Actually changing the graphics on a Nintendo Wii

goldencalf said:
And how do you know they won't?
Because they don't want it to be possible to run custom code on their console because of piracy.

CantGetAWii said:
I don't think you can physically change ones colour in a game, unless the game itself has the setting to do so. If you want sharper picture, you can buy component cables for your TV and make the Wii's picture a tad crisper.
one;s colour? incorrect use of one's when speaking of video games.

Maybe you've misunderstood. I don't want to make e cracked/modded version of the game. I just want Nintendo/Ubisoft to (because of some awesome reason I really can't think of right now) help me change the cows color so that we can use the Wii console when we tour around the country to recruit people to participate in the competition. We would have some kind of stand with information about the competition and they would be able to try a Wii game which is, conveniently enough, a game with a golden calf. Just like the name of the competition.

Maybe the one who tosses the cow the longest wins tickets to the show or something..

This is the site we had for the 2007 competition. Check it out: http://www.gullkalven.no

You would have to mod the game somehow to change the color of the cow. I know it sounds like it should be something simple to do but it is very much not. Maybe you could find a PC game to mod? It would be a lot easier since you control a lot more of the environment running the game. Is this Rayman game on the PC? I know Ubisoft has made some PC games in the past.

Unless you can get a working debugger running on the Wii while its playing the game, you're not going to be able to change the cow's color without altering the data on the disc. And that opens up a big can of worms since you'll need a modded Wii to play a modified copy of a game. That security is probably your biggest hurdle but figuring out the data on the disc well enough to modify an object is easily a close second.

Ubisoft would be the people to talk to, not Nintendo. Good luck. Software development firms are generally made up of a staff working long hours to make tight deadlines. This is especially true for video game development. I just don't see them taking the time to set that up for you. But I guess you'll never know for sure until you ask.

goldencalf said:
And how do you know they won't?

:rolleyes:

Go ahead, knock yourself out. Let us know how that works out for you.

PS: Hey mods, this is the second time someone has deleted one of my posts. What's up with that?

FRuMMaGe said:
Ok then. But that is not what he is talking about.
i was gonna say if anyone could do this it would most certainly be frummage

FRuMMaGe said:
He is talking about hacking the actual rom.

As yet, there is no way to extract or import models or textures to/from Wii roms.

actually there is. that is how people are piriting the wii games. also roms are only for the handhelds. the so called roms on the consoles are called ISO.

i dont believe editing a game like that is legal.

thas said:
actually there is. that is how people are piriting the wii games. also roms are only for the handhelds. the so called roms on the consoles are called ISO.

i dont believe editing a game like that is legal.
There is a difference between ripping the ISO from the disc and actually editing it.

There is currently no way to extract models from the ISO's

thas said:
also roms are only for the handhelds. the so called roms on the consoles are called ISO
Incorrect. ISO stands for "International Organization for Standardization". There are all sorts of ISO standards, such as ISO 9000 for quality-management, and for CDs there's ISO 9660. The reason CD images have the *.iso extension is simply identifying the fact that the image is in that format.

"ROM" stands for "read-only memory", which applies to all sorts of medium. Whether you're talking EPROMs or CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, they're all "read-only". And the read-only status is what was key with the point I was trying to make.

What if I manage to change the color of the cow and then ask ubisoft if they can make me a disc that works.. Is that much work for them? Is it hard? Does it take long time? Does it take a lot of different people maybe?

goldencalf said:
What if I manage to change the color of the cow and then ask ubisoft if they can make me a disc that works.. Is that much work for them? Is it hard? Does it take long time? Does it take a lot of different people maybe?
Trust me, they will have absolutely no interest whatsoever in helping you to run customized games.

Email them and check, but I guarantee you that they will refuse.

FRuMMaGe said:
Trust me, they will have absolutely no interest whatsoever in helping you to run customized games.

Email them and check, but I guarantee you that they will refuse.

That's not what I asked. I asked if it would be much work for them? If they would use many days/hours to make the disc? Do they have to make a whole new code or something? I'm not sure how this works..

Back