a menacing black guy all the way to my car
2) Being asked to buy weed
3) Being asked to buy and re-sell cocaine
4) Being asked to come to someone's apartment to do a "modeling" audition
5) Having someone sit down beside me and put their arm around me
6) Having someone shout obscene sexual things at me loud enough for the whole train car to hear
7) Solicited for sexual acts
8) Asked on dates from people I'd never laid eyes on before
9) Been slapped on the ass by a drunk homeless man
10) Been preached to and given religious documents for my entire trip
11) Been freaked out by people praising Allah...frantically speaking in Arabic and looking really suspicious
12) Been cornered by 2 guys and asked out...them NOT leaving me alone until my ride showed up outside the station
13) Attempted purse snatching

Maybe some of it doesn't seem like a bit deal, but when you're alone, small, female, and generally a frightened person, it just isn't good.

Yesterday evening I was groped twice on the subway by an east-indian looking man, and I quickly yelped and moved away. He then yelled at me and stared at me, calling me awful things for what seemed like 10 minutes. Then he groped a middle aged Asian woman, as well. I got off the subway at the next stop I could, and had a pretty severe panic attack, to say the least.

It's really unfortunate getting sexually assaulted whilst innocently trying to get from point A to point B.

Anyone else have bad experiences?
What should I do (I mean besides get a driver's license, I'm working on that...it's just stressful because I learnt to drive initially in NZ where drivers aren't psychos)?

I want a gun. Seriously. Or a huge guy to protect me.
Omg, wow, rant.

ive seen most of that happen, but no one really bothers me except drug dealers or drug addicts and just plain wierdo's. here in ny in the subway stations there are bum performers asking for money, by playing drums made out of garbage cans and stuff like that, and u can tell all the money is going to drugs and they are back there the next day. ive seen muggings and someone get their bag sliced open and 3 guys run to the loot like it were a piñata. crazy **** happens, but it beats paying for a car and then insurance every month, then parking. atleast in nyc that is

Syntax said:
I would suggest on buying pepper spray if you don't already have any. Buying a gun may just lead to more unnecessary problems.. As for problems regarding buses etc, I haven't come across any. However, it's most likely due to the fact that I'm a guy..
I agree. Girls seem to get the bad end of the stick for nearly everything.
I personally don't think that it is that bad here in London (but then again, I am a guy), but I always travel with my sister if she is going anywhere far on her own. I agree that I am over protective of my sister, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
I am sorry that you have to go through this everyday.

Some chavs started pushing me around on a bus before. After a few minutes one pulled out a knife so I punched him in the head and floored him.

Unluckily for him, I was wearing these:
20670507a1338471737b543ln8.jpg

He tried to press charges but everyone on the bus saw that it was self-defence.

I'm not sure if you get chavs in America, but basically they are really really stupid white idiots who think their black

Jay588 said:
ive seen most of that happen, but no one really bothers me except drug dealers or drug addicts and just plain wierdo's. here in ny in the subway stations there are bum performers asking for money, by playing drums made out of garbage cans and stuff like that, and u can tell all the money is going to drugs and they are back there the next day. ive seen muggings and someone get their bag sliced open and 3 guys run to the loot like it were a piñata. crazy **** happens, but it beats paying for a car and then insurance every month, then parking. atleast in nyc that is

In Florida our PT is non-existent (Some bus, but I'm talking more non-stop, commuter train services). The infrastructure doesn't exist plus it's compounded by people just loving to drive.

We travel quite a bit though - NYC at least 2-3 times a year, DC about the same (in fact DC in ~2 weeks), where we *always* take PT (we were also just in Boston, same deal). I've only felt uneasy a couple of times - I'd say I can handle myself pretty well - I tend towards a little more paranoia in public settings, so I'm always thinking in advance about how to deal with a situation. Plus we tend to blend in as "locals" :D

I've seen a good bit of the behavior Celeste posted at one point or another - nothing directed at us usually (just the handout people). We were on a crowded train once and this guy was doing a grope-o-rama (I generally figure let it go if it's not directed AT me or the wifey), then he migrated over to us - I leaned over to a big guy sitting down said really loud "What's up, I hate to bother you, but I think my wife needs that seat - this *** piece of *** right here thinks he needs to touch her" He got up and suggested said person needed to get off at the next stop. He did quickly and quietly. :lol:

FRuMMaGe said:
Some chavs started pushing me around on a bus before. After a few minutes one pulled out a knife so I punched him in the head and floored him.

