Will Nintendo Succeed with virtual console

• Total voters

NintendoDude64

Wii mote user
May 18, 2006
Virtual Console

will nintendo wii succeed with the virtual console
or will it go the way of the dreamcast :cool:

The Virtual Console will clearly not 'go the way of the Dreamcast' since it is not an actual system. I do think it will succeed, but it needs a bit of work (or we need some more info.). Either way. :scared:

NintendoDude64 said:
will nintendo wii succeed with the virtual console
or will it go the way of the dreamcast :cool:

We're talking about old school gaming going back 20+ years. This will be a hit right off the bat. This may Nintendo's biggest cash flow, and this will be all profit so Nintendo can't lose in this area. The Virtual Console will the biggest reason why people who were undecided at first will buy the Wii.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Dramcast, I hope they include games from it on the Virtual Console. If they can do N64 games, I can't see why not Dreamcast.

Napalmbrain said:
Speaking of the Dramcast, I hope they include games from it on the Virtual Console. If they can do N64 games, I can't see why not Dreamcast.

Im havent really played Dreamcast but the more Virtual Console game options the better.

Last edited:
Will Nintendo 64 games really be on Virtual Console? If so, that'd be awesome... I'm looking forward to play all those oldschool SNES games again too.

I think that the N64 games won't translate well onto the Wiimote, nor DC if they import them.

Sleepy-uk said:
I think that the N64 games won't translate well onto the Wiimote, nor DC if they import them.

Actually, we won't be using the Wiimote to play the older, "classic" games. They have a classic controller coming out just for that.

However, I will have to agree that the N64 games will still not translate well to the new classic controller as it is totally different than the original N64 controller. For those of you who have not seen it, it is shaped very much like the old SNES controller, except with analog sticks.

Yes, you can reasign buttons on the new classic controller for the N64 games, but the feel just wouldn't be the same. It is shaped completely different. Again, I just don't think it will transfer well.

I think they should have a N64 "classic controller" or have it as a shell with the Wiimote.

Last edited:
i think that the WII will be a big hit but ps3 and xbobx 360 will be the winners in the end. but nintendo might and i hope will win when or if they do another window:cool:

The only thing that will stop the vconsole from being a success would be security and high prices, or some stupid system that only lets you play when online (that would kill it).

nintendo crab said:
is virtual console a site were you can downloade/buy nintendo 64 games... ??????:confused:

I'm not sure if it will be a site or some sort of software you access. But it will be done through your Wii console. You will not only be able to download N64 games, but also NES, SNES, Sega (Genesis), and Turbo-Grafx games as well.

Napalmbrain said:

Well one factor could be the size of the games... the N64 games were cartridge sized (with a maximum size of 32 mb if Im not mistaken), whereas the Dreamcast had 1gb sized discs!

It would be really interesting to experience Dreamcast games on the wii... but then again the memory announced (512) is not enough for even one game!

Think_Tank said:
Well one factor could be the size of the games... the N64 games were cartridge sized (with a maximum size of 32 mb if Im not mistaken), whereas the Dreamcast had 1gb sized discs!

It would be really interesting to experience Dreamcast games on the wii... but then again the memory announced (512) is not enough for even one game!

True, the discs had a lot of memory for the time, but most Dreamcast games didn't really take advantage of all that space. Besides, you can also use SD memory cards if you don't have room on the flash memory.

Napalmbrain said:
True, the discs had a lot of memory for the time, but most Dreamcast games didn't really take advantage of all that space. Besides, you can also use SD memory cards if you don't have room on the flash memory.

Indeed, most discs didnt take full advantage of the space... but still, 600 mb for example are more than enough!! Plus how many SD cards could one have around if he wants to have, say, 3-4 DC games?? Then theres also the issue of the speed of an SD card, the issue of dishing out doe for extra SD cards, the issue of how much it would take for such games to be downloaded (because of their size) etc. etc.

The only "hope" for such a possibility (which i would REALLY like to see on the wii) is a new method of compression so that game size could be decreased and therefore the above problems could be solved...

Back