Warnings

rivit made a good point, it depends on the offense. if its a harassing firestarter n00b its probably a dupe account so i IP search and usually im 99.9% right.

if the person does something small such as double post, not using official threads, lack of search, ect its a bad warning if its REPEATED. one or 2 times is ok we all do it and i do it too.

if the person doesnt learn a single damn thing and keeps doing it, a no posting ban is issued and then we're back onto where i was talking about initially

Chewitt said:
....a quick PM to the user in question and it can be sorted without having to slap a ban on someone.
last resort.
as i said most mods will PM a member that they think are genuinely oblivious before banning them, but to be completely honest i think a ban is fine, one of the rules that we are aloowed to post here is that we read the rules and comply to them BEFORE we make our first post, anyone who obviously didnt read the rules before they posted should be banned IMO i0n has made it clear during the sign up and with a sticky at the top of every page theres no reason anyone should pull the 'oh i dont know the rules' line

Almo said:
as i said most mods will PM a member that they think are genuinely oblivious before banning them, but to be completely honest i think a ban is fine, one of the rules that we are aloowed to post here is that we read the rules and comply to them BEFORE we make our first post, anyone who obviously didnt read the rules before they posted should be banned IMO i0n has made it clear during the sign up and with a sticky at the top of every page theres no reason anyone should pull the 'oh i dont know the rules' line

finally! someone agrees with me!:yikes:

I too believe that there is no excuse for not knowing the rules. If you just immediately clicked the " I agree" box and hit submit when you signed up then too bad. Just go to site feedback and read the rules!! There is no reason for a member not to know the rules.

stranger and almo- when i ban a n00b with a no post ban, i always write something like this

"you have X amount of days to read the FAQs before posting here again"

The_Loose_Cannon said:
stranger and almo- when i ban a n00b with a no post ban, i always write something like this

"you have X amount of days to read the FAQs before posting here again"
yes because you are a kind and merciful god.....:lol:

If we all obeyed all of the rules to the "letter", then this place would be a lot more boring...

And I agree that a warning would be the most appropriate action to take in a first instance. I mean come on people we're not commiting any crimes here?!
:shifty:
or are we???

Stranger said:
I too believe that there is no excuse for not knowing the rules. If you just immediately clicked the " I agree" box and hit submit when you signed up then too bad. Just go to site feedback and read the rules!! There is no reason for a member not to know the rules.

Exactly! Ignorance of the law does not entitle immunity from the law (just like in real life!)

If you don't realise why you've been banned, then you deserve never to be re-instated.

Everybody makes mistakes, as long as you learn from them. If we didn't make mistakes we'd still be inventing the wheel.

I think the current rules are ok, as with the Chach thingy, being relatively new to this forum, I was unawares he was a repeat offender (but then there is no way I would have known that either). So even though I still think the final straw that banned him was unfair, If that was the 15th piece of straw, then clearly you have to draw the line somewhere. :yesnod:

Just an observation mind:
Some people do have banned written under their names, when clearly they're not, as they are posting, that might lead to some confusion to some readers about how the actual rules fit.

Back