The SSBB History Lesson (see first post)

--Pikachu

NameCard.png

Pikachu is by and large the most recognizable character from the Pokemon franchise, which began its existence on the Game Boy on February 27, 1996. The purpose of the game was pretty straight forward. First, the player must catch and train as many different species of Pokemon they could from around the Kanto region. The second objective was to defeat the leaders of 8 gyms, each of which were specialized in a certain Pokemon type. Finally, after acquiring all 8 gym badges, you could enter the Pokemon League and battle the Elite Four. From time to time, you occasionally run into your town rival who challenges you to a battle.

PokemonRed.jpg
PokemonBlue.jpg

The game extended beyond its single player mode, and introduced a trading system where players could link up their Game Boys and make offers on each other's Pokemon collection. In fact, trading was the only way players could catch all 151 original Pokemon species.

LinkCable.jpg

The success of the original Pokemon games spawned of creation of hit television show, 10 feature films, a card game, and 3 later generations of Pokemon games. Each subsequent generation introduced a new set of creatures, bringing the current total to 493 different species of Pokemon.

PokemonYellow.jpg

Although Pikachu made his debut on the Game Boy, he didn't become a worldwide hit until the television series first aired in Japan on April 1, 1997. The show follows the journey of Ash Ketchum as he trains to become a Pokemon master. His first Pokemon is a Pikachu, given to him after the all other starter Pokemon were given away to other trainers. Although Ash and Pikachu's relationship starts of poorly, they soon develop a strong friendship that continues through the entirety of the series.

PikachuAsh.png

Pikachus are mouse Pokemon that specialize in electric attacks. They evolve from Pichus and later evolve into Raichus with the help of a Thunder Stone. Though Pichu wasn't introduced into the franchise until the second generation, it still makes an appearance as playable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Volt Tackle

PikachuFSA1.jpg
PikachuFSA2.jpg

Pikachu gets his Final Smash from Pokemon Emerald. Volt Tackle is a powerful electric attack that causes damage to the Pikachu due to recoil. It is obtained by equipping any member from the Pikachu family with a Light Ball and breeding it with another Pikachu-related Pokemon. If everything goes as planned, a Pichu will be born with Volt Tackle in its moveset.

VoltTackleMenu.png

Like its Game Boy counterpart, Volt Tackle in Brawl is a very powerful attack that turns Pikachu into a giant ball of electricity. The player gets the freedom to control the direction of Pikachu's attack. However, similar to Volt Tackle on the Game Boy, such a powerful attack comes with a price. Instead of being hit by recoil, if Pikachu is not positioned carefully when the attack ends, he runs the risk of falling to his doom.

PikachuFSA3.jpg

References:
http://www.wikipedia.org
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net
http://www.serebii.net/emerald/volttackle.shtml
http://www.ign.com

Last edited:
First stage in our History Lesson! Enjoy!

--Battleship Halberd

Halberd1.jpg

Perhaps the most enigmatic stage to be announced on the Smash Bros. Dojo, Meta Knight's Battleship Halberd has been revealed to play a major role in Brawl's Subspace Emissary. Though the circumstances surrounding its existence have not been unveiled, we can be confident that the ship itself will be quite large.

ROMK%20Title.png
ROMK%20Opening.png

While Meta Knight made his video game debut in Kirby's Adventure for the NES, his infamous airship didn't make its first appearance until Kirby Super Star, which was released for the SNES on March 21, 1996. The Halberd served as the primary setting for the subgame Revenge of Meta-Knight (note the hyphen), though some portions of the game take place in regions throughout Dream Land.

ROMK%20Opening2.png
ROMK%20Opening3.png

Meta Knight returns to Dream Land aboard the Halberd, determined to take over and put an end to its lazy lifestyle. Kirby must stop him by defeating his henchmen, destroying parts of the ship, and ultimately battling Meta Knight himself in hopes of sinking the Halberd into the depths of Orange Ocean. Although it plays similarly to the other games within Kirby Super Star, Revenge of Meta-Knight ups the difficulty level by adding a timer for each stage as well as text that runs along the bottom of the screen during gameplay. Additionally, players must unlock this game by completing other games within the series.

Final%20Battle.jpg
Halberd%20ROMK2.jpg

The Halberd's appearance in Brawl has been changed since its original design in Kirby Super Star. Although the main elements remain intact (giant wings, Meta Knight mask at the front of the ship), the overall shape of the vessel has been updated to fit the gameplay in Brawl. When compared side by side, it is clear that the front of the ship is much larger today than it was 1996. Additionally, there is now more room to battle on the top of the ship. Small alterations like these give the Halberd a more modernized look.

Halberd%20ROMK1.jpg
Halberd2.jpg

There is one major element that has remained completely unchanged in its transformation into the next generation. The Twin Cannon, now named the Double-Barreled Battery, makes its return to the Wii. There are three components that make up the Twin Cannon. First, the barrel on top shoots giant bombs in different directions. Second, the barrel on the bottom shoots a giant laser that stretches across the screen...

Twin%20Cannon3.jpg
Halberd4.jpg

...And finally, the cannon's arm drops smaller bombs that rain in from above.

