Advice - using Wii as media player

I didn't know that ipods are able to use hard drives or are you just trying to be funny ?
I already have a phone that takes 16GB cards and can connect to a TV via SCART and plays games but it is no good as I would need to spend ages converting and would need even more SD cards.

Nar hes just trying to up his post count
In reality he knows not what hes talking about

One thing I will say to you about the Wii is google "Wii homebrew" there's a few apps that will be handy if your looking to turn it more into a media player, but we cant talk about them on this forum (legality issues)

Well if you want to watch videos and listen to music. iPods are portably. Just connect your hard drive to a computer then put your media on your iPod hey presto.

A Wii is for games not much else. :L Hense 'Games Console'
Why you get a wii anyway? I know you can play games

Last edited:
Well if you want to watch videos and listen to music. iPods are portably. Just connect your hard drive to a computer then put your media on your iPod hey presto.

A Wii is for games not much else. :L Hense 'Games Console'
Why you get a wii anyway? I know you can play games

Bloody hell!
A post from you with more than one sentence.

iPods are rubbish as a media player as you need to encode the videos so they work on it and that takes time.
The screen is a bit small as well anything with subtitles would be a nightmare to watch (personal experience as when I was on some lame excuse for a course last year I put some episodes of Gintama on my K800i and I could just make out what the subs where saying).
At least with something like this you have a easyer to see screen.

I wasnt meant to say I know you cAn play games. i was gonna right an essay ut couldnt be arsed.

An iPod Touch?

But TBH i wouldnt mind some videos on my Wii.

This will be my last post to this thread.
Anyone who thinks they can use an ipod as a media player is mad. The resolution of the files is so poor when shown on a full screen TV as it has to be drastically reduced to be saved on an ipod. Sure you can store stuff as a file without reducing but it then can't be played. I have all these facilities on my nokia and have had on previous Nokias. I now have a Wii that plays games , videos and music from my hard drive albeit only 500GB at the moment. If I want anything stupid like watching video on a small screen I can use my 5800 but I ant a media player.
The Wii can play video and audio across my network using a wireless lan or wired lan as well as using the attached hard drive. Performance is good across wireless although maybe HD wouldn't be , but then I have an upscaling TV so happy with it.
So, fortunately since my original post, I have resolved all the issues of a combined games machine and media player. I wanted the wii due to wiimote and nunchuck otherwise I would have bout a nettop (ASROCK 330 ION)
I hope other will realise the capabilited of the wii. I also have 3 other media players with inbuilt hard drives and thy are now being kept in a cupboard and only use as USB drives (as they work that way).

Shame some people can't be bother to spend a few minutes explaining what they mean from what appears to be childish flippant remarks.

Cheers and good luck to other who want to maximise use of the wii (yes I know xbox 360 will do the same but I wanted the balance board etc. - a skier and boarder here!)

Back