Disc keeps spinning continously ingame is this a Problem?

Uchuu

WiiChat Member
Dec 9, 2011
Hello,

I have a question.
As I am new to consoles wich use DVD´s, I don´t know if the behaviour of my Wii is good.

In Zelda if I am close to waterregions or some dungeonrooms, the cd often tends to keep spinning all the time. I think normaly it should load some things and stop spinning.
Only if I go to the save menu and then back, the spinning stops. If I entered a region where the cd starts with the spinning and dont enter a new room it happens to spin all the time through, like 10 minutes without loading anything new, because all has been loaded already to the existing region.

Also the Game disc and my other game discs have some concentric circles on the edges, they are not scratches, but colorful and only visible if I look at it under a light bulb.

Is this normal for Wii games?
It never happens to me in Wii sports.

I searched around and found different answers:

1 gently use windex on the discs

2 stop leaving discs in the wii when not in use

3 send to nintendo for repairs (if under warranty) or a local shop that repairs wiis

4 buy a used wii as replacement, they are getting cheap!

5 repair it yourself (use google and see if you trust yourself enough to do it)

hope that helps :)

Thank you for your help, I just recently purchased it so I think I can give it to repairs for sure.

So it seems it is a faulty behavior of the Wii wich u have never encountered?

Depending on the game, it may be reading data frequently from the disc. Not everything can fit in memory at once.

And as long as your discs don't have scratches, then whatever you are seeing is from the manufacturing process and is most likely not a problem, especially if you see it on other discs too.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to repair to me.

Depending on the game, it may be reading data frequently from the disc. Not everything can fit in memory at once.

And as long as your discs don't have scratches, then whatever you are seeing is from the manufacturing process and is most likely not a problem, especially if you see it on other discs too.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to repair to me.

Well if it is okay, then nice, I have some scratches on the disc, one small one on the edge and well I never touched the surface so I dont know where it came from. I saw some dust on it and decided the endless loading could come from there so I cleaned it like the wii manual states, but after a day a few new little scratches appeared only seeing if i hold the cd to the light bulb.
The problem is, I have no scratches at all on Wii sports, but I used it also not as much as Zelda...
As far as I used Cd´s in my life for the computer they never got scratches from myself and I cleaned them too over the years thats why I am a bit buffled.

In other words: I dont know exactly where the scratches came from, so I considered that MAYBE the endless spinning of the cd is causing it. But as I am new in console spinning things I wanted to hear your experiences.

Now Wii froze

Hello fellow Wii users,

Well things aren´t going to good now. I was playing Zelda again, thought, well all is okay, maybe the scratches got somehow on it, just kept on playing, and then my Wii totaly froze.
The game made a big repeating noise, and I couldnt do anything, not reset, not shut the Wii up, the good thing was I could eject the disc out, so is this also normal behaviour of Wii´s that can happen, a game glitch?
Or is something really wrong?

Wow... Sorry to hear your experiences with the wii aren't so grand right from the get-go, friend.

The Wii will still work, read discs, etc. correct? I've experienced rare random freezes with Super Smash Bros. Brawl of the same variety; they're entirely random, and everything but eject locks up. This is a hardly educated guess, but I'd say it's something that can happen with the Wii. I wouldn't say this is normal, but more likely than not your Wii won't be breaking down any time soon. Sorry I don't have any conclusive answers, but I'm sure someone will answer better than me.

Wow... Sorry to hear your experiences with the wii aren't so grand right from the get-go, friend.

The Wii will still work, read discs, etc. correct? I've experienced rare random freezes with Super Smash Bros. Brawl of the same variety; they're entirely random, and everything but eject locks up. This is a hardly educated guess, but I'd say it's something that can happen with the Wii. I wouldn't say this is normal, but more likely than not your Wii won't be breaking down any time soon. Sorry I don't have any conclusive answers, but I'm sure someone will answer better than me.

Well until now I tried a bit Zelda and it worked still correct. I read around in the net and found out many others who had this experiences. I will check the game more now.
I love Nintendo, but I didn´t count to experience any difficulties, as I own a SNES and N64, and I never experienced such things before, no game crashed, never had problems with the consoles who still work after many years.
But this Wii makes problems.. it seems.
Thank you for your point of information too!

I´m still thinking about bringing it back to the shop were I bought it to replace it or not.

So more comments about Wii user experiences with continous spinning of the disc ingame although nothing is loading /scratches and Wii freezes are welcome.

I only had general suggestions. sometimes but rarely my wii froze and I had to unplug it. That is normal for a 5 year old wii.

If the console is just that new might you have a in-store warranty? Some small scratches on discs are average but what you have is worth taking back before your warranty is out.

Solutions

I only had general suggestions. sometimes but rarely my wii froze and I had to unplug it. That is normal for a 5 year old wii.

If the console is just that new might you have a in-store warranty? Some small scratches on discs are average but what you have is worth taking back before your warranty is out.

Thank you for your suggestions,

After reading all your informations and thinking it through...
yeah I will bring it back, I´ll get the infos about bringing it back to the shop, in the while I play the game through, so I dont have to start from scratch with the new console that would be a bit lame but sending it to Nintendo would cost me two weeks of wait and that would be also not what I want now.

I understood a few things from your comments and my own research on the net:

Wii Disc spinning:

I think "disc spinning although level is loaded" is normal as a user here stated it can´t load all data at once, and in some occasions it has to think forward and keep on rotating the disc so it can load the levels close to the loaded one fast, so no interruptions occur. But I don´t know for 100% sure.

Edit: After many months of use of my new Wii I can add that I believe the Wii should not make any rattling sounds. The new model works almost silent making smooth loading sounds everyonce in a while for 1-3 seconds. Sometimes when it loads much it can last aproxymately 20-30 seconds I´d say, maybe a bit longer.
My damaged Wii made kind of loading sounds / rattling noise for minutes and this isn´t normal.

Wii Disc scratches:

Disc scratches can happen, but too many shouldn´t be there if you care for your discs, that I also know from my own experience with DVD´s and CD´s. I have some that are 6 years old and have no or almost no scratches. The 6 or 7 scratches I found on the game disc are too many for a disc thats roughly 3 weeks old, so I think the console is misusing the game. Also I found a scratch on Wii sports, that is really deep on the outside, I didn´t see the scratch in the begin and I never misused the disc too, so the Wii must have somehow scratched it.

Wii freezing:

The Wii should not freeze ingame if it is not some years old.
It can happen because the game is faulty, but for me it seems it´s the Wii wich made the game faulty and now the Wii itself gets problems too.
From what I read, Wii´s can freeze if they are very overheated (not in my case, it was on for one hour and before that it wasn´t even in standby but shut off completely)

Solution: Nintendo repair, or giving it again to the shop (Nintendo will keep your gamedata and VC games etc. saved if you ask them to, and a shop can give you a replacement Wii but your data will be lost)
If going to the shop don´t forget to erase all personal data from the Wii.

I hope this helps others who have the same problems.

Last edited:
Back