Super Smash Bros. 4

What little data of Mewtwo that exists on Brawl's disc (essentially placeholder stuff in preparation for actual development of the character) implies that Mewtwo was cut from the roster literally instantly, as was the rest of the forbidden seven... though that's a whole other topic. Which is to say, he was cut at the very start of Brawl's development. Possibly before it was decided Lucario would join the cast, most definitely before there was any solid idea of what Lucario's moveset would be like.

That piece'a information sort'a debunks the thesis that Lucario replaced Mewtwo because Sakurai didn't want any clones; i f this was so early in development that no one knew what Lucario's moves would be like, obviously they wouldn't axe Mewtwo to prevent Lucario from bein' a clone, the most common argument for Lucario bein' a direct replacement for Mewtwo.

That aside, we don't know why Mewtwo was removed in the first place. We've never had official comment from Sakurai. Could'a been time restraints, could'a been when it was decided to include PT, or both him and Lucario, which is literally four new Pokemon characters. I'd bet a Pokedollar or two that all'a the new Pokemon characters is why Mewtwo was cut (and is a third reason why Pichu was doomed to disappear forever)... though that's a groundless statement, obviously. As I said, we can't know for sure why Mewtwo didn't obtain that coveted Smash veteran status.

I heard (this may be completely false) that Mewtwo was cut at the very end of development due to time constraints, and they decided to program in Sonic in his place because he had a far easier to design moveset. So, if that's true, Sonic replaced Mewtwo more than anyone else did.
On that note, if Mewtwo makes it into SSB4 (which he very well might,) I wonder if his Mega Evolutions will be incorporated?

If he did, his Mega Evolution(s) would almost definitely be incorporated in some way. They're the only reason why he's relevant to Pokemon at the moment, after all.

Mewtwo was cut at the very end of development

nope.avi

He was cut in the very, very beginning. That much is absolutely certainly. There'd be more data of 'em otherwise.

Unless,
They made the character roster before development
Made spots for each
Then cut the ones they had no time to make late into development

A plausible thesis, though I'm still on board the sentiment that Mewtwo was cut early rather than late.

Other returning characters I think are likely to make it are Diddy Kong and Zelda. Jigglypuff could see a new moveset with Fairy-type moves to represent the new type, although other than it's type change it's been pretty irrelevant recently. Lucario could incorporate it's Mega-Evolution somehow, but they might not want to have too many Pokémon characters in the game. I'd also be very surprised it other oldies like Ness and Yoshi didn't see a return, as they are both very unique characters.

Zelda, Ness 'n Yoshi are all veterans, so they'l return guaranteed.

Jiggles won't see much moveset change I don't think. Even once-clone characters (whicharentclonesbutughanothertopic) like Flaco 'n Ganon didn't see much change to their moves in Brawl; I interpret the reasoning as Sakurai not wantin' to put off players of that character by changin' 'em too much. So yeah, I reckon Jiggles will stay almost the exact same, much as we'd all like to see Rest replaced with any Fairy-type move. nick dont even

If Diddy didn't become a veteran by returnin' for Smash 4, I'd be shocked. The Kong series might even be deserving of a third rep (ohai moveset thred) if new games keep on comin' out, not that I specifically predict it happening.

... ... ... Just noticed I forgot why I always intentionally misspell Falco as such.

Guess I'll keep up tradition and keep goin' with it regardless.

I agree, Flaco and Gordondarf weren't changed much, but neither was Zlead/Shike, nor Pkichau.

Back