Blu-ray vs HDDVD

It's all freaking crap anyways. They should be packing 10 movies on a single Blue Ray disk. I'd pay $30 for that. They are starting to pack 3-4 movies on DVDs. Anyone pick up the Lethal Weapon movies? $8 for all 4 movies!

Another factor next year, it's called downloadable content. It may phase out Blue Ray if they continue to use ancient methods for advanced technology. We should be seeing multiple movies on Blue Ray, it has plenty of space for it, and no excuses. ... That's right, greed. Sorry I forgot about that.

Last edited:
[DT] said:
People thought HD-DVD would win because:

- Much better/faster/bug-free API (HDi)
- Better standards on 1.0 players (Ethernet, seamless branching, etc.)
- Cheaper Players
- Same PQ [as BD]
- Cheaper licensing costs
- Cheaper duplication costs
- Less DRM (no region coding, etc.)
- Historical failure of Sony on every one of their proprietary media formats
- HD-D combo formats to bridge SD-to-HD
- Public brand recognition of "DVD"
- Initially a matching share of studio support

At the end of the day the extra storage of BD had little-to-no effect on the outcome (and certainly to date, hasn't affected *any* of the currently available titles). Most people with any perspective on the HDM market would say that BD came out on top due to:

- Large payoffs to studios for support
- The PS3 (which initially was a incorrect factor in the "total players" equation, though it swayed studios)
- DRM obsessed companies like Disney chose the more protected BD format
I smell a HD-DVD fanboy.

Even if the extra space isn't being used as this point, it's definitely future-proof and I can't wait until 50GB dual-layer Blu-Ray discs are the norm and you can find them relatively cheap.

Back