User Reviews Section

Alright sounds good i0n.
I figured we would have to write and submit to a mod etc. then have them post it up if it was good.

Can't wait for this though, thanks again.

hey i0n this is a bit off topic but i'm wondering what will happen to the wii news section, the user reviews could be a part of the news section, maybe each game could have a profile, like gamespot? i kinda miss the news section, its how i found this place.

Just wanna brainstorm a few things for the game reviews section.

What kind of rating system?
What format should the reviews take?

Let me know what you think and i'll integrate the most popular ideas

Wii-Fi said:
hey i0n this is a bit off topic but i'm wondering what will happen to the wii news section, the user reviews could be a part of the news section, maybe each game could have a profile, like gamespot? i kinda miss the news section, its how i found this place.

Yea it's a possibility, im not sure how many people come here for daily wii news though, the other megasites like ign, gamespot etc will alays beat us :)

A user submitted news section could be an option in the future though i guess.

I am not saying mine are good ones to follow as, but just take a look.
The way I did mine is the way I feel comfortable, and find easier, but I am open to using whatever rating system is suggested.

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-gaming/37080-metroid-prime-3-review.html

Actually, I didn't rate anything really, but can do so in the future.

I also wrote some news pieces that you could take a look at, so a user submitted news thing sounds like a good idea.

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/36706-wii-what-difference-year-makes.html

I generally like the way IGN structure their user reviews:

"Along with our impressions of each game, we break each game down into five scored categories for your convenience:

Presentation
This category includes everything from the quality of the manual and packaging to the menu layout and game options. We also consider the overall production, licenses, and style of the game here.

Graphics
How the game looks as well as technical issues like animation quality, texture design, and framerate.

Sound
This category rates the quality of the sound effects and voice acting as well as the music in the game.

Gameplay
In a nutshell, how fun and satisfying the game is to play. Usually considered the most important part of any title, this category encompasses the controls, design, and overall feel of the game.

Lasting Appeal
This rates how much time you're likely to spend with the game before you get tired of it. This rating also reflects the depth of the game and options such as multiplay and mini-games that keep you going after you finish the single-player experience.

All of the categories are rated on a ten-point scale, which breaks down as follows:

Virtually flawless. No game is absolutely perfect, but 10s represent the pinnacle of gaming brilliance. It doesn't get any better than this. This is like winning the lottery on your birthday. It takes a rare and special game to earn a perfect 10 from IGN.

9.0 to 9.9
A fantastic achievement with only minor flaws or imperfections. If a game scores a 9.0 or better you know it's a great title with just enough imperfections to let you know they're for real. Games of this caliber are must-haves, even if you're not particularly fond of the genre.

8.0 to 8.9

An excellent gaming experience that misses the boat in just a few key areas. Games that score in this range still come highly recommended by IGN.

7.0 to 7.9
A good game that has some obvious flaws. Games scoring in the high end of this range might have some first-rate elements, whereas the lower 7s have some serious shortcomings that keep them from ever achieving classic status.

6.0 to 6.9
Passable, but just barely. Games in this range have more blemishes than strengths, but still might be worth a look if you're into games of its type. The other games are polite to the sixes, but they don't get invited to any of the parties. Rent this game or download the demo first before spending your hard-earned money.

5.0 to 5.9
Games scoring between a 5.0 and 5.9 have numerous major shortcomings. It's a cliche -- but we have to say it: only fans of the particular genre will get any enjoyment out of this one. You might get some enjoyment out of this as a rental, but you probably wouldn't want to own any game that scores in the 5s.

4.0 to 4.9
Any game that scores in or below this range isn't worth your attention, and if you happen to end up with one, you'll probably find yourself returning to the store for a refund. These are the games your grandmother buys for you because she thinks they're cute. Trust us, they aren't.

3.0 to 3.9
When you get to the terrible threes you know you have some major suckage going on. If your parents give you a 3 game for your birthday, suggest they start getting you socks instead.

2.0 to 2.9
Games of this caliber aren't even good enough to recycle. It's more fun to play catch with the box than it is to play the game. Maybe the cat could find some use for this one.

1.0 to 1.9
The absolute worst of the worst. Put it in a paper bag, set it aflame on your neighbor's porch, ring the doorbell, and run like hell. Just as it's rare to see a 10 on IGN, it's just as unusual to see a game score in the 1.0 to 1.9 range.

0.0 to 0.9
Okay, so we lied. 1.0 to 1.9 isn't "the absolute worst of the worst." However, we don't even consider titles that score below a 1.0 games. Think of them as sewage in a box. This range is saved for those titles that are just so incredibly bad that we question the sanity of the developer and publisher...and don't say it can't happen.

