Any news on a hardrive for the wii yet?

T3kNi9e said:
The Wii costs $250, it was meant for gaming not for multimedia. VC games are really small, you could fit alot of games in just a 1GB SD Card. I think the internal harddrive is like 512 Megs, which is more than enough for saved games.

A lot of people buy huge amounts of VC games and that is beginning to add up, and with Wiiware coming there is no question we need a hard drive. (Plus you can't play VC games of an SD card)

Last edited:
nic7 said:
A lot of people buy huge amounts of VC games and that is beginning to add up, and with Wiiware coming there is no question we need a hard drive. (Plus you can't put VC games on an SD card)

isn't that the WHOLE POINT of the sd card slot, to put vc games on, incase you run out of menu space or memory?

I was under the impression that SD Cards were meant for the games and photos. Whenever I see people buying the Wii they're telling them that they're gonna need SD Card if they plan on downloading VC games. But since I never tried myself I dont know for sure, but it would be kind of retarted if you cant...

wii_fanatic said:
if they do make a hard drive (or a headset) its gonna suck because everybody is gonna want one and they will be just as hard to find as a wii.

just because people are going to buy them does not mean they are going to suck...

Also, these items would not take the time or the money to produce like a wii so there would be a much higher possibility of finding one...

Another thing i dont know how many of you pay attention to pretty much all the news coming out of nintendo but SSBB is going to have a huge amount of downloadable content from both nintendo and other users i see my already filled to the max internal memory crying because of this. Also Animal Crossing is going to be an MMO so right there means its going to take up alot of space for a save file and there will have to be downloadable content. SD cards are a very inconvient thing to keep up with and not very big i would love to hook up a 500 gig MyBook to the back of my wii to know that i will never have to delete another file. But alas, this will probably not happen but the least they could do is sell us a Hard drive of atleast 20 gigs that would be enough for a while.

At the current rate of VC games coming out filling a 20 gig hard drive with just those would take less that 2 to 3 years and i pray to god the wii lasts longer than that and we all know it will.

VC's will never take up a 20gig hd. Are you insane? Even N64 games arent even 100 megs. You would be able to fit hundreds if not thousands. Even on my xbox 20 gigs is more than enough and they have alot of downloadable content and expansions that take up a whole gig. VC/Arcade games are very small. Most if not all are less than 50 mb.

Wii needs to improve online and 3rd party. THEN work on a external HD.

how many VC games do you own or rather want to own... I own 25 and they dont all fit on my wii. There are probably another 50 i want and many more to come. Not to mention the fact that WiiWare games are coming out soon and who knows how big those will be. Now after saying that VC games are not the only things that take up space... Nintendo cant really fix online gaming until they give us away to store all the information that awesome online gaming will take... Lets face it 512 MB is not enough... Also Nintendo doesnt control third party games the companies that make these games control them. Its sad that all the third party companies are focusing on HD gaming... Until the Wii is not associated with PS2 we are going to be getting mostly crap third party games. I mean look at the new ghostbusters game we are not even going to get the real one we are getting the "crappy lets put in on the PS2 because some people are poor game." This is not to say that we are not getting some good third party games they are just few and far between.

If you have 25 and its full and want like 50 more, than all you need is a 2 GB SD card. With WiiWare, I duno how big the files will be, but we'll see. There's 4 GB SD cards, so Nintendo could make them for Wii.

T3kNi9e said:
If you have 25 and its full and want like 50 more, than all you need is a 2 GB SD card. With WiiWare, I duno how big the files will be, but we'll see. There's 4 GB SD cards, so Nintendo could make them for Wii.

well im not a total fan boy but i love owning the games i played growing up and the VC has an endless potential of downloads...

and i feel like you guys keep forgetting the fact that games are going to start having downloadable content

i know this is pretty much the same thing i have said in everyone of my posts, i just really see the need for an external hard drive but maybe i am the only one that feels that way haha.

Hmmm, downloadable content could take up space, depending on how big the content is and how many games release content. Seeing as the Wii doesnt have an external HD, games wont release much content or atleast nothing big. Atleast I think so, because then what would be the point?

I duno w/e well see in the future. But i still say I rathe they work on headsets and 3rd party games.

And thats a bloody shame! Downloadable content is a thing of the "future" and its a nice addition to a game.

There has been word of I believe activision working on a big game with its own external hard disk. Its only a rumor though. Popped up on wiichat a week or 2 ago.

That would be really awesome if that rumor became true. I really see the need for an external hard drive. I know for fact that SSBB is going to have downloadable content because its stated in a dojo update. The content will be supplied by both nintendo and other players. I also have a feeling is not going to be small files because he says that you are probably going to want to make space. Also the MMO Animal Crossing will be coming out in the future and i can only assume that it will have downloadable content, but i think its a good assumption.

I dont really care to much about a head set that much... Unless you are playing with your friends then the people that use those things are idiots most of the time and are not worth talking to or even hearing.

Third party games are coming just give it until fall. Publishers decide where the third party games go, and publishers fallow the money. Everyone thought the wii was going to be a big flop and we all know that turned out differently. So since nintendo has been making alot of money the last year publishers are going to start running to the nintendo camp so they can make that money too.

They should start by adding a better support for SD cards. I would be okay if no external HD came, but the Wii needs to use the SD card like an extension of the internal flash. It's more than possible to get 10GB of SD cards for $100 right now and I don't see myself ever needing more than that. From my experiences with external HDD's is they are really expensive compared to the actual storage size.

Everyone wants an external HDD, but I would prefer that Nintendo allows the use of SD cards like a HDD.

Belmont said:
That would be really awesome if that rumor became true. I really see the need for an external hard drive. I know for fact that SSBB is going to have downloadable content because its stated in a dojo update. The content will be supplied by both nintendo and other players. I also have a feeling is not going to be small files because he says that you are probably going to want to make space. Also the MMO Animal Crossing will be coming out in the future and i can only assume that it will have downloadable content, but i think its a good assumption.

I dont really care to much about a head set that much... Unless you are playing with your friends then the people that use those things are idiots most of the time and are not worth talking to or even hearing.

Third party games are coming just give it until fall. Publishers decide where the third party games go, and publishers fallow the money. Everyone thought the wii was going to be a big flop and we all know that turned out differently. So since nintendo has been making alot of money the last year publishers are going to start running to the nintendo camp so they can make that money too.
You make a really good point and it would be a lot better if a game came with the hardrive kinda like ff11. And I bet that animal crossing will have download able content, like new things to add to your house and what not.

Back