Your opinion of guns

Apollo said:
I think you are forgetting something, Australia is a FAR safer place than America, full stop.

1) Making a claim and then saying "full stop" does not make it true. If you have proof/stats to this effect, please show it to us.

2) As I said in the post immediately above this one: gun-control laws vary across the USA. There are states in the USA with gun-control as-restrictive if not more-restrictive as Australia. Those states have high-crime, which skews the country as a whole. There are states (such as mine) which have virtually no gun-control. Vermont is the 49th lowest-crime state in the USA per-capita. I don't doubt that looking back at the numbers and stats I've already posted will show that Vermont is safer than Australia.

You know what one of the highest-crime parts of the USA is? Washington DC. Guess who has some of the strictest gun-control in the USA? Washington DC. Guess who's in the news right now about this very issue? Washington DC.

This is an argument about gun laws and how they affect crime, not so much USA-vs-everyone-else, since USA gun laws are not uniform. If you want to analyze how gun laws affect crime-rates and public safety, you have to do in on the basis of a consistent application of those laws. Otherwise you are cherry-picking the data.

It'd be like looking at the European Union as a whole, versus the unique laws of the individual countries.

number one thing that is more dangerous than guns, macs. AndTHen? loves his own so probs thats why

sremick said:
"Vast majority"? Your government's own crime stats don't back that up. I quote:

'In 2005, 37% of all robberies were armed; in 2006 it was 44%."

Source: http://www.aic.gov.au/topics/violence/robbery/stats/

Not only is it not "vast", it's increasing and is almost half. If you have data that contradicts this, please show it to us.

That article said:
robberies involving a weapon

That doesn't mean they had a gun.

sremick said:
Gun control laws are not consistent across the USA. They are state-by-state. If you look at the USA as a whole, it skews the data because we have some high-crime, high-murder areas... that happen to coincide with gun-control states. Meanwhile, the states without strict gun-control have the least crime and least murders. The data I showed in earlier posts already showed this: gun-control = more murders and crime (on a per-capita basis).

If you want to go into the demographics of America that's fine, but I was talking about the COUNTRIES with ABSOLUTE (not just restrictive) gun control laws.

sremick said:
You seem to love making contradictory claims without any data or proof. I'm sorry, but your feeling/hunches/wishes aren't proof, and aren't truth. If you want to argue claims like that, you'll have to find some proof to back you up.

What? The fact is that your country has more murders than countries such as mine. The stats have been posted in this thread.

sremick said:
Your government (who probably spends more time collecting facts and statistics than you do) says otherwise. If you have a source to back up your claim, please show it.

I responded to this before.

sremick said:
Wow, that's rather convenient for you. I've seen some grade schoolers use the same tactic. It involves putting their fingers in their ears and saying "lalalalala I can't hear you".

Okay so I took it a bit far. I'm just saying, some of the sources are veeery ambiguous; for instance the one you posted about Adelaide.

sremick said:
What exactly is "ridiculous and unfounded" about the Australian Institute of Criminology of the Australian Government? But since we're supposed to believe you over them, I'm sure we're all interested in your credentials.

I wasn't talking about something you hadn't posted yet, I was talking about this. You can't back up the validity of that source.

sremick said:
Here's another group that follows the same philosophy:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/

Ouch.

Guns are good here is why

people like you have been sheltered by people like me. people like you do not understand what the world is like. yes it is because of me and my friends who carry guns and stand on foreign soil to fight for your right to be ignorant. first the basics we are looking at other countries with their laws. this is America with American laws like the 2nd amendment. if you like the other country go there we don’t need you here. I shoot guns for fun and work. on weekends I shoot with my friends. you do not understand why I would like to shot a gun I don’t understand why you would like to have your hair styled. to each their own. you do not know why I would hunt. remember the animals you eat are killed by a butcher. the animals I hunt I prep and I eat. some of you people could walk into a scary house with the hair on your neck not moving you have no self preservation instincts. You say you would rather run or use a knife killing is killing with a knife or gun you still kill. Ban guns from legal gun owners and let me ask you who has guns left? We try to push our views and with political correctness the world is going down fast. Soon they will outlaw color T.V. because we could offend color blind people. Sounds dumb well it is not a far reach. You don’t like guns so I should not have any. I am having a hard time trying to say what I think without having it sound bad but here we go lets use the scenario you mentioned. (just for argument sake I am not mad nor am I wanting to convey any threat to you) in a bad situation you would run away. I am in great shape and could catch you or with a gun I could shoot you at ranges of over ½ mile. So you can not get away. Lastly our country was founded with guns. Many of the wrongs righted by the civil war were because the winning team had guns and did not run away. If you have questions feel free to ask me. I carry a gun for a living.

Quick question
Have you ever gone to a foreign country?
If you like it better why did you not stay?

If you are looking for a toy look at the savage 93 series in .17HMR they are great little rifles with no recoil and are perfect for targets out to 230 yards. With the price of ammo the .17 is a great rifle and you can shoot the V-MAXX 17 grain polymer tipped bullet they practically explode upon reaching resistance like bone or other hard object and the .17 offers speed and consistency the .22LR fires at a whopping 1250FPSand the .17HRM fires at 2550FPS I use a horus optic on my savage and can hit eggs at 300 yards with trajectory adjustment.

I think we should turn this into a pro gun thread so go ahead and show off some of your guns

Attachments

• z.JPG
    z.JPG
    632.6 KB · Views: 3
Back