$400 PS3 coming?

Why is 80GB better?

The backward compatibility for the 80GB is done by software emulation, it will take a smart hacker a few month to clone it onto the 40GB version.

I agree with Tails. The 80gb has more going for it. A person once asked me if you would rather buy a console with everything for $1000 or a console with almost nothing for half the price. What would you choose? I prefer everything. If they offered the Wii at $125 with no flash drive, and no BC, I wouldn't buy it.

80GB only make sense if you store a lot of songs and videos on your PS3. For everyday game play and Blu-ray DVD watching, even 20GB is enough.

Now, Sony should make the PS3 part of their LocationFree strategy. Imagine a 250GB PS3 LocationFree media server.

dchao said:
Why is 80GB better?

The backward compatibility for the 80GB is done by software emulation, it will take a smart hacker a few month to clone it onto the 40GB version.
I'm not a smart hacker, thats why.

The playstation crowd has attracted a lot of very very very smart modders. Not hackers. The difference with the PS3 is that sony saw what the modders did to the PSP, making it an amazing piece of technology, and thus encourage homebrew and other such changes to the PS3.

The psp and ps3 use the same OS, only that the OS for the psp is the lite version.

Eventually modding will do wonders for the PS3. As for anyone trying to get one, look for the older version that does not rely solely on software emulation, in my opinion it is better though does generate slightly more heat.

The Hard Drive space really doesnt matter though because you can always hook up an external HD or add your own at any time. I spent 100 bucks and got a 300 gig in mine. The emulation is great for keeping your playstation library going.

sagema said:
The PS2 is the greatest selling console in history with over 110 million units sold worldwide. It's still outselling all current next gen consoles. I don't know about you guys, but my PS2 is dying. I don't like the idea of buying a new PS2 because the PS3 doesn't do BC. I'm going to hang around the stores and see how this 40gb PS3 fairs for X-mas.

I know it sounds cruel, but if Sony wants to sell more PS3's they need to cancel the PS2. Microsoft did that with the Xbox, when they launched the 360. If people can still buy the PS2, they will, in fact according to current sales they still are.

If they cancel the PS2 and keep the PS3 at overpriced tags, people then will buy Wii or 360. It is insane to pay $599 for a video game console. That is the error of Sony. No video game console should cost more than $350. Then you have to buy the games $60+ (PS3) per game.

PS2 is financing the great failure of sales of the PS3. It is the greatest console ever made technically, BUT if the price tag is too expensive, it will not sell as less expensive ones.

Look at the Wii phenomenom, the less powerful of the 3 main consoles, but it is the #1 selling today worldwide. Nintendo was smart, putting an attractive price tag, innovation and making games easy to play. It has been the marketing hit of the past year.

If Sony lowers the price of the PS3 to $400 or less then, the story might change. I will get a PS3 then. For now Wii is #1

highroller said:
No video game console should cost more than $350.

You are getting much more than a Video game console with the PS3. BLU-RAY!

Also, your statement is silly.

I definately think this will boost sonys sales. That extra $100 off i think will make a big difference.

The price drop is a smart move. If Microsoft and Nintendo remain at their price points for all of 2008, Sony will regain serious lost ground. However it's also a double edge. If Nintendo and Microsoft do price drops down to $150 it will effectively doom the PS3 for all of 2008.

Either way the winner is the gamer. We'll hopefully see all 3 game companies continue price drops to keep us with them.

The price drop won't have won any Nintendo and MS gamers over, even $400 is still a lot more expensive than Wii and XBox.

I think the 40GB version w/o BC is aimed for the AV market, removing the BC is a clever move, this differentiates the 40GB (as a BD player) from the 80GB version (as a multimedia gaming console).

Sony probably have a bigger success with PS3 as a BD player in the European market, hence launching the 40GB w/o BC there before the rest of the world.

Back