Unluckily for him, I was wearing these:
20670507a1338471737b543ln8.jpg

He tried to press charges but everyone on the bus saw that it was self-defence.

I'm not sure if you get chavs in America, but basically they are really really stupid white idiots who think their black

Wigger = Chav

DRMARIO said:
Oh, and don't get me started in public transport. People call me a snob for it, but I ruddy well hate it!
It's full of..people.
And you always end up sitting next to someone weird, or just smells really bad.
I know. It being full of..people, is the worst part =(
In life I like to limit interaction and exposure with human beings I don't know, but that's out of my control in commuting situations...people call me a snob too.

Celeste said:
I know. It being full of..people, is the worst part =(
In life I like to limit interaction and exposure with human beings I don't know
I know what you mean. It's called genocide :lol:

I used to use public transportation every day to go to school in DC. I can say that, in comparison to most other places I have used public transportation, I think that the DC metro system is one of the best. It is clean for the most part, and mostly safe. I rarely felt unsafe myself, even as a young kid by myself. I did witness a few situations that were pretty outrageous. Mainly creepy men masturbating, or people just getting harassed. There was one time that a friend and I had to literally kick this one guy off the train. He was telling people to give him money. Not asking. He was telling them, "give me a dollar!!" Then he approached this older lady. When she just stared at him, and didn't respond, he started going for her purse. My buddy and I just looked at each other, got up, and grabbed the guy. He was kinda shocked that we were even messing with him, and didn't really put up a fight. We slammed him up against the wall, then stood in front of the lady. He stood in front of the door like he was going to get off at the next stop. The doors opened and he just stood there. I ran up, and kicked him in the back, and he fell onto the platform. People started cheering, then the lady started to cry. It was crazy.

I can say this though....if I saw someone mess with my girl Celeste, they would not be getting away with a swift kick from behind. I am guessing it would not be pretty.

I also saw one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life on the DC metro. I saw this lady jump in front of a train at the Chinatown station. Absolutely awful. They shut down the metro for a while. I still get freaked out thinking about it.

Last edited:
TacosTacos said:
I used to use public transportation every day to go to school in DC. I can say that, in comparison to most other places I have used public transportation, I think that the DC metro system is one of the best.

Agreed. I've been on quite a few - the M is almost like the monorail at Disneyworld :D

Celeste said:
Any other unfortunate souls here forced to utilize public transportation in busy, overpopulated cities?

The following things have happened to me on Subways or in Subway stations:
1) Being followed by a menacing black guy all the way to my car
2) Being asked to buy weed
3) Being asked to buy and re-sell cocaine
4) Being asked to come to someone's apartment to do a "modeling" audition
5) Having someone sit down beside me and put their arm around me
6) Having someone shout obscene sexual things at me loud enough for the whole train car to hear
7) Solicited for sexual acts
8) Asked on dates from people I'd never laid eyes on before
9) Been slapped on the ass by a drunk homeless man
10) Been preached to and given religious documents for my entire trip
11) Been freaked out by people praising Allah...frantically speaking in Arabic and looking really suspicious
12) Been cornered by 2 guys and asked out...them NOT leaving me alone until my ride showed up outside the station
13) Attempted purse snatching

Maybe some of it doesn't seem like a bit deal, but when you're alone, small, female, and generally a frightened person, it just isn't good.

Yesterday evening I was groped twice on the subway by an east-indian looking man, and I quickly yelped and moved away. He then yelled at me and stared at me, calling me awful things for what seemed like 10 minutes. Then he groped a middle aged Asian woman, as well. I got off the subway at the next stop I could, and had a pretty severe panic attack, to say the least.

It's really unfortunate getting sexually assaulted whilst innocently trying to get from point A to point B.

Anyone else have bad experiences?
What should I do (I mean besides get a driver's license, I'm working on that...it's just stressful because I learnt to drive initially in NZ where drivers aren't psychos)?

I want a gun. Seriously. Or a huge guy to protect me.
Omg, wow, rant.

This is why I don't use public transport :p I just get reeeally scared of the people there... especially after the bombing things, that scares me even more. Daddy has to drop me everywhere I go... but only until liiike... July next year when I'll hopefully have my driving license! :)

Back