Xbox 360 topples Wii's dominance for September

I'm only surprised that the 360 barely outsold the Wii even with Halo. Not really a good sign for Microsoft.

Stellar sales of Halo 3, which sold collectively to a whopping 3.3 million buyers, propelled Xbox 360 sales to 527,000 units for the month. Wii took second place with 501,000 units. DS sold through another 495,000 systems, PSP 284,000, PS2 215,000 and finally, PS3 a mere 119,000.

LAWL @ Sony.

Sovieto said:
wait till xmas, thats when most kiddies who dont own a 360 will get theirs along with halo 3.
and did you expect more console sales? 700,000 is more than half a million, thats a lot to me.

The man is right... That is one hell of a lot of consoles to shift.
Christmas (along with Assassins creed and Mass Effect out) should see even more 360s shifting.

I am actually surprised about this change in sales. I knew that Halo 3 would increase the number of Xbox 360s sold, but this comes as a shock to see that the Wii has been moved to second place after such a long time.
Oh well, there are still some great games waiting to be released on the Wii.

spenser101 said:
iIMO SSBB will sell faster then any game yet with still around 4 monthes left the pre orders can sky rocket to a good 500/600 pre orders , whitch means more people are going to buy wiis , any ways im thinking about camping out the night b4 they sell it . what do you think

What do you think mario galaxy will do :) I think thats going to sell as much or even more than ssbb ;)

Ontopic:

Just wait for the major wii titles to come out like some people said. Than the wii will sell again :p

cyberzomby said:
Just wait for the major wii titles to come out like some people said. Than the wii will sell again :p

The Wii is certainly still selling, it was close behind the 360 even with the release of Halo 3.

I remember a friend saying that there were 917 preorders at the gamestop he worked at for Halo 3. Its kinda sad to see that so little Halo 3 sold

sagema said:
Nintendo can't do massive production like Microsoft and Sony. They don't have any outside revenues, AKA Vista and Bravo. So it's not surprising that they will have production problems from now until next year.

The only "production problem" is that the demand for the Wii was unexpectedly high. Nintendo is manufacturing far more consoles than Microsoft or Sony.

And Nintendo has already increased production by an additional 2 million per year.

Well keep this in mind too, the Wii is still being shipped and sold on a limited supply - there are still tons of people out there who want Wii's but still can't find it. Imagine if there were enough Wii's to go around?

Also while Mario Galaxy will rack up some hefty sales, no doubt that SSBB will put out some serious numbers when it arrives....had they only been able to get out by Christmas...

im atually quite shcoked that the wii still managed to stay bumper to bumper with 360 in september, considering that the wii had to signature titles out, i actually belive that this would count as a victory for nintendo,........just imagine when signature titles do comeout like, bwii,mario galaxy, brawl, mario kart and such......wii sales will be through the roof and ps3 and 360 will be eating the wii's dust

ya minor for nintendo look at it wii is got the banging first q of 08 and a wicked last queter

with mario kart mario galaxy olimpics

wii will merk xbox with sales micrsoft can count this as a life accmlisment

You also have to take into account that most people who bought 360s before Halo 3, bought it specifically for Halo 3 in the first place. They are impressive numbers, but for a game that was hyped THAT much, I expected at least 1M 360s for September. The holiday season may add another half million 360s, but if you are a Halo fan, you would have the game from day one anyway.

Nice stats, and that was expected really.
At least from me, I was not shocked by this.

Wii's last game that many bought was Metroid.
But with Galaxy coming out as well as Battalion Wars 2, things for the Wii should start to look up.

Back