After the above 5 categories have been rated an overall rating is given, it's important to remember that the overall rating is not an average of the other five ratings. The overall score is left to the judgment of the reviewer. We believe this gives you a better sense of the reviewer's overall experience with the game rather than using some cut-and-dry formula to determine the final rating."

Here's an example of a Mario Party user review: http://rr.wii.ign.com/rrview/wii/mario_party_8/853824/65164/

Last edited:
Those are good rating categories, but i think since this is about the wii, it should be more specific. Categories like Graphics, Gameplay, Sound and Replay value would be good, but how including grades for use of the Wiimotes controls and grading the online system as categories as well.

Wii-Fi said:
Those are good rating categories, but i think since this is about the wii, it should be more specific. Categories like Graphics, Gameplay, Sound and Replay value would be good, but how including grades for use of the Wiimotes controls and grading the online system as categories as well.

Generally use of the Wii controls comes under Gameplay and added online features add to the Lasting Appeal score. However it may be easier if "Controls" and "Online Features" are added categories.

thanks for the suggestions so far. The layout is almost there. So once we decide on a clear structure for the reviews we'll be all set.

Edit:

Also we need to decide on whether to have multiple game reviews by different members. Or to have one 'master' game review and give everyone the option to reply to it with their own review and rating?

i0n said:
Also we need to decide on whether to have multiple game reviews by different members. Or to have one 'master' game review and give everyone the option to reply to it with their own review and rating?

I think multiple game reviews by different members is the way to go. Provides the most variety in terms of getting different views about a game.

This is a sample of the structure i took in my wii game reviews section.

Wii Sports

As a free game and the first i played it introduced me to the controls (even though they are very simple) and i must say i enjoyed it for five minutes. then i got bored and played my other games.
This doesnt mean its bad no by no means. I go back to playing it every now and then and it allways seems to be the most popular with new arrivals to the wii and some of my friends. there is quite a bit to do.

Firstly the 5 sports, (in order of my fave to worst.)

Tennis, is very good simple and possible the easiest of the sports.
Bowling, Can take a while to master but is very fun and competitive
Golf, Many will find controls on this hard to learn and very hard to master
Baseball, is more on the hard side and can get frustratingly hard.
Boxing, Not my cup of tea and can seem slightly unresponsive.

Then you get the wii training. which are. 3 mini games based on each of the 5 sports (15 in total) which train you for the main game.

and finally the wii fitness were a random 3 of the training are given to you to do the best you can, The better you are the younger you fitness age.
20 being the best i find it fairly easy to get making it a bit easy.

The game in general is very good can get old but its very easy to pick up and play and will last a long time and is very good in multiplayer.

Story........... 0/10 (there is no story)
Game play..... 8/10 (thanks to boxing being slighlty unresponsive at times)
Graphics........ 7/10 (great for wii's capabilities But slightly cartoonish)
Sound........... 8/10 (Good and clear repetitive sound track though)
Play length..... 5/10 (its non completeable no goals)
Replayability... 7/10 (good for picking up every now and then)
Multiplayer..... 9/10 (very fun)

Total 44/70

C

A=60+<-------------->havent played wii until u played this
B=50-59<------------>brilliant game must own
C=40-49<------------>good game i suggest you buy
D=30-39<------------>good game try it see if you like it.
E=20-29<------------>playable but not great, try something else
F=10-19<------------>not worth it unless ure a diehard fan
G=9- or under<------->buy at your own risk- will scar your wii for life

obviously the actual review part would be a lot more in depth.

the Gameplay rating would cover controls and how fun it is to play
everything else is simple

im not saying this should be used just that its a possibility

(link to my reviews thread is in my signature

i0n said:
thanks for the suggestions so far. The layout is almost there. So once we decide on a clear structure for the reviews we'll be all set.

Edit:

Multiple reviews but reviews of different games of course.
Or perhaps making a review team is also an idea.
Find people who like to make solid reviews and allow them to be posted.
People can then get some ideas as to what they should play.

people like different things so multiple reviews would be the best, there should be a rep for reviews though. Like on Gamefaqs, i at thier reviews and other games they reviewed to see what their perspective is like. IDK something like that.

daviduk200 said:
Story........... 0/10 (there is no story)
Game play..... 8/10 (thanks to boxing being slighlty unresponsive at times)
Graphics........ 7/10 (great for wii's capabilities But slightly cartoonish)
Sound........... 8/10 (Good and clear repetitive sound track though)
Play length..... 5/10 (its non completeable no goals)
Replayability... 7/10 (good for picking up every now and then)
Multiplayer..... 9/10 (very fun)

Total 44/70

The only problem I find with your review style is that games like Zelda get a 0/10 for multiplayer and hence their score is reduced by a fair margin. Why don't you score each category seperately but have an "overall" score that somes up your experience with the game.

Back