The Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist

BrandonMcAuslan

Special Olympics Medalist
Nov 21, 2006
632
17
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
I was very skeptical when I heard that the Smashing Pumpkins were releasing a new album. This being the band that has probably had the biggest impact on my musical tastes throughout my adolescence (plus Nirvana & Pearl Jam), I wanted Zeitgeist to be good - but I cynically prepared myself for another "zwan" or awful Billy Corgan solo enterprise. I expected that the Pumpkins would show themselves to be finally past-it - like pearl jam, trying to re-aquaint themselves with their youth whilst they hurtle further and further into middle-age mediocrity (I still love Pearl Jam - they can do no wrong, even embracing mediocrity).

Anyhow Zeitgeist isn't the full Smashing Pumpkins line-up from yesteryear, in fact its just Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin who return to make the new album. But considering James Iha was just in the band to do what the f*ck Billy Corgan told him to, and D'arcy Wretzky wasn't the greatest bass player in the world, it can safely be said that Zeitgeist is a return to Vintage Gish/Siamese Dream era Pumpkins.

The Album is tremendous - Its far superior to Machina (1&2) as well as adore (I still think adore is a work of genius and well ahead of its time). I'd recommend zeitgeist to anyone as a great rock album. Buy it now! Buy it from itunes to get the extra track that shares the albums title "Zeitgeist" - I haven't heard this track yet though.

I final note I wil say that the Pumpkin's "mellon collie and the infinite sadness" is one of the greatest albums ever written, plus its a double album! (every single track is great - not one track requires skipping when listening through that album!).

Anyone else heard the album (track 7 is a bit dodgy)? Anyone else like the Pumpkins?
 

mark84

WiiChat Member
May 19, 2007
114
0
Ooh, yeah I enjoy them, cant say i've heard any of the new album though, but i've got all of their older ones, some absolutley brilliant songs. :)
 

Almo

WiiChat Member
Mar 19, 2007
1,080
43
Wii Online Code
8407-4245-3370-0256
i love the pumpkins and i love this album! the last two tracks are a little weird but otherwise aw

This gun is loaded, devoted
You postulate the rest
Riding the seesaw
There's no law
That I have ever met
I'm just a flat punk
On dead junk
Riding a vanguard
Cut from the vaunted
I'm haunted, till death do us part
'Cause I want you bad, ah
'Cause I want you badesome!

lol btw does everyon e know that Billy is accualy mentally insane and is allowed to remain outside of an institution because his music and band keeps him sane, as soon as he leaves the band hes off to the nut house lol, just another great reason to love the smashing pumpkins
 
Last edited:

Jav

Wii in Javelland
Jun 26, 2007
136
1
Sydney
Wii Online Code
5229-2722-4859-3921
Almo said:
lol btw does everyon e know that Billy is accualy mentally insane and is allowed to remain outside of an institution because his music and band keeps him sane, as soon as he leaves the band hes off to the nut house lol, just another great reason to love the smashing pumpkins


Haha i did not know that.
Guess he will be making music till he croaks, or kills some one.
It was probably him that killed all there drummers.

Any way, love the pumpkins. Adore was awesome and any self respecting fan of music has to own mellon collie and the infinite sadness.

Ill be checking this album out pretty soon.
 

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
6,419
62
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Almo said:
i love the pumpkins and i love this album! the last two tracks are a little weird but otherwise aw

This gun is loaded, devoted
You postulate the rest
Riding the seesaw
There's no law
That I have ever met
I'm just a flat punk
On dead junk
Riding a vanguard
Cut from the vaunted
I'm haunted, till death do us part
'Cause I want you bad, ah
'Cause I want you badesome!

lol btw does everyon e know that Billy is accualy mentally insane and is allowed to remain outside of an institution because his music and band keeps him sane, as soon as he leaves the band hes off to the nut house lol, just another great reason to love the smashing pumpkins

Whoah I didn't know that..but he hasn't been with the band for a bit until now though, so his poetry kept him sane then?
 
OP
B

BrandonMcAuslan

Special Olympics Medalist
Nov 21, 2006
632
17
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #7
lol thats not true - Billy corgan is a good 8.5 on the crazy scale. But he's not institutionalized. Just extremely eccentric, as most big name musicians are.
 

demonflair

Slowly returning..
Feb 10, 2007
2,513
76
Portugal, Portimão
Wii Online Code
2967-1215-6372-5681
I love the album!!!
Tarantula, Starz, and Neverlost are already my fav songs of them.

Smashink Pumpkins are awesome...
 

rossertserious

WiiChat Member
Jun 8, 2007
6
0
Smashing pumpkin

Hi all
Smashing pumpkin is awesome. My favorite songs from this band are Tarantula, Starz and Neverlost. I will buy new album as soon as possible.
 

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
6,419
62
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
rossertserious said:
Hi all
Smashing pumpkin is awesome. My favorite songs from this band are Tarantula, Starz and Neverlost. I will buy new album as soon as possible.

So if you don't have the album, how do you know those songs?
 

Jav

Wii in Javelland
Jun 26, 2007
136
1
Sydney
Wii Online Code
5229-2722-4859-3921
His reply seems mighty similar to Demonflair's.
Some one taking the piss maybe?
 
Top