Component Cables

No Smoking said:
Yes they do make a difference everything is clearer and crisper colours look more colourful also if that makes any sense. All the cables are pretty much the same just get the cheapest

all the cables are not pretty much the same though... guage and the metal used makes a difference too. I wouldn't just go out and by "the cheapest you can find". try to get gold plated leads at least.

Wiggly said:
all the cables are not pretty much the same though... guage and the metal used makes a difference too. I wouldn't just go out and by "the cheapest you can find". try to get gold plated leads at least.

Unless your installing an extremely long cable run, gauge isn't as important. For a six foot cable, the monoprice cables I listed above should work just fine with no interference problems since they have pretty decent shielding. Now if we start talking about installation lengths of 20-50 feet, then the cable gauge should be bumped up to at least 22 AWG. This helps reduce interference and signal loss.

And don't get me started on the gold connector myth. :lol: Unless the output connectors of your component are gold plated, you should never use cables that are because you run into the problem of dissimilar metals. This can actually cause a number of connection problems.

How do I know this? I do home theater installations. A lot of us installers have a field day laughing at all of the cable myths out there. People swear that high price Monster cables make a difference. The only thing Monster cables are good for is making sure you have less money in your wallet than before. Gold connectors? Right.

Every installer I know uses monoprice.com because the cables are built extremely well and at a decent price. In fact, the manufacturers of the cables at monoprice actually manufacture cables for a lot of the other big names in the cable business.

That's my cable rant for the day. :)

Last edited:
ToddH said:
Every installer I know uses monoprice.com because the cables are built extremely well and at a decent price. In fact, the manufacturers of the cables at monoprice actually manufacture cables for a lot of the other big names in the cable business.

Well I live in Australia so if I was to get cables from there then it would take a while to get here wouldn't it?

ToddH said:
Unless your installing an extremely long cable run, gauge isn't as important. For a six foot cable, the monoprice cables I listed above should work just fine with no interference problems since they have pretty decent shielding. Now if we start talking about installation lengths of 20-50 feet, then the cable gauge should be bumped up to at least 22 AWG. This helps reduce interference and signal loss.

And don't get me started on the gold connector myth. :lol: Unless the output connectors of your component are gold plated, you should never use cables that are because you run into the problem of dissimilar metals. This can actually cause a number of connection problems.

How do I know this? I do home theater installations. A lot of us installers have a field day laughing at all of the cable myths out there. People swear that high price Monster cables make a difference. The only thing Monster cables are good for is making sure you have less money in your wallet than before. Gold connectors? Right.

Thanks, I was about to type something out on how much of a rip-off monster cables are, and that most are pretty much the same. I'm currently using free component cables that came with my VGA box, and they work flawlessly.

ToddH said:

wow thats good to know! thanks lol :lol:

I used to do car audio installations though (not professially) and doesnt length, and guage have a lot to do with the ohms and impedance (sp?). requiring bigger than 22g... My old man uses 16g on his home theater...

also the metal wire DOES make a diff right? like copper would be better than tin correct?

I got some component cables for $5 from DealExtreme.com works just as good as the official nintendo component cables I used to have, so I returned the nintendo one. It took about a month to get, but for $5 and free shipping it was worth it!

I picked up the Powerwave ones today. They didn't really seem to improve the picture much, but the edges were jagged. Btw this was in Super Mario Galaxy. Was it just this brand or is that normal?

Yeungy said:
I picked up the Powerwave ones today. They didn't really seem to improve the picture much, but the edges were jagged. Btw this was in Super Mario Galaxy. Was it just this brand or is that normal?

Jagged on those flowers when you first wake up in the beginning? Yes, that's normal, and there's nothing you can do about it. You will notice a difference in the colours though. They are a lot more vibrant when you're using a component cable.

metroid-juggling.png

Metroid on my monitor in 480p​

There's more definition in the darker areas on this display than there is on a standard TV (at least on mine)

Back