Boot Camp (Mac)

wii_cammy

Banned
Feb 6, 2007
In Scotland
Wii Online Code
7340-2535-0641-6266
I'm wondering whether to install boot camp on my Mac Mini as I have a windows Xp home and wouldt mind having it on my mac mini.

What are you're thoughts on this matter and plese don't spam this thread as I wll put in a complaint.

Thanks for all who post something worthwhile here
Cameron

Yeh but will i slow my mac down at all or does it have any effect on it? and where do i get it.

Con: Since you have windows installed on the machine, you are still going to be vulnerable viruses and stuff like that even though you also have Mac OS X installed. So you are also going to have to buy an antivirus program.
Con2: I heard that if you want to switch between the 2 operating systems you are going to have to reboot your system and that might be a bit frustrating for some people

Supermariomp3 said:
Con: Since you have windows installed on the machine, you are still going to be vulnerable viruses and stuff like that even though you also have Mac OS X installed. So you are also going to have to buy an antivirus program.
Con2: I heard that if you want to switch between the 2 operating systems you are going to have to reboot your system and that might be a bit frustrating for some people
rubbish, any virus will just affect windows, not OS X. and yes you will have to reboot to switch OS, you can't VM it with only a GB of RAM, and 2GB is only just enough.

anyway, i use it, it's great, doesn't slow down your Mac, it just creates a partition for Windows to be installed on.

what ever u do, don't browse the windows files from you mac, that just compleatly mucks it up!!

You SHOULD install bootcamp, but skip XP and install a distro of Linux, either Ubuntu or Fedora. Both will work great and then you can run windows apps with wine.

redwagon76 said:
You SHOULD install bootcamp, but skip XP and install a distro of Linux, either Ubuntu or Fedora. Both will work great and then you can run windows apps with wine.
so basically install two unix OS's and then emulate windows apps. thats funny :lol:

Gaz said:
so basically install two unix OS's and then emulate windows apps. thats funny :lol:
It is kind of funny when you put it that way. It's worked for me. I just wish there a program wine-like for OS X. One piece of advise, if you have to have windows don't ever use vista (aka Windows ME) it's complete rubbish, boot camp works fantastic with windows xp Professional, haven't tried home, but I imagine it works ok

redwagon76 said:
It is kind of funny when you put it that way. It's worked for me. I just wish there a program wine-like for OS X. One piece of advise, if you have to have windows don't ever use vista (aka Windows ME) it's complete rubbish, boot camp works fantastic with windows xp Professional, haven't tried home, but I imagine it works ok
You've never heard of Darwine? Its a port of Wine to OS X.

I run OSX on my old POS dell natively. Currently I'm on 10.4.8 because I've been too lazy to update to 10.4.9

Got rid of my G4 Titanium and my overclocked mini.

I suggest getting a fast firewire external HD and using that to install windows so you don't have to change partition sizes on your main HD.

redwagon76 said:
i didn't say it wasn't going to work, just saying it was stupid.
Vista works fine thanks, i got it, does exactly what i need, and thats nothing!

ciper said:
I run OSX on my old POS dell natively. Currently I'm on 10.4.8 because I've been too lazy to update to 10.4.9

Got rid of my G4 Titanium and my overclocked mini.

I suggest getting a fast firewire external HD and using that to install windows so you don't have to change partition sizes on your main HD.

I wouldn't be so proud of that if i was you, installing OS X on a machine that doesn't have an apple logo on it is against the licence agreement, and apple have been known to take that seriously.

Last edited:
Gaz said:
I wouldn't be so proud of that if i was you, installing OS X on a machine that doesn't have an apple logo on it is against the licence agreement, and apple have been known to take that seriously.
Once you buy a copy of OSX you are allowed to install it on up to 5 machines. Try again hater.

Besides does the name "Power Computing" or "Umax" mean anything to you?

ciper said:
Once you buy a copy of OSX you are allowed to install it on up to 5 machines. Try again hater.
read you licence agreement.

ok i will point out where for you...

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

Try again hater. :lol:

Wrong license agreement. The family update pack specifically says its for use on up to 5 computers.
Hmm but it does say "apple labeled" so I guess Im in trouble. Call loose_cannon

edit:
Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household

If apple took it so seriously the insanelymac forums would no longer exist.

Either way its a well known that a PC runs OSX faster than an Apple of the same price. A Lenovo is of equal quality as an Apple so why spend the extra money?

Last edited:
Back