Twin%20Cannon2.jpg
Halberd3.jpg

Although it has been confirmed that the lower barrel still shoots its massive laser, it is still uncertain as to whether the other two components will retain their former purpose. More importantly, we have yet to discover the Halberd's true purpose in the Subspace Emissary? Has Meta Knight joined the Ancient Minister's army of Primids? Or has the Halberd been highjacked with Meta Knight left behind?

References:
http://www.youtube.com
http://www.archive.org/details/KirbySuperStar_MetaKnight_1427

AMAZING! Great job naisatoh! I've been reading for a while now and I have too say that this thread is Amazing! Great job. :cool:

The SSBB History Lesson (see first post) ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
naisatoh
Today 10:48 PM
by Fire Flower
68 posts 853 VEIWS

Last edited:
Dude.. I never noticed that I was in your signature! I'm honored.. :lol:

And for all you guys who are reading my posts, let me know what you think! Feedback, people.. feedback!

Last edited:
I apologize for the lack of updates these past few days.. I will be adding some more articles soon!

Last edited:
Today's update took me a little longer to complete than usual. Since the inspiration behind this stage was based on a Gamecube game, it was difficult for me to find relevant screen shots that fit the article. So I apologize in advance for the terrible quality of some of the photos. Not to mention, since I have never actually played Jungle Beat, I had a hard time figuring out where to look and what exactly I was looking for. With that said.. enjoy!

--Rumble Falls

Rumble1.jpg

As previously mentioned in Sakurai's official update, Rumble Falls is based on the look and feel of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, originally released for the Gamecube on December 16, 2004. As you may already know, Jungle Beat is a unique kind of platformer where the player uses a set of drums (called the DK Bongos) to control Donkey Kong's movement and actions. What sets it apart from other platformers is the emphasis on combos and style points which challenge the player to make full use of their DK Bongos as well as their sense of rhythm.

DKJungleBeat.jpg

Rumble Falls is a vertically scrolling stage that plays similarly to Melee's Icicle Mountain. The stage as a whole is divided into three parts, each with its own set of obstacles and interactive design. Separately, these parts are based on individual stages from Jungle Beat, although the third part has yet to be fully revealed.

RumbleFalls2.jpg
Rumble2.jpg

As the stage's title suggests, the first part of Rumble Falls is based on Jungle Beat's stage with the same name. In this stage, Donkey Kong must make his way up a series of waterfalls in order to reach the giant pineapple located at the top of the falls. To facilitate his climb, DK can use the bridges as trampolines that can launch him into different parts of the stage. Whether or not the bridges in Brawl will have the same effect has yet to be determined.

SkyGarden2.jpg
Rumble3.jpg

The second part of Rumble Falls begins at the top of the waterfall and continues moving up. At this point, the scenery changes into Jungle Beat's Sky Garden. Here, we can see giant vines reaching into the sky and holding up fragments of buildings and large chunks of land. It is still unclear from the picture how players will be climbing while the stage continues to scroll upwards. Some have speculated that the yellow airplane may play a part in this.

Sweet%20Paradise.jpg
Asteroid%20Belt.jpg

The third part of Rumble Falls has yet to be revealed, but we can still discuss the possibilities. Since we know the next part is even higher than the Sky Garden, we can look at a couple stages that take place in a similar setting. The Sweet Paradise (above left) takes place among the clouds and consists of ropes and large gelatinous blobs for DK to maneuver through. Meanwhile, the Asteroid Belt (above right) takes place in outer space as DK travels through a host of different rocky formations. It is entirely possible that both stages will make in appearance in Brawl, but we will just have to wait and see.

DK1.png
MvDK1.png

The final portion of this article looks at some of the elements that originate from earlier games in Donkey Kong's history. The first of these elements is the use of ladders to climb from one platform to the next. As many of us already know, ladders played an important role in the original Donkey Kong released by Nintendo in 1981. Here, Mario (then known as Jumpman) had to use the ladders to climb to the top of the level in order to defeat DK and rescue the damsel in distress.

DK2.png

The use of buttons made its debut in the loose sequel to the original Donkey Kong. Mario vs. Donkey Kong was released for the Game Boy Advance on May 24, 2004. In this game, Mario has to travel through a series of mazes to reclaim the stolen robotic "mini-Marios." This game introduced the concept of buttons that switched different platforms on and off. The purpose of these switches in Brawl are still unknown. But the clear absence of ladders in the first picture leads us to believe that the buttons may toggle the appearance of ladders throughout the stage.

MvDK2.png
MvDK3.png

References:
http://www.ign.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com
http://www.youtube.com

Last edited:
Very nice, although I'd have to say there are more than 3 parts to the stage: look at the first screen you posted. Notice that it starts about halfway up the waterfall whereas multiple pics show the stage at ground level.

S.S. said:
Very nice, although I'd have to say there are more than 3 parts to the stage: look at the first screen you posted. Notice that it starts about halfway up the waterfall whereas multiple pics show the stage at ground level.

I definitely understand where you're coming from.. but I feel that anything that has the waterfall in the background comes from the Rumble Falls in Jungle Beat. Therefore, I would still classify the ground level in the same category as the area half way up the waterfall.

Last edited:
Back