Art thread

That's because I especially love realism, and detest cartoon.

The point is it's not all called cartoon. I like most forms of art. Actually, I can't think of some that I detest. Minimalism?

Well as long as we're throwing the names "realism" and "cartoons" around, I'd prefer cartoons. No it's nothing childish. I'm a cartoonist. I wish I had a printer I have a recent piece I'm honestly pretty proud of and would like to get yalls opinion.

That's because I especially love realism, and detest cartoon.

This is rather ironic, considering your 'Man in the Snow' piece looks more cartoony than it does real. I also remember that time we both talked on Windows Messenger, and you showed a lack of respect for those who do line art, such as: manga, cartoons, anime, etc, claiming them to be less skilled than a realistic artist. As well as those who do digital art such as drawing on the computer, calling them cheaters and claiming they couldn't recreate their work on a real canvas.

Too bad you felt the need to type in caps to try and 'win' the argument against me, following with a "I still win". You really offended me, and it's hard to forget that.

Cartoon is an old term, but it's a correct one. It originally meant the unfinished sketch-stage in works of old-century artists, but the coining of it makes sense. Those artists always blueprinted with minimalistic details and complete line-contours before finishing them. That same sketchwork appearance has been mimicked and turned into its own art form centuries later.

The word that's actually being used incorrectly, is Realism, but that requires too much effort to explain...so I'm sure we all know what we mean when it's used in here.

"Realism" and Cartoon are like two opposites, so DR.MARIO's opinions aren't unusual. The catch, though, is that the opposing strengths allow an artist of one to always learn from an artist of the other. The beauty of cartoon is its abstract, various approach. The beauty of realism is its orderly approach. I feel that getting caught up in either without acknowledging the other makes that artist too limited. To excel in both makes you unstoppable. In art, you pretty much have to tolerate everything equally.

What about a realistic cartoon? :lol:

That's kind of my philosophy as an artist. In my style, I tend to like walking a signature bridge between "realistic" and cartoon since I find merits within both approaches that I like to use. I think extremes of either can be too uninteresting (pure cartoon can often feel too ridiculous...pure realism can often feel too unexpressive) I appreciate attraction of minimalism and contour in cartoon and the power of depth and recognition with "realism". (Hence my avatar and sig)

*Looks at Gikoku's avatar*

Oh crap, I'VE BEEN SPOTTED!

*runs*

Last edited:
The beauty of cartoon is its abstract, various approach. The beauty of realism is its orderly approach. I feel that getting caught up in either without acknowledging the other makes that artist too limited. To excel in both makes you unstoppable. In art, you pretty much have to tolerate everything equally.

Yes, I completely agree. I love the seemingly boundless limitations for facial expressions alone when drawing cartoons/manga. I sometimes apply the concept of Jeet Kune Do to my artworks (sort of). Observing all art around me, but only absorbing that of which inspires me the most.. mixing with my own style and creating something fresh, and new. I'm not much in the practice of realism, but I do tolerate the form entirely.

Bio said:
That's kind of my philosophy as an artist. In my style, I tend to like walking a signature bridge between "realistic" and cartoon since I find merits within both approaches that I like to use. I think extremes of either can be too uninteresting (pure cartoon can often feel too ridiculous...pure realism can often feel too unexpressive) I appreciate attraction of minimalism and contour in cartoon and the power of depth and recognition with "realism". (Hence my avatar and sig)

I'm curious to know what everyone else's philosophy on Art is. For me, it's an expression of life, a way for me to project my inner vision to the world, or rather the unfolding of my personality, y'know, take a dip into the bucket and get a view of what's really going on inside my head.

I've lately gain a fascination for art, that has a dynamic expression & feel. Eye-popping, yet highly complex and it just makes you sit down and go...

"Wow...
thShatner-1.gif
" Sending you on an immediate journey, like a daydream.

Restricting oneself to a certain way of art, I find to give too little of freedom.. where you eventually reach the point of not being able to produce original art anymore.. such as mechanical repetition. However, I also have respect for it if it is what you feel comfortable doing, makes you feel good & happy.

