Evolution: Are you being brainwashed?

Brawny said:
kk, the first part about mormonism is very true. They call themselves Christians but are rejected by the Christian community.

Second, I would probably call you an agnostic, talk to kelso as she is pretty firm in her beliefs in this as well.

Agnostic is still a religion. I do not wish to be affiliated with any religion because I do not believe in religion.

I told her, "look kid, we have more proof that dinosaurs existed than we have proof that god ever did or does or that the bible is even real."
Actually in the bible, dinosaurs did exists, they just refered to them as dragons ;)

kitkat_bar said:
One girl decided never to talk to me because I didn't believe that when the end of the world happens, it won't be blood in water and frogs from the sky...but giant praying mantisis will eat all the bad people alive.
Read this. 1THEN THE fifth angel blew [his] trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth; and to the angel was given the key of the shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit).

2He opened the long shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit), and smoke like the smoke of a huge furnace puffed out of the long shaft, so that the sun and the atmosphere were darkened by the smoke from the long shaft.

3Then out of the smoke locusts came forth on the earth, and such power was granted them as the power the earth's scorpions have.

4They were told not to injure the herbage of the earth nor any green thing nor any tree, but only [to attack] such human beings as do not have the seal (mark) of God on their foreheads.

5They were not permitted to kill them, but to torment (distress, vex) them for five months; and the pain caused them was like the torture of a scorpion when it stings a person.

6And in those days people will seek death and will not find it; and they will yearn to die, but death evades and flees from them.

7The locusts resembled horses equipped for battle. On their heads was something like golden crowns. Their faces resembled the faces of people.

8They had hair like the hair of women, and their teeth were like lions' teeth.
9Their breastplates (scales) resembled breastplates made of iron, and the [whirring] noise made by their wings was like the roar of a vast number of horse-drawn chariots going at full speed into battle.

10They have tails like scorpions, and they have stings, and in their tails lies their ability to hurt men for [the] five months.

-Revelation 9:1-10

kitkat_bar said:
Agnostic is still a religion. I do not wish to be affiliated with any religion because I do not believe in religion.

Here's the most common definition of "religion" from dictionary.com
dictionary.com said:
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

So, unless you are a sociopath, you will always have a religion.

OK, like I said earlier, this has nothing to do with religion, it's about evolution. But if somebody says something about religion that isn't true, I am obligated to defend it. A religion (vaugely) is something you beleive in. Technically, everybody has a religion. If you don't beleive you have a religion, that that is your religion... :cornut:
I'll add more this weekend. This week has been extremely stressful so I haven't had the time to add anything ;)

--Have a nice day everybody ^_^

Samus101 said:
Read this. 1THEN THE fifth angel blew [his] trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth; and to the angel was given the key of the shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit).

2He opened the long shaft of the Abyss (the bottomless pit), and smoke like the smoke of a huge furnace puffed out of the long shaft, so that the sun and the atmosphere were darkened by the smoke from the long shaft.

3Then out of the smoke locusts came forth on the earth, and such power was granted them as the power the earth's scorpions have.

4They were told not to injure the herbage of the earth nor any green thing nor any tree, but only [to attack] such human beings as do not have the seal (mark) of God on their foreheads.

5They were not permitted to kill them, but to torment (distress, vex) them for five months; and the pain caused them was like the torture of a scorpion when it stings a person.

6And in those days people will seek death and will not find it; and they will yearn to die, but death evades and flees from them.

7The locusts resembled horses equipped for battle. On their heads was something like golden crowns. Their faces resembled the faces of people.

8They had hair like the hair of women, and their teeth were like lions' teeth.
9Their breastplates (scales) resembled breastplates made of iron, and the [whirring] noise made by their wings was like the roar of a vast number of horse-drawn chariots going at full speed into battle.

10They have tails like scorpions, and they have stings, and in their tails lies their ability to hurt men for [the] five months.

-Revelation 9:1-10

Right...and I believe that is a bunch of crap. It's fairy tale.

So because the Bible is older that makes it 100% true? The Origin Of Species was written after much observation and study whereas the Bible was more of a collection of oral stories that were written anywhere from 40-70 years after Jesus was allegedly crucified. 70 years seems more probable due to some of the references of actual historic happenings, however vaguely.

And religion, more appropriately used is more of a system of belief geared more toward "beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

It is also "the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith."

The way you guys are referring to it like this, "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience"

Can't necessarily be so generalized. The key point of that latter definition is "follows devotedly". Everyone believes truths of all kinds though that by no means can be defined as religion. Religion as it is being used by some of you is more of a "religious zeal" towards something though not necessarily in belief pattern: Those vary from person to person and I personally don't ascribe to any foundational one. It is an excuse as a way to justify, so please, leave it be.

Last edited:
Samus101 said:
The Bible was written way BEFORE Darwin's stupid books. So evolution is the REAL fairytale.
Yes, but using that logic, you shouldn't be worshipping a Christian God. There's plenty of other religions that are older than Christianity. Judiasm for example. How about the ancient Greeks and Romans? How about the ancient Maian civilization? Time does not determine the truth...

Samus101 said:
The Bible was written way BEFORE Darwin's stupid books. So evolution is the REAL fairytale.

Yes but who wrote it? They are all tales that are supposed to teach us moral values.

Oh and please for the record, though we all love wikipedia can we not quote from it? Wikipedia is free written, meaning anyone can write the definition for the word therefore it is not nessicarily always true.

sorry samus, but I have to agree with everyone else.

also, stop bashing wikipedia, it is very good, you think any idiot can put a bogus element on the periodic table or something? Lots of reviews before it goes public. Also try curriki.org, an open-source school curriculum sort of thing. You know that a textbook written by a couple people has a lot more room for bias than a web article edited by millions.

Not all christians are like samus101, just for the record

Back