What's up with People Wanting to do and be everything Japanese??

RPGMasterTurk91

Turkish RPG Master
Aug 2, 2006
Somewhere in New Jersey
I mean I understand that the Japanese have brought into existence many great things in the video game and anime realm, but I have met lots of people--admittedly mostly online--who want to do and be everything Japanese. Meeting an anime-freak type person in my school would be near impossible, or people would hide it because you would get called a "fag" or at least "gay".

Once I got to college (and people are from all sorts of places and in general open up more) I noticed more people who fit the same category--that is, excessive Japanese-loving people. These are the people who make claims like "I LOVE THE JAPANESE CULTURE, LANGUAGE, FOOD, PEOPLE...EVERYTHING!! The girls were mainly one's who dyed their hairs red or black and had somewhat emo (though not completely) features about them. The guys are more "normal" but still intense gamers and anime watchers.

While I have no problem with most of these type of people, I just don't get and didn't know until recently that there are these types of people in MASSES. I go to web sites like NarutoFan once in a while only to find that hundreds of other animes exist, and that millions of people love and watch them.

But whatever--let that be, my question is: what's the deal with these people (I'm sure there are a lot on this forum, too). It kind of annoys me when people are absolutely obsessed with the Japanese culture, language and people (I have nothing against the Japanese at all, this is not my question),and want to visit Japan as their life dream. Those people know EXACTLY who they are upon reading my passage =)

Last edited:
私は知らない。

but its nice for me to be into things years before others for a change. (on the anime side of things)
Most that want to live in Japan tend to think it will end up like most them high school animes.
But it wont be as by the time they are old enough to go there on there own they wont be in school

私は知らない。

but its nice for me to be into things years before others for a change. (on the anime side of things)
Most that want to live in Japan tend to think it will end up like most them high school animes.
But it wont be as by the time they are old enough to go there on there own they wont be in school

haha you're probably right...the whole "sexy school girl" outfit and overall theme in animes in general have been overplayed, in my opinion. Honestly, I don't watch Anime much AT ALL. I've watched others watch them and watched one or two episodes of a dozen or so; a lot of the comedy-based humor is about being random, the serious based one's always have men in suits. There is ALWAYS a smart guy with glasses...tell me I'm wrong =P

The recurring theme seems to really bring in the cash...either that, or people are willing to accept anything these days, lol.

Last edited:
i want to learn the Japanese laguage, simply so i can understand what they're saying in animes and i won't have to watch the subbed episodes.
and maybe play a few 'only Japan' games.

other then that i don't see any reason to bother with Japan. my only interest in that country is games and anime. if they somehow stop then i'll probably forget the country even existed.

i want to learn the Japanese laguage, simply so i can understand what they're saying in animes and i won't have to watch the subbed episodes.
and maybe play a few 'only Japan' games.

other then that i don't see any reason to bother with Japan. my only interest in that country is games and anime. if they somehow stop then i'll probably forget the country even existed.

They patch Japan only games to be tranlasted.

They patch Japan only games to be tranlasted.

Not always the case.
Policenorghts only recently got a translation and that was a fan one.(still not played it)
There are also loads of RPGs that will never come out "over ere"
Shining Force 3 parts 2 and 3 are one example.
Weaboos are a cancer that I myself rage at.
/b/tard

Aha!

I guess I just like a lot of the shows and games. The Japanese live action department is horrid(Hong-Kong action flicks FTW), but the animation is just something that always comes up relevant to my interests. The animes are usually nothing new, but some really strike a chord in me. Serial Experiments Lain had me thinking about it for days. I don't feel validated by any work of Fiction. I feel validated by whatever I learn from it. Even if all I learned was that ponytails are sexy. I still have my own impression so I'm still alright, or something.

Also, the history and mythology is fun to read about when I'm on a wiki-binge. That and WW2. Also read about terrorists groups in Japan.

The games? JRPG formula is pretty fun. After playing so many of them it's just become a habit to pick the latest one up. It's not like they're more expensive than any other game on the shelf. All games are pretty unoriginal these days.
As for import? Japanese games are the ones I almost always pirate. There I said it! :O
My wallet is my best buddy and the import price is usually obscenely high. Sometimes I get whatever the local hobby shop can get their mitts on.

I often get chewed out for not wanting to actively learn the language and go live there. I'm told that I'm not respecting the culture. I honestly do NOT care though. Moving to Japan would be financial and social suicide. Learning Japanese intensively would be a wasted skill in this case. Python is far more interesting. *shot*
I respect the culture by keeping to myself and not floundering about in a Xenophobic economy that requires you to be alert all the freaking time.

The music? Heh, well it's catchy. Just like the overpriced dogshit that plays on American radios. So long as you're aware that's it's carries no value beyond the superficial barrier then enjoy it all you like. By all means don't buy it though! I also has some Korean pop as well. Again, lyrics amount to dogshit, but the synth is addictive.

Last edited:
i dun need to pretend
i am japanese

though i wonder, everytime i do something from the american culture, do i lose something from my japanese culture?

Honestly, I have never had any Japanese classmates before, the only Japanese people I have seen in real life was at a Japanese Restaurant. I'm sure people are worshiping you without you even knowing it, just because you are Japanese hahaha.

You moving away from your Japanese culture by moving closer to the American culture, but while this is true, it doesn't change the "blood" you have in you--Japanese "blood" lol.

Cause it's about the Japanese girls...Rawr Rawr. Lol

:lol: that may be a part of it :shifty::wink:

i'm not one of those people who do everything Japanese..or dress like them or any of that crap.. the food over there is great, apart from the sea urchin rogue` ( that doesnt taste the best) sukiyaki is one of the best foods to eat over there yum yum :tongue:

I'm not sure if I stated this already or made it blatant enough, but people who go overboard with their obsession for just everything "Japanese" annoys me to no end. Those people in general who aspire to be "everything Japanese" really need to get lives, no offense.

Back