*runs*

Hehe.

Anyone who's a bit free with the "expression of my inner self" thing sort of scares me.

Expressionism isn't my cup of tea at all.

I get what you meant. I'm just going further on since we're listing what genres we dislike.

They're certainly expressing themselves. I wouldn't necessarily call it art though...

Small_flower_by_pink_porcupine.jpg

As for philosophy, I'd rather define it as something that makes you think.

Last edited:
That's a great photomanip there Gymdawg! (previous page)

Anyone who's a bit free with the "expression of my inner self" thing sort of scares me.

Expressionism isn't my cup of tea at all.

Hmm, many people say that. I have no intention to generalize or label you under characteristic traits. But. You don't need to necessarily enjoy pieces under the catergory of expressionism in order to appreciate them. At best you could except that it is a fairly personal piece of work that expresses one's feelings or intepretations (well you know the definition). I rather enjoy good pieces of expressionism, half the fun is trying to figure what the message(s) are and just appreciate how they put it together on a canvas. None of us have the right to define what exactly art is.

It would need to be more than just scribbles though =P The example you have given Brawny is a good one.

Cartoon is an old term, but it's a correct one. It originally meant the unfinished sketch-stage in works of old-century artists, but the coining of it makes sense. Those artists always blueprinted with minimalistic details and complete line-contours before finishing them. That same sketchwork appearance has been mimicked and turned into its own art form centuries later.

The word that's actually being used incorrectly, is Realism, but that requires too much effort to explain...so I'm sure we all know what we mean when it's used in here.

"Realism" and Cartoon are like two opposites, so DR.MARIO's opinions aren't unusual. The catch, though, is that the opposing strengths allow an artist of one to always learn from an artist of the other. The beauty of cartoon is its abstract, various approach. The beauty of realism is its orderly approach. I feel that getting caught up in either without acknowledging the other makes that artist too limited. To excel in both makes you unstoppable. In art, you pretty much have to tolerate everything equally.

*runs*
agreed

thats why I love your style. I try the same thing. Even on things such as Sonic (my specialty :shifty:) Often showing the fur, shading, wrinkles and lines on his hands, fabric of his gloves, etc.

Darn I wish I could draw.

I can paint, do mosaics and photography. But drawing a simple face eludes me. I blame the hand cramps from too much gaming :lol:

Darn I wish I could draw.

I can paint, do mosaics and photography. But drawing a simple face eludes me. I blame the hand cramps from too much gaming :lol:

So thats what the kids are callin it these days :shifty:

This is rather ironic, considering your 'Man in the Snow' piece looks more cartoony than it does real. I also remember that time we both talked on Windows Messenger, and you showed a lack of respect for those who do line art, such as: manga, cartoons, anime, etc, claiming them to be less skilled than a realistic artist. As well as those who do digital art such as drawing on the computer, calling them cheaters and claiming they couldn't recreate their work on a real canvas.

Too bad you felt the need to type in caps to try and 'win' the argument against me, following with a "I still win". You really offended me, and it's hard to forget that.

Oh thank you so so much. I've been trying to tell him this for the longest time. Not like he'll listen. ;D

...Art for me means making something pretty. I don't think I'd have anything to do throughout my childhood if not. It's horrible to think what I'd be doing without it. xD

agreed

thats why I love your style. I try the same thing. Even on things such as Sonic (my specialty :shifty:) Often showing the fur, shading, wrinkles and lines on his hands, fabric of his gloves, etc.

Thanks! I don't often get compliments on my "style".

Interestingly, Sonic the Hedgehog has a lot to do with my drawing as well. I started drawing out with drawing only Sonic for most of my childhood, who was also my specialty before I moved on to people and human figures. Sonic inspired me to get into drawing in the first place, actually (as well as gaming).

Last edited:
Same here :lol:

As a kid my notebook was filled with Sonic. And Spaz (The artist for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books) inspired me to become a better artist. His unique style was so amazing to me when I was young.

Back