Buying a PS3

samXcor3

the best kid!
Oct 2, 2007
Wii Online Code
3732-3369-2853-4491
Hey guys I'm looking into buying a PS3 to suit my hardcore gamer needs. I figure any good game out for 360 is going to be or is out for ps3 without the red ring. Haha. I just have a few questions

Which models are backwards compatible?

Does NHL 08 use the skill stick?

Are HD cables sold with the system or separately?
Do rumble controllers come with the system? Can you buy separately?

JAKE196 said:
. . . well anywho

the 60 and 40 gig versions have backwards compatibility.

thats all i know.
Actually, the 40GB version doesn't have backwards compatibility, I believe.

I am also on the verge of getting into "hardcore" gaming... and in particular getting a PS3.. I have done lots of looking around and had the same questions you did (minus the NHL stuff)

SO! The models that are BC are all off the market right now. They were the 60 and 80. The 60 is no longer in stores and the 80 was just discontinued; but the 80 may still be around in some stores. As a side note the 60 had emulation that was capable of playing more than the 80 due to a difference of hardware v software emulation respectively. You could get one on ebay but I think your any warranty would be at risk that way.

You have to buy HDMI cables separately; and the dualshock3 (the rumble controller isnt out in the US yet (wait till spring).

ANYWHO-What i decided was to wait till a new SKU (with a larger hardrive than 80 reportedly) comes out.. most likely it will have BC and it will come with a DS3, likely. No clue as to when that happens... but I will be there when it does.

Rep?

RROD for 360 is pretty rare now and the xbox has a huger selection of games

Lol at Jake, This is why people who don't own a PS3 shouldn't be posting here.

60 and 80gig had BC but those are discontinued so there's only 40gig with no BC. HD Cables are sold seperately for like $25, Controllers have no rumble but they are supposed to be releasing dual shock controllers in spring.

SantaClaws said:
RROD for 360 is pretty rare now and the xbox has a huger selection of games
Is huger a word? The XBOX 360 is just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS. I haven't used mine in months. The PS3 is superior at the moment and the upcoming 08 and 09 releases for the PS3 are looking much better than those of the XBOX 360.

RROD isn't rare for the XBOX 360. The failure rate is still relatively high and when Microsoft replaces your XBOX 360, they can just give you the old model which will probably fail on you again in a few days.

OP: The 60GB has full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility, the 80GB is backwards compatible with most PS2 games and PS1 games and the 40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games, not PS2 games.

Why don't all models have complete backwards compatibility?

I'm debating getting a PS3 or 360 to go with my wii toward the end of the summer.

Skorp said:

I'm debating getting a PS3 or 360 to go with my wii toward the end of the summer.
I think Sony

(a) wanted more people to purchase PS3 games
and/or (b) had to spend more money to create a console with the PS2 chip in it and didn't want to spend that money

After that, they went to software emulation (80GB) but now the 40GB just has software emulation for PS1 games for unknown reasons.

Skorp said:

A TON of people already own a PS2 and those are who Sony will be trying to appeal to with lowered prices.. no BC = lower price

mukeliller said:
I am also on the verge of getting into "hardcore" gaming... and in particular getting a PS3.. I have done lots of looking around and had the same questions you did (minus the NHL stuff)

SO! The models that are BC are all off the market right now. They were the 60 and 80. The 60 is no longer in stores and the 80 was just discontinued; but the 80 may still be around in some stores. As a side note the 60 had emulation that was capable of playing more than the 80 due to a difference of hardware v software emulation respectively. You could get one on ebay but I think your any warranty would be at risk that way.

You have to buy HDMI cables separately; and the dualshock3 (the rumble controller isnt out in the US yet (wait till spring).

ANYWHO-What i decided was to wait till a new SKU (with a larger hardrive than 80 reportedly) comes out.. most likely it will have BC and it will come with a DS3, likely. No clue as to when that happens... but I will be there when it does.

Rep?

Im in the market for a Ps3. is this new SKU going to happen in 08? im seeing the 80gig in stock at toysrus but if theres going to be a bigger better model i would want to wait i think? Are the HD's are easy to upgrade? i really want the 60 gig for the PS2 compatibility but i cant find one. :(

Back