What gaming franchise do you think should die?

Tails McCloud~ said:
Well, I was watching G4s 2007 game of the year special (Congradulations Bioshock) and came up with the idea of a thread with the intent to express ones desire to see a series(s)/franchise(s) die, (or bow out for lack of a better term).
Simply post the name of a series(s) thaf you think deserves to be discontinued and preferably give a reason as to why you think so.

I'll start

Sonic the Hedgehog - This franchise started as a gloryous monument to platform gaming, rivaling the immortal Mario, and has been around for 16 years, a very long time to be the fastest thing alive.
Sonic's success propelled SEGA into gaming hystory almost instantly with memorable music, catchy gaming, and flawless controlls. Sonic hit the preverbial speedbump when he was introduced to 3D gaming. 2D side-scrolling action is what made Sonic so much fun, but supersonic speed plus platforming in a 3D invironment does not make a very impressive combo.
With the addition of several new charecters, remedial voicovers, and sketchy storylines, Sonic's fame was saverely cut. Most Sonic titles nowadays are poorly made and have very crappy controlls (Secret Rings, Sonic (360/PS3) and with years of semi-failure behind, there seems to be a preverbial "nail in the coffin" in the near future.
Not all of SEGA's speedy blue endeavors have been completely ass. The Sonic Rush/Advance series has been a great success and shows where Sonic's true glory lies, in high speed 2D platforming. Nintendo as of late has been recovering much of the broken blue blur with his addition to the popular Super Smash Brothers: Brawl and the co-operative collection of olympic mini-games that is Sonic and Mario at ths Olympic Games, but not much hope is seen for 'ol true blue in the future. There has been a lot of hype over the upcoming Sonic Riders 2 (Zero Gravity) and this mysterious Sonic RPG project, which shows a glimmer of hope for the series however.
I personnaly grew up on Sonic. It was my first game, and to this day is my favorite series, but I hate to see all of this mediocrity in such an iconic figure. In my opinion, the Sonic the Hedgehog series should gracefully, bow out.

Lets here some of you'rs.

It's a shame really, I grew up on Sonic too (the original was the first game I ever played), but Sonic just doesn't translate into 3D well. However, I think the 2D games on the handhelds should continue.

FRuMMaGe said:
When will we see a Waluigi franchise!?!

If I won the lottery there would be some SERIOUS changes to the gaming world. Purple changes :lol:

Now there's a franchise that should die before it starts. :lol:

Spyro & Crash - Seriously the original devs left them at a certain point and the rest suck.

Crash...man, in his early days he was amazing..now he is just a giant meh smear on the jacket that is the industry?

Cpt.McCloud said:
Crash...man, in his early days he was amazing..now he is just a giant meh smear on the jacket that is the industry?
I could say the same thing about Spyro.

current dk games, i just want to kill some kremlings, not hit a bongo drum all day, dk's in a racing game(mario kart), and diddy kong has his own racing game, bongo blast shouldn't have been made....unless they're moving on to rare-style games, i think they should just keep dk in mario spin-offs and ssb

Tails McCloud~ said:
I could say the same thing about Spyro.

Agreed.

Spyro wasn't even worth mentioning.

Early Spyro was fun though. I recently played through "Year of the Dragon" and enjoyed it.

mushroomedmario said:
current dk games, i just want to kill some kremlings, not hit a bongo drum all day, dk's in a racing game(mario kart), and diddy kong has his own racing game, bongo blast shouldn't have been made....unless they're moving on to rare-style games, i think they should just keep dk in mario spin-offs and ssb

Nooooooooo Bongos are so fun! So addictive!!

Crash is doing better than Spyro these days, but both are really dried out. :( Spyro I never wanted it to end this way! :sad: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :cryin: You were Sony's Zelda as Crash was Sony's Mario. :)

Last edited:
There was actually a recent GBA build of Spyro that must have come out around August or September that got 8's and 9's from a lot of reviewers.

So... it's got that goin' for it.

Really? I must have missed it. Do you have the title, nic7?

Doesnt look bad but it's a side scroller.
IMO sidescrollers and Spyro dont mix...

Thanks for the link, nic7

Speaking of sidescrollers, Oddworld is next on my list.
Oddworld: was a charming, sidescrolling puzzler with violence and difficilty. Most of this changed with Oddworld: Munch's Oddesy. (Priors were Oddworld: Abes Oddesy and Oddworld: Abes Exodus). Well, IMO Munch's game was quite lackluster, since it meant longtime favorite alian Abe was no longer the star.
The Strangers Wrath was a very successfull title but I see Oddworld going nowhere after it, no folowup. It's like saying "yeah it was cool but who cares"

Oddworld, please retire.

Monsteroids said:
Nooooooooo Bongos are so fun! So addictive!!

Crash is doing better than Spyro these days, but both are really dried out. :( Spyro I never wanted it to end this way! :sad: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :cryin: You were Sony's Zelda as Crash was Sony's Mario. :)
LOL...Sony having their own Spyro (Zelda) Crash (Mario) franchises is soo funny....Only different thing is, THEIR NOT First Party...their 2nd Party...LAME:ciappa:

Ontopic

I think Packman should give up too...its been getting bad reviews also

Last edited:
Did you see the G4 X-Play special? Pacman was the 2007 downloadable content winner.

Pac-Man in a nutshell, IMO, is more of an icon than Mario. That's like saying Apple Pie isnt american.

Back